Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate servers per groups

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
tahdesign1
596 Views, 9 Replies

Separate servers per groups

My contract houses all of the ADSK software in the house but there are several that are not in my domain or organization.

IT has made a separate server to place an LMTools install on just to house these other seats.

So I intend to have a separate license file produce just for these seats.

Lots of places I see it stated to get a single license file for ALL of the ADSK products on contract but I need to separate them.

Is there any issue with that?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: tahdesign1

@tahdesign1

Under that condition you will need to create a distributed license model and allocate license (up) to 3 different servers.

11-3-2016 8-51-14 AM.jpg

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 10
tahdesign1
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Right so my intent is to split my license into two unique license files that are on two unique servers.

Message 4 of 10
TravisNave

You can do that but it would be easier to manage a single server controlled
by and options file that splits access. I can assist you with that if
you'd like. Otherwise, I would recommend that your NLMs exist on different
domains/subnets and are not accessible to the other users, respectively.
Does that make sense?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 10
tahdesign1
in reply to: TravisNave

So here is my issue in a nut shell.

On my contract I have two other groups products plus my own.

I am with the MFG eng groups and we have the vast majority of the seats on my contract.

I configure, install, teach, and maintain all of our workstations and vault server but not the other groups.

I only have admin right within my groups workstations and servers.

That being said, the other groups (Production Systems and Product Eng) that have ADSK software on my contract are handled by our IT group.

I want these are separate servers for licensing so that I am not ties to them for my upgrade and the like.

I will supply the IT group the necessary installation media for what they handle and also the properly created license for just those products.

@TravisNave wrote:
Otherwise, I would recommend that your NLMs exist on different
domains/subnets and are not accessible to the other users

The IT group has already made a new server just to house this instance of LMTools. It is virtual and I can see it VMware but I do not think my users can or would know how anyway. However, I do think that this new server is on the same domain as my current server

Message 6 of 10
TravisNave

I don't foresee this being a problem so long as the clients from one group
can't take the licenses from the other server.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 10
tahdesign1
in reply to: TravisNave

Well they are uniquely different products.

All of my seats are either Product or Factory designs seats using Vault Pro.

The other two groups are just running pure AutoCAD and a couple of seats of AutoCAD Design Suite with no Vault involved.

So products being different we should see no issues.

Message 8 of 10
Mark.Lancaster

@tahdesign1

Well just because you have AutoCAD or AutoCAD Design suite..  If those users are directed to your other license server, they can still pull license from those suites because there's a thing called Network Cascading license.  AutoCAD will not just pull AutoCAD License, it will pull AutoCAD from any other area that contains AutoCAD information.

In addition since you're 2017 license is based on a network type, these license are most like multi-user/term based license.  If that's the case, term license will always get pulled before any perpetual license that you have.  So if the users can see both license server, than term based license will get pulled first from those license server.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 10
tahdesign1
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

@Mark.Lancaster wrote:

@tahdesign1

In addition since you're 2017 license is based on a network type, these license are most like multi-user/term based license.  If that's the case, term license will always get pulled before any perpetual license that you have.  So if the users can see both license server, than term based license will get pulled first from those license server.

No all of my products are Networked Perpetual Licenses. We upgraded everything and added a few that we may need before the cut off last year.

I also have some I have a few standalone perpetuals that I left on my contract to use on laptops.

So to that extent I have avoided any of this new licensing model thus far. 

Message 10 of 10
Darin.Green

As stated by @TravisNave, using two servers for distributing licenses is not necessary because you can use an Options files to control access to those licenses. Now, I understand there are different departments and you're only an admin in your area. However, there should still only be one license manager configured on a single server for what you need. Also, there's not much you have to do on the server side except configure LMTOOLS (5 mins tops) once a year to update the license file and lmtools.

Although the product are unique, they all share the same licensing schema. Setting up another server is not recommended for what you're trying to accomplish, but instead you should be using an Options File. 

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report