Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install on D:\ drive

53 REPLIES 53
SOLVED
Message 1 of 54
Anonymous
101716 Views, 53 Replies

Install on D:\ drive

I'm attempting to install Autodesk on the D:\ partition on my computer.

I can select the installation path and choose D:\ just fine... however, as soon as I hit install, I get an "out of disk space" error message which highlights the C:\ partition. (which is one of the reasons I want to install it on D:\).

I'm attempting to install Autodesk Inventer 2012 on a Windows 7 64b OS.

Any help?

53 REPLIES 53
Message 2 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Ok, I was able to force the installation by changing the instal locations of the individual components (on the install screen). As I remember it, the libraries were still attempting to install in the C: drive.

I changed that install path and the install continued as planned...

About 75% through, I received another "Out of Space Error" but the install continued. At the completion of the install, I received a message saying that not everything installed properly and a log file popped up.

I was an idiot and started the uninstal process before making note of the log file...

Still, any suggestions about why Autodesk is STILL trying to install on the C: drive?

Message 3 of 54
TravisNave

No matter what, you're still going to have files installed on C:\ that exist in your user profile, programdata, start menu, icons, MSI registrations, registry, etc.  Sounds like you need to clean your hard drive and make some space.  Consider moving your Windows swap file to D:\.  Not only does that often speed up memory paging, but it can save you multiple gigs.  Also, if you're running Windows Vista or 7, then disable the hibernation file.  That'll save you more and more gigs.  Clear your %TEMP% folder (that's where your log is, btw) and save even more space. I bet with these steps you can clear 6-8GB easily.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: TravisNave

TravisNave Thank you for the response. I actually run a very lean C:\ drive (with less than 3GB free currently) and have already done the below mentioned steps. Unless there is a way to do a full install on the D:\, it looks like I won't be able to use the product then.
Message 5 of 54
TravisNave

It's not really possible to install any software completely on D:\ unless it is all self-contained.  Every typical Windows certified application installs additional files to the locations that I mentioned above.  You should really consider cloning your C:\ to a larger hard drive, as you should never have less than 20% free on C:\ for performance reasons. 

If that is not an option, consider moving your profile over to D:\ as well as your %TEMP% locations, your Microsoft Office Cache folder, and potentially any other personal file that does not have to exist there. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 54
Anonymous

I am having exact same issue with refusal to install to 😧 drive which has 900MB free. (Revit 2013)

C: drive has space, just not enough to satisfy installation, and in any case would totally fill all available space if I removed the very few items that could be moved. Basically C: is off limits. Now what?

Message 7 of 54
TravisNave

See my post above about moving temp, vm, and other files elsewhere to free up space.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 54
Anonymous

It dose not work for people how uses SSD as boot drive and HDD as D drive 

It is always has small space even you move all possible file and programs from SSD to HDD 

autodesk consumes to much and by many attempts can not be outed on D. 

please make same update that it would be possible to put it on D drive 

Message 9 of 54
Anonymous

I'm selecting D:\ as in the install drive and having the same space issue. I understand that all programs put some items on the same drive as the operating system. However the install of design suite seems to be trying to put an excessive amount of files on the C:\. In my case it is trying to put 53GB on the C: drive and only 14GB on the 😧 drive.

It wouldn't matter how clean the C: drive was, being an SSD 53GB will not fit. Any ideas? 

Message 10 of 54
Anonymous

The odd thing is that these little things stored on the C: no matter what is 7gb for me... thats quite a lot...

Message 11 of 54
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Welcome to the community..

Check out what @TravisNave has to say about this...

"Please understand that some parts of the installation files are necessary to be installed on the root system drive. Shortcuts, registry settings, and profile customization are all examples of this. However, you may be able to make some system changes that will allow you to install your Autodesk product and avoid this error. Some of these including moving the location of your temp directories and other space saving measures.

Please review Travis' KB article for more information

ALso you need to expand each application that's getting installed and select where the individual items are going.  Good luck and report back on your progress.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 12 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Well, thanks for nothing...

Message 13 of 54
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Thanks for nothing...  Not sure what you mean..  What information providing is not helping out?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 14 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

None of these methods to free up space are enough, and we shouldn't have to move anything. I understand that some files will still need to be located on C:, but the bulk of the data should be stored on 😧 (Adobe does this https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1277196)
I think Autodesk should do something similar to really solve this issue. ( I use AutoCAD, Revit and Maya)

"The last link doesn't help at all"

Message 15 of 54
dembkod

bensouf1,

Hello. The installer needs what it needs to install. Bottom line, it needs space- it’s telling you it needs more. You can move some items for an install and not others. If you are using an older SSD, your machine may just not have enough space for your working needs.

The program will not change what it needs, we really need to work with this fact. Back when SSD drives came out users were getting 50 or 60 gig drives- which is certainly not enough space for modern applications. Gigs are taken by the OS, not including temp and other programs. More recent drives 250Gig or so, have plenty of space.

If you are using Windows 10, you may be able to free space by removing the older windows backup roll-back files. These can consume space that may be better used for your other programs. 

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 16 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: dembkod

No, the installer is trying to install a very large amount in an unspecified location. There is no reason the entirety of the application cannot be installed in the user specified location other than bad design. It's true some application configuration data belongs in the user profile, but the amount that you are trying to put there is insane.

Message 17 of 54
Anonymous

Just thought that I would chime in.  This is absolutely not standard in any way.  Autodesk products are literally the only programs that I have come across that are doing this.  When people are saying that you need some space on the C drive, they are correct, but there is absolutely no reason that it should be this size.  For example, I have Matlab installed on my D drive and the amount of space that it requires on my C drive is less than 50mb.  

Saying that not having 20+ gigs free on one drive isn't up to standards seems laughably out of touch.  It's still completely normal to buy computers that have a relatively small SSD and one or more larger 7200rpm disk drives.  Plus, in an educational or work environment individual users often have separate space on different drives, etc.  

I was going to use/recommend some Autodesk programs for a class that I'm teaching, but this kind of thing definitely is stopping me right now.  Maybe for somebody working at a company practically unlimited resources, this sort of thing doesn't matter.  For the (potentially) future users, this sort of thing is the kind of thing that makes you choose a different program and abandon Autodesk products.  Here's hoping that they fix it instead of just assuming that everyone has the same resources that their design team did.  It's lazy programming on someone's part and it's absolutely not how anyone else is doing, so please stop responding with the same responses telling people to make more space or get a new hard drive.  It's not helpful and just adds to the frustration of people trying to use the product.  At least admit that it's a flaw and that it should be fixed, instead of pretending like it's the user's fault.

Message 18 of 54
Anonymous

This is still a problem in 2018!

And no, I do not accept that Autodesk "has" to install 15+ GB of user and registry files onto my C drive. Almost no other software I've ever used does this. More and more people are using SSDs for their main hard drive as was mentioned.

When you say the user has the choice where to install, but 80% + is forced on C drive? That's not a choice. I would like to use Revit, but I'm not going to gut my C drive to satisfy the whims of Autodesk's obnoxious software design choices.

Message 19 of 54
dembkod

glenn.mathieson,

Hello. There are multiple components that need to go somewhere. Some can be moved, others cannot. Depends on the program, specifically. 80% on the C: drive – what program is this exactly? I am certainly curious, as I install on non C: drives with little problem. But I don’t know what program you are looking at…

Some programs cluster. If you are installing a suite using a suite installer, and you have one program in the suite already installed on C: they will all be forced to cluster together on C:.

All AutoCADs and verticals install in the same folder location. If you have AutoCAD installed, Electrical uses the same files.

Honestly, if you have a 100Gig SSD or less as your C: drive- this is really small. It just is. Really small drives will fill quickly and tend to give you space errors. Either because of the temp folders or extract directory.  

For people running out of space that are sure they have enough space, you need to worry about your install type, and the various locations.

When running into a special problem, you have to look at the basics:

• Run a “Browser Download” not an “Install now”. This gives you movable install files, put them on a non C drive or USB, whatever
  • Empty your temp folder
  • Open your system variables and Redirect your Temp folder to a non C: drive
  • Run the installer and point the install location to a non C: drive. If there is no prerequisite forcing the install to C: it should install where you direct it

Thanks for the post!

David Dembkoski
Message 20 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: dembkod

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying a download install now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report