Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing - AutoCAD 2017

53 REPLIES 53
SOLVED
Message 1 of 54
TravisNave
368606 Views, 53 Replies

api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing - AutoCAD 2017

Problem:  After successful installation of AutoCAD 2017 on my Windows 8.1 x64 system, I received this error on launch:

The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

acad.exe - System Error

This error did not appear on any of my Windows 7 x64 machines thus far.  I have not tested this on Windows 10 yet. 

Reason:  From what I can tell, this is caused by the usage of the new Universal CRT | Visual C++ Redistributable that is part of Windows 10.  The good news is that it seems that the installation failures for not having C++ Redistributable installed might be resolved.  The bad news is, if the prerequisite does still fail and the program does install, it will not launch.

Possible Solution:  Here are some steps to take to try and resolve this issue:

Method 1:  This is the easy method.  Follow these steps if you receive the above error.  If it still fails, go to Method 2.

1.  Go to Windows Update and make sure that your computer is fully updated.  The Universal CRT should be delivered by this method.

2.  If not, manually download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for your version of Windows (likely x64)

For Windows x64:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/3/F/93FCF1E7-E6A4-478B-96E7-D4B285925B00/vc_redist.x64.exe

For Windows x86:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/3/F/93FCF1E7-E6A4-478B-96E7-D4B285925B00/vc_redist.x86.exe

3.  You might have to choose uninstall first before you can install the above downloads because of previous failed installs.

4.  Reboot then try to launch AutoCAD 2017 again.

Method 2:  If the above did not work, then here is my advanced solution.  The Universal CRT files are part of the Windows 10 SDK kit.  Installing this kit and placing the CRT DLL files into the AutoCAD 2017 folder seems to resolve the issue.

1.  Download and install the Windows 10 SDK kit:

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/downloads/windows-10-sdk

2.  Copy the entire set of DLLs from the resulting location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Redist\ucrt\DLLs\x64

3.  Paste the files into the location where AutoCAD 2017 is installed:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017

4.  Launch AutoCAD 2017 to complete the installation and licensing of the product. 

Conclusion:  This is a very early and crude fix for this odd issue and I am only providing it as a work-around until I can find a more stable solution to post on the board.  I do not expect this to be an issue on Windows 10.

If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to share.

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Tags (1)
53 REPLIES 53
Message 2 of 54
Otto
in reply to: TravisNave

Hello TravisNave

It looks like you are experiencing issues with your product on Windows 10 or want to know which Autodesk products are supported on Windows 10. Community members with similar questions found the following article(s) useful:

Windows 10 support for Autodesk products

Other threads about Windows 10 support

Change your mind about Windows 10? Here's how you can roll back

Please consider bookmarking these pages and checking back often; we'll update with new information as our testing continues.

If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" link, below. Taking a moment to do this will help others with similar questions find useful answers. Thank you!

Kudos (click on the link or the "thumbs-up!" icon), are also gratefully received! (Even a bot likes praise.)

If this answer missed the mark, please let us know so that other community members can lend a hand. Any additional details might help, too: consider including relevant screenshots, log files, error messages, or system specs.

I'm a software-based HelpBot, designed to provide the information you need to get up and running with Autodesk products—any time, day or night. Your feedback will help train me to deliver more accurate and helpful answers. Thanks in advance! Also, please note that I'm only set up to respond to the first post of a topic, not to any replies. Thank you!

Helpful links: Find Serial Numbers and Product Keys | Find Downloads and Service Packs | Activate Autodesk software
Message 3 of 54
TravisNave

Note:  There is no guarantee that this work-around will resolve your issue and make your AutoCAD 2017 work as intended.  This is a work in progress and should be considered an open issue.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 54
dennisc

Hi Travis,

I am also encountering this error but I am using Windows 7 Professional. I tried the Windows Update but I still encounter the same error. Any suggestion on how to resolve this using Windows 7?

thanks,

Dennis

Message 5 of 54
TravisNave

Additional steps I used to resolve this problem on my computer:

1.  Ran Windows Update and got all the latest updates. 

2.  Ran the update KB2999226 from Microsoft for my version of Windows.

I'm also attaching the Windows Universal C Runtime to this post.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 6 of 54
cuong.nuce

Thanks you so much !
I was successful with method 2

Message 7 of 54
vicentewn

That worked for me.
Thanks a lot!! Can't find it anywhere else.

Message 8 of 54
akhil.sonwane3

This error can be solved by three ways, sometime it resolve it two but most of the time you have to use all three.

1. As suggested copy .dll files to autocad 2017 folder which can get through microsoft site.

2. Uninstall dotnet framework 4.6 and install 4.5 instead.

3. Check all microsoft visual c++ redistrubution is installed on your system, MV c++ 2015 is necessary for Autocad 2017 and other 2017 software.

* during installtion autocad skip MV c++ installation after 2012, so we need to manually install till 2015 which is available in autocad setup in vcredist folder.

Message 9 of 54
rjesus0375

El método 2 soluciono mi problema 

Muchas Gracias

Message 10 of 54

Sir, My Name Is Jyoti Nayak. I Am From India. I Successfully Installed Autocad 2017 IN Windows 7 But While Opening Autocad 2017, api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll Error Is Occurring. Please Give Me Suggestion So That Software Autocad 2017 Can Run Easily.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 54
akhil.sonwane3

Hello Jyoti,
Download and install windows sdk package, after that go to windows sdk folder and copy all dll files from 64/86 folder bit depending upon your configuration and paste them in autocad 2017 folder.

Windows sdk download link
Message 12 of 54
sudishamatya
in reply to: cuong.nuce

Hi, I am using windows 8.1 and the first solution did not worked for me. For second method it says to download the file from window 10 url but I am running windows 8.1 so will it be successful as I seen from your post that second method was useful to you. So are you also running window 8.1? 

Message 13 of 54
sudishamatya
in reply to: cuong.nuce

Hi, I am using window 8.1 so will method 2 works for me as it says to download the window 10 sdk file and copy paste it to autocad installation folders.
Message 14 of 54

Hi sudishamatya,

I am not using windows 8.1, but still you can go for it. And yes windows
8.1 also give error of dotnet 3.5, please check is it prompt for that also.
1. update your windows 8.1, it is necessary for autocad 2017 and other 2017
products.
2. check for dotnet 3.5 error.
3. uninstall any unwanted software listed in your uninstall programs.
Message 15 of 54
TravisNave
in reply to: sudishamatya

Yes. I had this issue with Windows 8.1 and solved it with the downloads.

Good Luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 16 of 54
ganesh.prasad

Hi, my name is Ganesh and from India.

I have installed AutoCAD LT 2017 and Revit LT 2017 sucessfully on Win 8.1 64bit with fully windows updated. And the OS is freshly installed as the error occured on my previous OS. 

After Installing the Win 8.1 SDK, there is no DLL folder as mentioned by TravisNave. I can see only D3D and MNB folders.

Please suggest how to go about, as the same error is occurring on my other 2 systems also.

Thanks in Advance.

Ganesh

Message 17 of 54
indrawk56
Message 18 of 54

Even after multiple attempts to install all of the Windows Updates, installing the latest C++ and .NET frameworks,rebooting several times, I was still getting the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing error. 

I searched a few different ways and found a link to a "Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows" at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226#bookmark-prerequisites that seemed to do the trick!  

It didn't seem to install on my machine through the usual Windows Updater (Method 1 on the above page) so I used Method 2, and found & installed it manually.

I did have to knock around by going to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools\View Advanced System Details in System Information" to find out whether to download the x86 version or the x64 version for my Windows 7 desktop machine.  As they say "Your actual mileage may vary", so pick the download carefully.  After the download, it asked if I wanted to open and run the update manually and I picked Yes, and AutoCAD is now open in the background!

Message 19 of 54

Hello TravisNave Thank you so much for support It is Ok and want to share some thing with Friends, How i do First I instal Vc_...x64 it still problem How ever, I try to Window Update then Reinstall VC_... again problem is solved. very pleasure ! Good luck!
Message 20 of 54
Angayo

I had the problem with the trial version of Revit 2017 on Windows 7. I didn't see any Revit specific help on this.

I tried having Windows install updates, which took about 110 hours, although 50 optional updates failed to install. If it had worked, I wouldn't have understood why, but it was a recommended attempt on many websites. What would have been the point in installing the Latvian language pack ?

Installing and reinstalling Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 didn't work.

Installing KB2999226 (which was indeed missing from my PC) didn't work. If I had paid attention I would have noticed the x86 in Windows6.1-KB2999226-x86.msu. When I finally did get the right file (with x64), it worked.

It looks like the error message is a standard one from Windows. Why does it recommend the reinstall the program if that doesn't work ? Reinstalling Revit is a pain in the neck.

I expected to be unpleasantly surprised to find that my trial licence had started when the program installed rather than when it first worked, but apparently I have 30 days left.

Without doing anything Revit makes run acwebbrowser.exe, which uses an antire CPU of my E 8600 without doing anything useful. A little optimization would be appropriate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report