Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Start Guide for Configuring LMTOOLS

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
TravisNave
68445 Views, 13 Replies

In an effort to provide a quick and easy configuration guide for the Autodesk Network License Manager, I have decided to list the basic steps below.  Following these simple steps should allow you to quickly and easily configure a working NLM on your network.  

For more information on this process, please see the Autodesk KB article here:

Single server network license manager quick start guide

Purpose:  The purpose of this document is to provide a quick setup guide for configuring a single license server system using Flexera LMTOOLS and your Autodesk network licensed product. 

This guide assumes that you have installed the Autodesk Network License Manager into the default install location using the media provided by Autodesk or from the direct download online.  You can obtain the Autodesk Network License Manager files here:

Autodesk IPv6 Network License Manager for Windows

STEP 1:  Launch LMTOOLS from the Desktop icon created after installation (or by launching it from the Start menu.) 

On the Service/License File tab, choose the radio button that reads Configuration using ServicesOptional: Check the box LMTOOLS ignores license file path environment variables.

1ServiceTab.JPG

STEP 2:  Verify that the license .LIC file you obtained from Autodesk matches the hostname and Ethernet MAC address on the System Settings tab.  If you have not obtained your .LIC file yet, you can obtain one by contacting Autodesk Activations by calling 1-800-551-1490 and choosing #1 for English and #2 for Network licensing.  Please have your serial number, company name, country of origin, server hostname, Ethernet MAC address, and a valid email. 

2SystemSettings.JPG

The data provided here should match the license .LIC file.  You cannot edit the .LIC file if there is a typo or if the data does not match.  If you need a new .LIC file, contact Autodesk Activations to obtain the correct file for your server.

0LICFile.JPG

This file should be saved in the default location of C:/Program Files/Autodesk Network License Manager/License.  You may have to create this folder. 

STEP 3:  Click the Config Services tab to begin configuring the license manager.  The default service name should read, Flexlm Service 1

Next to the Path to the lmgrd.exe file click Browse to locate the lmgrd.exe master daemon.  The default location for this file should be:  C:/Program Files/Autodesk Network License Manager/

Locate and select the lmgrd.exe file, then click Open to populate the path. 

4OpenLmgrd.JPG

STEP 4:  Next to the Path to the license file choose Browse to locate your license .LIC file provided by Autodesk.  Click Open to populate the path.

5OpenLIC.JPG

STEP 5:  Next to the Path to the debug log file choose Browse and navigate to the default install folder location.  This file will not exist on a new install.  Simply type debug.log into the File name: box and click Open to populate the path.  The file will be created automatically once the license service has been started and can be viewed with Notepad or the View Log... button. 

6OpenLog.JPG

STEP 6:  Once all of the paths have been populated on the Config Services tab, check both boxes labeled, Use Services and Start Server at Power UpNote, you must click Use Services first before Start Server at Power Up will become available. 

3ConfigServices.JPG

Click Save Service to continue.  Click Yes to the dialog confirmation box. 

7SaveService.JPG

STEP 7:  On the Start/Stop/Reread tab, click Start Server to start the license manager service. The status box at the bottom should change to Server Start Successful.

8Start.JPG

STEP 8:  You can now verify that the license manager is working from the Server Status tab by clicking Perform Status Enquiry.  The status box should populate with information.  Scrolling down through the data, you should be able to verify your Autodesk feature codes and the amount of licenses that are available. 

9Status.JPG

Congratulations!  You have successfully configured the Autodesk Network License Manager.  You can now install your Autodesk network licensed products on your clients and point them to the hostname of this server. 

If you have any problems with Autodesk licensing issues, please post your questions in the Installation and Network Licensing user forum here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24

It is helpful to provide the debug.log file as well as the contents of the status enquiry. Please do not post sensitive data such as your license file or your serial numbers. 

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
TravisNave
in reply to: TravisNave

More information on obtaining the latest version of the Autodesk Network License Manager can be found at my post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Autodesk-Network-License-Manager-2012/td-p/2962...

For information on installing the Flexera FLEXnet License Administrator web-based alternative to LMTOOLS, please see my post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Installing-the-FLEXnet-License-Administrator/td...

Additional guides and fixes for common issues can always be found in my Signature line links below.  Enjoy! 

Help Improve the Autodesk Discussion Groups
--------------------------------------------------------
If I was able to resolve your issue, please select the "Accept as Solution" option so that you can help fellow members quickly find solutions to their problems. Please add Kudos to a post if you were helped by a post that you did not author.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 14
TravisNave

Below you will find an Autodesk Chronicle video demonstrating the configuration of the Autodesk Network License Manager.  As you can see, once you have your license file, it take only a few moments to have your license manager up and running.  Enjoy!

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/ecd62351-9737-450d-b02f-71f4aa7a8709

Autodesk Forums:
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 14
Chris_Baze

Is all of the information in your first post still relevant? If I move my NLM to a new server, do I have to call Autodesk to activate in addition to doing so at registeronce? I have a new server with LMTOOLs reporting licenses on the sever, but I am unable to pull a license on any of my client machines.

Message 5 of 14
DarrenP
in reply to: Chris_Baze

yea it is still revelant
if the MAC address changes you have to regenerate a new license file

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
Chris_Baze
in reply to: DarrenP

I did through registeronce. Do I still have to call? I've been on hold for over an hour now 😕

Message 7 of 14
DarrenP

you don't need to call if you already generated a license file online

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
TravisNave

If you changed physical servers, you need a new LIC file. Then you need to
also repath your clients.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 14
TravisNave

For a quick howto on how to upgrade your Autodesk Network License Manager in under a minute, please see my Screencast here:

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 14
ttakou

Hi Travis,

I have check and recheck my settings everything looks ok.

Please can we have a remote webex session?

Best REgards

Message 11 of 14
riberafrances

Hello Travis,

After following your tutorial, I got the following error message in Step 7: "VD is starting, please check vendor daemon's status in debug log".

After performing the Status Enquiry in the SERVER STATUS, I get the following error message:

--------
Status
--------
Flexible License Manager status on Sun 11/23/2014 12:32

[Detecting lmgrd processes...]
License server status: 8851@Queen_Rosa
    License file(s) on Queen_Rosa: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk Network License Manager\License\LICPATH.LIC:

lmgrd is not running: Cannot connect to license server system.
 The license server manager (lmgrd) has not been started yet,
 the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the
 port or hostname in the license file has been changed.
Server name:   2001:0:5ef5:79fd:100d:4f7:439d:272d
License path:  8851@Queen_Rosa;
FlexNet Licensing error:-15,10.  System Error: 10061 "WinSock: Connection refused"
For further information, refer to the FlexNet Licensing documentation,
available at "www.flexerasoftware.com".

Hostname and Ethernet adress are the same in both the LMTOOLS and the LICPATH.LIC.

Could you help me please with this issue?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Message 12 of 14
TravisNave
in reply to: riberafrances

LICPATH.LIC is not a license file.  It is a pointer.  You need an actual license file to configure your license.  If you have a network version, then you can do this.  If not, then you have installed incorrectly.

http://register.autodesk.com

Autodesk Forums:
Message 13 of 14
hamilton65

How do you Repath Clients when moving LMTools to a new server? Thank you.

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 14
TravisNave
in reply to: hamilton65

Do a search for the system environment variable ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE and
that'll get you. I'd link you but I am responding via my phone.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report