Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360: switching from commercial to academic license

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1039 Views, 9 Replies

Fusion 360: switching from commercial to academic license

For a research project with an industry partner involved, we purchased a 1-year commercial subscription. Now that the project has ended, we would like to switch to an academic license. Starting some days ago, I see a 'trial ends in xx days' in the program header. There are only a few days left and I really need to be able to work on my (academic) project. How do I properly change the license type?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

You should never mix commercial Autodesk accounts with educational accounts.   Meaning you should have separate Autodesk Accounts for this.   Have you done this?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 10
TravisNave
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Mark is right.  You wanna keep the accounts miles apart.  And especially don't want to mix the commercial and educational files.  Once a commercial file is used in an academic work, it ceases to be a commercial file and can never again be used in a commercial work.  Keep this in mind because the audit fines for mixing educational files into commercial works are fierce. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: TravisNave

Thank you both. But your answers do not really help. I work for an university, I have one email address which I can use for an account. I started using Fusion 360 for a research project that I did not consider to be fully academic, so I thought it was the right thing to purchase a commercial license. What should I have done? Regardless, I have to deal with this situation now. How can I change my license?

Message 5 of 10
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous 

I know its too late (based on your latest reply)..

But since Fusion 360 is a cloud based application, you either will have to download and lose all of your files based on your this college email or get another email assigned to you.   Its great that you did the right thing when you did the research and obtain a commercial license but you now have to be careful when you starting changing from commercial to education or education to commercial.    It it was me I would request a new educational email and create a new Autodesk Account using that.   Meaning do you want to lost all the information you created for this research? 

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Again, thanks for your answer. Well, now it even gets more complicated. I do not care too much about the files I created during the research project for which the commercial license was purchased. However, I started working on a purely academic project after the commercial license expired and I was on a trial license. I do need these files. I would really prefer using my standard email address. I am not aware that obtaining an extra address would be possible for me.

Message 7 of 10
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous 

So did you ever go here https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/students-teachers-educators and request it?

If you go to manage.autodesk.com, what do you see there?

Mark Lancaster

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

@Mark.Lancaster wrote:

So did you ever go here https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/students-teachers-educators and request it?

Yes, even repeatedly. Unfortunately, it did not change anything.

If you go to manage.autodesk.com, what do you see there?

Under "Products & Services" I only find "Storage". Fusion 360 is only listed under "Trials". 

Message 9 of 10
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous 

At this point it sounds like a sync issue, but since its educational you have to contact the educational support team https://www.autodesk.com/education/support/edu-contact-us-form and have them resolve your account.

Mark Lancaster

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Will do, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report