Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Drafting Patterns

Rotate Drafting Patterns

Long time Wish List item:

Model Patterns can be rotated, why not Drafting?
We've got a lot of drafted details that would look a lot nicer if the patterns would line up with the elements.

55 Comments
pieter7
Advisor

Completely agree. This would greatly reduce the amount of work that is needed to make a detail section look better. Now we model most of our casework, but in able to show up good in section views we need to go over it with detail components (most casework hatches like plywood etc are directional). If we were able to rotate the drafting patterns on view by view basis we could just go in there, rotate a few hatches and be done with it.

In order for it to work though, one should be able to rotate patterns on non-system families (for now we can rotate patterns on ceilings and walls but not patterns that are attached to a casework family (a splashing wall above a kitchen counter, a tiled worksurface on a kitchen island, wood veneer patterns, ...)

Alos, it would be great if drafting hatches would react to "align with element". 

BethanyPritchard
Enthusiast

Drafting patterns have the "Orientation in Host Layers" option that can be set to "Align with element" - but according to Autodesk help, this only works  when the fill pattern is used in walls, floors, roofs, ceilings...

I would love for this to work with detail components - and why not always?  Is there ever a time when we would NOT want a drafting pattern to stay aligned with the element when that option is set?

Tags (2)
jeppsMX3UQ
Advocate

This is total no-brainer. Make it so #1!

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.  

The Factory

dannyjones3355
Explorer

Revit needs the ability to alter the alignment of drafting patterns. Everything is based on starting @ 0 and there are times when that really doesn't work.

Tags (1)
dplumb_BWBR
Advisor
hugha
Collaborator

You can create rotations from patterns with the HatchKit Add-In for Revit  available from the Revit Exchange.

Note that this does not cover dplumb's desire to rotate or translate instances of drafting fills as each amended view could require referring to a different new pattern.

The ability to rotate, translate or even scale each instance of a drafting fill would confer great flexibility where none is currently available.  

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We've completed our review of this idea. After investigating the effort required to implement this request, we unable to add it to our roadmap at this time due to other priorities. However, we think this is a great idea so we will reconsider it as we made adjustments to our roadmap in the future. Thanks for the submission and keep voting!

The Factory

JensDeSmedt
Advocate

It wouldn't surprise me if this problem has the same cause as this issue:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

Hazem.Elamir
Advocate

please allow to change the origin of the pattern and its direction

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

This is a duplicate of this Idea with over 200 upvotes

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/rotate-drafting-patterns/idi-p/6323029

Currently under "future consideration"

matt
Participant

YES!  

This is one of those obvious functionality issues with Revit that I am astonished exists.  Being able to rotate/align fill patterns in drafting views is a critical detailing requirement.  

arjan.siebelink
Participant
Rotating a drafting pattern would be so helpfull. If it's posible i want to scale them by viewscale too! https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/change-the-scale-of-the-fill-patern-by-view-scale/idi-p/7...
will
Enthusiast

I can't rotate drafting patterns.  For example- the oft mentioned plywood detail item- does not align to the direction it is drawn- so I am limited to a pattern that is either vertical or horizontal.  Drafting patterns should be fully rotational- so that when my plywood is at a 30 degree rotation- I can have a plywood pattern that is also at 30 degree rotation.

will
Enthusiast

This is not the title I wrote- this is the title that autodesk suggested- apparently by reviewing the suggestion- it means I select the suggestion.  The title should be "Align or Rotate drafting patterns." 

EdwinG
Collaborator

But the "title" is at this moment still a problem https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/set-section-perpendicular/idi-p/7155751

And i like to see that patterns could be rotated.

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

I posted the same thing a while ago.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/rotate-drafting-patterns/idi-p/6323029

At the moment, it's on the third page of the "Top Voted" tab

For some reason it's marked as "Implemented, but I think that's a bug in the system somewhere. It should be marked as Archived.

The verbiage in the Autodesk reply says

"we are unable to add it to our roadmap at this time due to other priorities"

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report