Your Autodesk Subscription Benefit Includes Global Travel Rights

GTR.png

Did you know that your Single-User or Multi-User Subscription benefit now includes Global Travel Rights?  That’s right!  Previously, if you intended to use your Autodesk licensed product outside of the country or region from which you made the purchase, you would have needed to pay an additional Global Extra Territory Rights (ETR) fee applicable to each license that would be accessed abroad.  The prior cost associated with obtaining an ETR from Autodesk or a Value-Added Reseller could have amounted to thousands of extra dollars, just for the right to use your Autodesk license in another country. 

I recently fielded a customer question about this issue and it made me realize that the typical end-user might not be aware of the new Global Travel Rights attached to their Subscription.  In fact, due to ETR fees being the status quo for so many years, many CAD Managers might also not be aware of this fact.  With the switch from standard perpetual licensing and network licensing to Single-User and Multi-User sign-ins, it’s not hard to believe that extra benefits to the program might have been glossed over or even ignored altogether.  This is especially true if companies did not previously use ETR or were discouraged to use their products outside of the regions due to cost.  It’s also possible that end-users were simply using their products outside of the scope of the License Service Agreement without knowing that they were in violation.  You know the LSA -- it's that document that you agree to during installation, but never really read.  😉

In any case, those worries are no longer a problem.  With a current paid Subscription, you or your authorized users are now able to install and use Autodesk products outside of the country or region from which they were purchased as part of the Subscription benefit.  This not only applies to Single-User and Multi-User Subscriptions but also to Flex Subscriptions purchased anywhere in the world.  But you may be wondering if there are any restrictions to this benefit.

For the most part, Global Travel Rights are pretty straight forward.  But there are indeed a few restrictions that you need to be aware of before using your products abroad.  These conditions are listed as part of the Terms of Service for Global Travel Rights.  With respects to the legalese, the TLDR; conditions include the following:

For Single-User and Multi-User Subscriptions, the user may install and use a licensed copy of the software to be used outside of the region where it was purchased, so long as the foreign country is on the approved list.  Furthermore, the software must be installed on a portable or mobile device.  And of course, the licenses used must only be accessed by the person who was assigned the license.

That being said, there are also conditions to the conditions – because of course there are!  Specifically, it has to do with unapproved countries.  If you purchase a Subscription in an unapproved country, you are allowed to use the software in any unapproved country, or any approved country for up to 90 days.  I suspect that likely does not apply to you.  However, if you have a Flex License, then no such restrictions exist.  You can use your Flex Subscription anywhere in the world. 

But what are unapproved countries?  Generally speaking, they are the countries from that are actively embargoed or sanctioned.  These would be countries such as, Sudan, Syria, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, and Crimea.  However, most countries are on the approved list.  At the time this article was published, you can use your products in the following countries if you purchased your license or are traveling there for work:

Global Travel Rights Approved Countries Updated July 2022

Adamstown

Aland Islands

American Samoa

Andorra

Anguilla

Australia

Australian Capital Territory

Austria

Belgium

Bouvet Island

British Antarctic Territory

British Indian Ocean Territory

Bulgaria

Canada (CAD)

Chatham Islands

Christmas Island

Cocos (Keeling) Islands

Cook Islands

Croatia

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Faeroe Island

Falkland Islands

Federated States of Micronesia

Fiji

Finland

France

French Guiana

French Polynesia

French Southern Territory

Germany

Gibraltar

Greece

Greenland

Guadeloupe

Guernsey

Heard and McDonald Islands

Hungary

Iceland

Ireland

Isle of Man

Italy

Jamestown

Japan

Jersey

Kiribati

Latvia

Lichtenstein

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malta

Marshall Islands

Martinique

Mayotte

Monaco

Montserrat

Nauru

Netherlands

New Caledonia

New South Wales

New Zealand

Niue

NM

Norfolk Island

North Island

Northern Ireland

Northern Mariana Islands

Northern Territory

Norway

Palau

Papua New Guinea

Pitcairn Islands

Poland

Portugal

Queensland

Republic of Korea

Reunion

Romania

Saint Barthelemy

Saint Helena

Saint Martin

Saint Pierre and Miquelon

Samoa

San Marino

Singapore

Slovakia

Slovenia

Solomon Islands

South Australia

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

South Island

Sovereign Akrotiri and Dhekelia

Spain

Svalbard

Sweden

Switzerland

Tasmania

Tokelau

Tonga

Turks and Caicos Islands

Tuvalu

United Kingdom

US Minor Outlying Islands

USA

Vanuatu

Vatican City State

Victoria

Wallis and Futuna

Western Australia

Not too shabby, right?  So next time you throw your laptop into your carry-on bag, you won't have to worry if you can fire up AutoCAD.  In this ever shrinking world and post-pandemic work environment, I hope that understanding Global Travel Rights will help you and your authorized users quickly adapt to multi-national collaboration.  If you liked this blog article, give it a like.  And if you have any questions about licensing, please feel free to reach out to me @TravisNave . 

Traveling abroad?  No problem!Traveling abroad? No problem!

3 Comments
About the Author

TravisNave

Certified Autodesk Platinum Partner and Software Asset Management Partner. I am an experienced IT Professional with 24+ years experience as a Network Administrator and 17+ years supporting Autodesk products. I specialize in supporting the installation, networking, and licensing for Windows and Autodesk products. I hold a degree in Computer Information Systems as well as numerous certifications from CompTIA, Microsoft, and Autodesk. I am also honored to be a charter member in the Autodesk Expert Elite program on these forums.

Authors