Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking of license usage on client's workstation.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
5622 Views, 5 Replies

Checking of license usage on client's workstation.

Dear all,

Good afternoon. I would like to check out 1 thing. My company currently have currently 5 perpetual network licenses. I am the IT support staff and I have access to the server and so I am able to check who are users using the network licenses using lmtools when people request me to check for them.

My question is this. Are there any ways for my users to actually check who are the users using the network licenses on their own on their own local workstation? If there are, I will appreciate if someone can please kindly point me to the right direction on how to go about doing that.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Peter See

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: 10521471

Yes. There are a couple ways. You can install LMTOOLS on the client's
machine. Instead of setting it up as a license manager service, you can
instead choose to configure using license file. In that box, type
27000@servername (where servername is the actual real server) then they can
perform a Status Enquiry themselves.

The other way would be to use the lmutil.exe file to do an lmstat on the
server to query it. If you write a batch file for them, then they won't
need to remember the command and can just run your batch. Try this command:

lmutil lmstat -c 27000@servername

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6
Mark.Lancaster

@10521471

At the user end, no there's no way for them to check to see which license is being used by which user.

Update:  I knew if I responded, @TravisNave would tell you a way that I didn't know.  Smiley Very Happy

If user's are having an issue in getting license you could:

1.  Create a option file to reserve license for individuals, control who can borrow license, control borrowed license time, and control inactive license time.

2.  Purchase more license.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 6
TravisNave

@10521471,

You have inspired me to write a KB article on this process, since it occasionally comes up every so often.

You can follow the instructions now here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-licensing/query-the-network-license-manager-from-client/t...

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 6
in reply to: TravisNave

@TravisNave

Thank you for the solution. Your article on the issue was great and I did manage to to try it on a my users' workstation and it seems like workaround for me.

However going a step further to see if it is possible to do the following. Although yes, I could use your method to achieve the result however that will probably means I have to go around doing that for every workstation and user that have Autocad network licenses given to them. Hence Im wondering if it is possible to take it further such as allowing my users to say go on company local intranet and click a link and then the results of who is using the licenses at that moment will come out.

Now I understand that it is probably not a very good idea to run an exe file or batch file on websites but i'm wondering if it is possible to do that or not as my management was wondering if that is possible or not. it will probably make things rather convenient if we are able to link it on intranet and users just need to click it once to generate the report.

Thank you and appreciate your help. I will accept your answer as solution once the above is clarified. Thank you.

Best regards,

Peter

Message 6 of 6
TravisNave

Well running these from web browsers probably isn't the best idea. Personally, I'd use a GPO or login script to push the files to the appropriate users.

There is a web-based version of the license manager though, in my signature links.

Otherwise, let me think about other ways to accomplish what you want.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report