Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Browser Sprite/Icon for View Placed on Sheet

Project Browser Sprite/Icon for View Placed on Sheet

Of course you can filter the PB to show views placed or not placed on sheets... but a small sprite or icon (see below) that indicates views that have been placed on a sheet would be very expedient.

Placed Sheets.png

29 Comments
Karol_Piroska
Advisor

It would be a lot more user friendly if any views already placed on a sheet would be highlighted or marked somehow (prefix/suffix) 

A suffix e.g. (Sheet Number) in Italic could be a great addition.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great idea!

I do this now by adding a project parameter called:  Browser View filter.  Then I apply that filter to the project browser.  The only draw back is i have to remember to assign the text "Working" "Plot", etc. to each view.  Also, this doesn't tell me whether or not it's currently on a sheet.

Karol_Piroska
Advisor

thanks. I have a custom schedule so I can check that all views intended to be on sheets are used and in combination with assigning a default category name via view template it kinda works. But the project browser definitely needs an upgrade and this would be one of the major improvements I'd say.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be great to be able to quickly identify what views have been placed on sheet without having to right click on a view or look at a schedule of views. A little graphic in front of the name would be great, similar to how the sheets with views placed on them the in the browser tree have a graphic in front of the view that has been placed on the sheet.

Revit browser tree.jpg

Tags (2)
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do this. It isn't exactly what you are asking for, but for what it's worth you can sort your project browser to show all views ON or NOT on sheets. 

I often use this browser sorting method to double check views that have been specified for publishing are actually all on sheets. 

To do so, go to your project browser sorting and select "not on sheets'. If you want the inverse, just edit the filter and change it to <not equal too>

Hope it helps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, what damo3 said. Right click on the "Views (all)" item in your project browser, and you have the option to filter what is shown within the Project Browser tree. But I understand your point, as this was a feature I also wanted because sometimes, you need to have all your project views available to navigate easily without having to go up and down between your sheet views and your model views. Such a feature can add to the flexibility of the software and I don't think it would be too difficult to implement by the programmers.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be very useful if the project browser displayed an indicator next to view that had been placed on sheets. The indicator should be a hyperlink. Clicking the indicator should take me to the sheet that contains that view.

Once on a sheet, in addition to being able to activate a view, I should be able to select "go to view" from mouse context menu. This is desirable when a sheet contains many views as activating a single view and editing it on a sheet is not as efficient, performance wise, as editing the source view.

Tags (3)
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

lionel.kai
Advisor

This would be good to have in conjunction with a (context-tab?) button for the selected and/or active view per:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/open-sheet-containing-active-view/idi-p/7370464

@Anonymous wrote:

Once on a sheet, in addition to being able to activate a view, I should be able to select "go to view" from mouse context menu. This is desirable when a sheet contains many views as activating a single view and editing it on a sheet is not as efficient, performance wise, as editing the source view.

While I prefer editing views on a Sheet (to see context) whenever possible (and don't usually see any performance issues), this would be a helpful feature to have when linking a CAD file into a View, because if it's just done using an activated viewport, the link gets placed on the Sheet instead! (it's a "feature" not a bug...?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it would be very helpful if the views that have been placed on sheets had a graphical demarcation. The views would still be listed as they are now, but those that have been placed could have a grey background or custom text color. This would allow someone to look at the entire list of views/details and know exactly which ones still need to be placed and which ones already have. 

Another option would be to have the sheet number listed in italics at the end of the view name. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it would be very helpful if the views that have been placed on sheets had a graphical demarcation. The views would still be listed as they are now, but those that have been placed could have a grey background or custom text color. This would allow someone to look at the entire list of views/details and know exactly which ones still need to be placed and which ones already have. 

Another option would be to have the sheet number listed in italics at the end of the view name. 

d-denton
Contributor

Also, if on a sheet, when you mouse over the view name, the tooltip for that view could read "on sheet: A304 - Level 3 Interior Elevations"

Anonymous
Not applicable

When cleaning out schedules from a project there is no way for the user to quickly see if a schedule is on a sheet. You have to have a third party program to filter out schedule graphics.

Place a parameter in the properties to list out the sheet or sheets that the schedule is placed on. 

Or

Include schedules in Purge Unused.

Tags (2)
Nurlan-A.
Advisor

Yes, this feature will facilitate the management of the specifications. Especially if there are a lot of them.

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

How about we un-archive this idea and make it active again, it's certainly a must-have for Revit.

I can not believe it has not already been introduced years ago!!!!! 

I have seen some ideas about having little dots and things next to a view if its on a sheet.

ThierryMonteyneVKAE in his previous reply 
has in my mind has already provided an excellent line of thought by showing not only if the view is placed on a sheet but also which sheet! 

And yes the sheet reference should be a hyperlink to the sheet...  how good would that be 🙂

Below is a neat example, 3 elevation views placed on sheets using a greyed out sheet reference.
Where a view is not placed on a sheet such as Elevation 4, where there is no sheet reference.

How simple and easy would that be?

Much better than just highlighting a view if it is placed or not.

Project browser with linked views.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why everyone thinks Autodesk support is an absolute joke.

adbryson
Advocate

Yes, please add the sheet location parameters to the Schedule properties (just like plan views, etc.).  Also do this for Panel Schedules!

ipselute
Advisor

An icon for duplicated and dependent views should also come very useful. Or just a different font and color. E.g. bold for views placed on sheets, italic for views not placed on sheets, black for 'main' views, blue for duplicates, green for dependent views ,etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators