Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Lineweight for hatch/fill patterns

Lineweight for hatch/fill patterns

Tried to find it it (1)Viz/Graphics Overrides,(2)Additional Settings(Offers a fill pattern window for drafting and model  patterns) and (3)Materials which seemed the logical places to look, but couldn't find it in any of these places. If a setting does exist somewhere to control hatch/fill patterns lineweight please advise.

23 Comments
bdoig
Participant

Unfortunately, you cannot control lineweight for hatch patterns. You can only control the pattern and color. No setting for it.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@wr.marshall  Is this what you are looking for? It is in the Type Properties of each Fill pattern. 

Fill - LW.PNG

wr.marshall
Advisor

@kimberly.fuhrman Something like that. Took me a while to find that in filled region. Isn't a filled region just a 2D element? This idea I stated will cover items like a brick pattern on a wall, glass pattern on glass(window/door family..), tile pattern on a floor.... I couldn't find anywhere that would let me set a line weight for patterns in these elements.

wr.marshall
Advisor

The most logical place is have the settings in the material as per my ms paint doctored image below.

This would allow you  to have different patterns with different weights if you chose.

If no pattern assign the box will be blank

If solid pattern assigned then box is greyed out

Fill pattern.JPG

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@wr.marshall  That makes sense to me!  Thank you for clarifying!

-Kimberly

ipselute
Advisor

@wr.marshall 

Is your question similar to this one:  https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/control-hatch-pattern-line-weights/td-p/7325... ? Maybe we could merge them.

Here is an explanation why all hatches have line weight = 1 : https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-structure-forum/how-to-control-material-hatch-pattern-line-weig... 

wr.marshall
Advisor

@ipselute this was not a question but an idea as there is nowhere to overwrite the line weight of fill pattern unless you use filled region. Leave questions as questions and ideas as ideas. However if not reference ideas in questions, and questions in ideas (guess spelling out for Autodesk) As for line weights maybe for some reason a user wants a particular fill pattern to be thicker than usual

elzohry2007
Collaborator

hatch has the line weight 1
so if you want to change it you change the line weight scale for 1

elzohry2007_0-1618239649673.png

i hope in future line weight has another 1 because alot of catagories use 1

JLHALL-ENG3
Enthusiast

Ribbon > Manage > Settings Panel > Additional Settings Drop Down > Lineweights.  Did you know that Pen LW 1 and 2 are reserved for Surface Hatch Patters and Ceiling Grid Patterns?  It's legacy and likely difficult to change, but highly inconsistent with the rest of Revit.  It's also not discoverable.  Please put Surface hatch Patterns and Ceiling Grid Patterns under the Annotations tab of Object Styles and allow us to set the Pen LW there with all other objects.  I want to use Pen LW 1 for Xtra Fine as the # 1 suggests.  I do not want to start from Pen LW 3.

Tags (1)
JLHALL-ENG3
Enthusiast

Ribbon > manage Tab > Settings Panel > Additional Settings > Line Weights.  Apparently Pen LW 1 is reserved for Surface Hatch Patterns, and Pen LW 2 is reserved for Ceiling Grid Patterns.  It's not discoverable unless you Google search for "Revit recommended lineweights."

jkarben
Advocate

Any place a fill pattern is assigned it would be nice to be able to define the line weight just like it is with a Filled Region. This request could apply to places like Visibility Graphics as well (Model Categories and View Filters). As it is now it appears that VG uses LW 1 for cut patterns and the Object Style's LW for surface patterns. Material appears to use LW1 for both cut and surface.  Inconsistent and not granular as-is.

skyeg321
Advocate

As I understand it, currently all material surface patterns appear as line weight 1 with no option to change it. Ceiling patterns are all lineweight 2. This means if you want to juice the lineweight to make patterns show better in elevations, you must increase the lineweight 1 value and you are also increasing the lineweight of everything else assigned a lineweight of 1. The way around this is to make 3 your new 1 and adjust everything in object styles. This is ridiculous of course and difficult to explain to a large arhitecture firm. Another way to fix this would be to add a lineweight selector in the material itself. Something must be done! Say no to light elevations!

wr.marshall
Advisor
AnthonyGardner
Contributor

Hi

I've found that the cut pattern/surface pattern line weight is controlled by the category/subcategory projection line weight in object styles. For example. Revit 2021

AnthonyGardner_0-1662681883355.png

Overriding the Projection Line Weight within the view will only change the projection lines of the element not the Cut Pattern/Surface Pattern lines.

However in saying that. Putting this control within the Material Browser would be a lot better as per @wr.marshall example. 

gijsdegroot3201
Contributor

in Visibility/Graphic Overrides 

Please add the option: Line Weight

gijsdegroot3201_0-1667896577188.png

For now it is always the same line weight as the outside line.

wr.marshall
Advisor

@gijsdegroot3201 see this idea: Lineweight for hatch/fill patterns - Autodesk Community

I proposed having it as part of the material which. Probably good in both places (material and V/G) so you can override material if if special case required!!! If you feel the wishes are the same, please ask @kimberly.fuhrman to combine.

Lachlan-JWP
Collaborator

Change the line weight of the pattern in the Type Properties window.

LachlanJWP_0-1668464893538.png

gijsdegroot3201
Contributor

@Lachlan-JWP 

this only works for filled region:

gijsdegroot3201_0-1668494245694.png

gijsdegroot3201_1-1668494245695.png

the idea is: add the same option in Visibility/Graphic Overrides.

ClaytonOC
Contributor

Line weights for hatch are set to line width 1 and 2. I changed all my content to start with 3 for line weight so I can control hatch line weight.

MOR-ConorMacken
Enthusiast

The base setting should be in the material cut pattern settings rather than a category, type or element property.

And then over-rideable in filters, element over-rides and anywhere else the material's cut pattern can be changed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators