Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install on D:\ drive

55 REPLIES 55
SOLVED
Message 1 of 56
Anonymous
103216 Views, 55 Replies

Install on D:\ drive

I'm attempting to install Autodesk on the D:\ partition on my computer.

I can select the installation path and choose D:\ just fine... however, as soon as I hit install, I get an "out of disk space" error message which highlights the C:\ partition. (which is one of the reasons I want to install it on D:\).

I'm attempting to install Autodesk Inventer 2012 on a Windows 7 64b OS.

Any help?

55 REPLIES 55
Message 21 of 56
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have a 64GB C: drive and a 1TB 😧 drive which is plenty, the only time i have space issues is while trying to download inventor
Message 22 of 56
TravisNave

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a 64GB C: drive and a 1TB 😧 drive which is plenty, the only time i have space issues is while trying to download inventor

Change your temp locations over to the other drive in Windows so that the download doesn't occur on your full C:\ drive.  There are plenty of different user folders, download folder, browser cache folders, swap files, and temp folders that can be moved, freeing up tons of space on your primary drive. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 23 of 56
Anonymous
in reply to: dembkod

I couldn't quite get this to work for me - it still insists on installing AutoCAD on the C Drive, as well as cluttering it with install information. I also have a very lean C drive due to formatting and do not wish to reformat, losing information. Are there step by step instructions for working around Autodesk's shortsightedness? I see the 1, 2, 3, 4, steps... but t's not quite so easy in reality. Hoping there's a solution or something I've missed!

Message 24 of 56
natasha.l

Hello @Anonymous, 

Please refer to the steps below, I tried to include some more helpful information to help you conduct the steps suggested by David above. 

1. Run a “Browser Download” not an “Install now”. This gives you movable install files, put them on a non C drive or USB, whatever
  2. Empty your temp folder, to open the TEMP folder, type %TEMP% in the Windows Start search bar
  3. Open your enviroment variables and Redirect your Temp folder to a non C: drive
  4. Run the installer and point the install location to a non C: drive. If there is no prerequisite forcing the install to C: it should install where you direct it

Thank you for posting. 

Remember to please “Accept As Solution” if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 25 of 56
natasha.l

Hello @Anonymous, 

Just checking in with you, hope you were able to resolve this.

Please “Accept As Solution” if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community. 

Message 26 of 56
Anonymous
in reply to: natasha.l

it is impossible to instal on drive that you want..... so i need to buy new bigger ssd?????' who wold give to me money to buy it??????????????

Message 27 of 56
Anonymous
in reply to: dembkod

This can be deleted.

Message 28 of 56
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

---

Message 29 of 56
Anonymous

Currently trying the solution from natashal84

Message 30 of 56
Anonymous

Hi, 

So, I'm actually having a very similar issue. I am using a Macbook Pro (Early 2017, No Touch Bar, 128SSD). I have partitioned my drive (1 for MacOS and 1 for Windows 10).

My Partition for Windows 10 has 40GB which isn't enough space for Inventor. So, I brought an external SSD (Similar to an external hard drive). The external drive has 500GB of space. I am currently trying to install AutoCad Inventor onto it but it is not letting me.

Each time I select the 😧 Drive, it says "Out of Space." Then I am provided with two options "Retry" and "Ok". On my External drive, I have 400GB of free space but it keeps telling me the same thing. On my actual Mac Drive, I am short by 10GB and it simply doesn't let me download on my 😧 Drive. Help me ASAP please

Message 31 of 56
Anonymous

did you read this entire thread?

there were tips given

if none of these gave you enough space then you will need to make the windows partion much bigger

Message 32 of 56
Anonymous

Not a viable solution, I have multiple applications that need to be installed on C:\
I am unable to move them. It is on the developers to adapt to the change that has been around for 10 years.

If I get told by the company: "Just get a bigger SSD", "250GB is enough space" Well no neither is true. Assuming that Autodesk would be the only application that enforces C:\, but that is not the case. Please change this.

Message 33 of 56
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

You can install on another drive.  I have all my Autodesk products running on my "D" driver.  But some parts of the installation files are necessary to be installed on the root system drive. Shortcuts, registry settings, and profile customization are all examples of this (as Travis N as pointed out many times).

If the installation portion, select the black down arrow under each section and change where the stuff is going.  Simple as that.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 34 of 56
Anonymous

I'm  having the same isssue when installing Revit 2019, i chose drive 😧 for everything - including every single sub path etc i could select drive for, Yet over 90% (12.5 gb) has to be installed in my much smaller C drive which also has my OS and only 1.50 gb actually goes to 😧 . I'm in awe that the system drive is this important with Autodesk programs.

Edit: Solution is to uninstall your little brothers Fortnite game and re-install it on the slower, larger drive.

Message 35 of 56
Anonymous
in reply to: natasha.l

This solution worked for me. Downloaded on the "D:" (secondary) drive, then when installing chose the desired drive for the installation and solved my free space issue.

Message 36 of 56
leowarren34

For a good IV WS I would struggle to recommend anything under 256gb, I have just enough and have to be super careful on storage as I have a reserve partition, about 20GBs which ensures everything works, Whats this means is that a 100GB is effectively 90 as itll crawl when you fill it up. I moved all my default folders over to magnetic and works fine if you have enough RAM as secondary media is painful to page.

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 37 of 56
Anonymous
in reply to: TravisNave

there is a folder that is called content Center that is on a fresh install 4.8 GB that is force installed to the C drive, this sounds like a file you should be able to place anywhere as it only contain content for inventory to use, like a libary. so i do not see why this folder HAVE to stay in the C drive. and i'm sure there is other files that with some good will can be made optional where to put. solidworks do a good job with this, there is less than 1 GB that you can't deside where is goes....

Message 38 of 56
leowarren34

It's somewhat fustrating which is why I struggle to recommend anything under 250GB, I hope for future releases this is tweaked as it's a super simple change.

Leo Warren
Tags (1)
Message 39 of 56
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

sorry but this is a very lousy and weak excuse only ...

99% Windows programs CAN be installed on any drove not only C. It is a FACT!

So stop treating us like that. OK?

There are only a few real reasons I can see now:

1 you are too lazy to change this

2 you are not able to do this due to your lack of skills or bad code you wrote so far which can't be changed

3 you are not caring about your customers

That is my personal opinion.

Message 40 of 56
leowarren34

I know this is fustrating and it hopefully will be fixed, just remember not to make opinions personal, keeps a positive atmosphere.
Leo Warren
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report