Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Insertion Point(s) for Leader Tag

Custom Insertion Point(s) for Leader Tag

It would be great if we can add custom insertion points for leader tags.

This would basically be an invisible dot you can place in your tag families.

I do realise you can create this effect with invisible lines, but it's a hassle!

When you have multi-line texts that wrap, it becomes very very hard. 

revitidea.JPG

36 Comments
james.vandezande
Explorer

Allowing us to define a specific point in a tag family to which the leader would connect when the tag is place in a project would help us make better use of keynote tags displaying multiple lines of text. 

ALTERNATE IDEA: An alternative to this proposal is to allow a text object to read a property of an object. Keep all the functionality of a text note (leader attachment options, stretchable boundary...) but provide an option to associate the text note to an object and a property of that object.

Idea-tag-leader01.pngIdea-tag-leader02.png

casquatch
Collaborator

I'd like to have a way to define the leader connection points for tags and annotation symbol families. I think this could be as easy as adding a feature to pin-point the spots in a family that I'd like the leader to attach to. If those don't exist, then the current default behavior is used.

For example, we'd like to have a wall tag with a note next to it. We can achieve the below result by placing two tags, which is not efficient at all.

Preferred.PNG

When the above tag is edited to have a note within it, then we get this result:

CurrentIssues.PNG

As you can see, this doesn't work. No matter where the leader is, it's not correct or attached to the symbol.

Make this work better please. The current workarounds don't always work, and I don't think we should really have to do them in the first place. The tools should help us do our work the way we want to.

Referencing forum posts for this issue:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-mep-forum/leader-position-on-pipe-tag/m-p/3942008#M19298

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-mep-forum/annotation-leader-spacing/m-p/7272192#M43414

Thanks!

Casey

Tags (1)
jbruin
Enthusiast
casquatch
Collaborator

I searched around and didn't find anything related, but I'm sure my key words didn't match up. Well, hopefully we get enough votes either way!!

casquatch
Collaborator

To add to your post, it is a hassle, but sometimes you can't even achieve your intended look or tag by this limitation. Lets get it fixed!!

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/tag-annotation-symbol-leader-location/idi-p/7438315 

jbruin
Enthusiast

No worries! The more exposure, the better I'd say.

casquatch
Collaborator

For whatever reason, when I paste in a link for any forum post of mine, it doesn't seem to actually work. Sorry about that! I also don't seem to have the ability to edit the post to remove it 😞

Jose_Mora
Advocate

Allow leader base point to be defined in generic annotation family. Currently the base point is auto defined by the extents of the content of the family. If the family is semi parametric you should be able to set the leader base points for all types. That way there is never a gap between the linework and the leader start point.

ttonsing
Enthusiast

This is beyond obviously a need, especially with Revit's "automatic" leader connection points so totally random.  It calculates the "center of geometry", which, if just a little bit away from the desired point, seems unconnected.   This is also something they know how to do, since mechanical fixtures (hot water, etc) already know how to attach to an exact point.  If the currently random location were in ANY way controllable short of repeatedly editing the family (moving text, etc, until the leader attaches where you wanted), I'd be happy.  But clearly the best method is to add a "control" (similar to the arrows) that is a magnet for leader attachment.

jstroebel
Explorer

This is very annoying... Should be able to indicate the center of the tag by reference planes and use that center as the point for the leader...

eramoy
Contributor

This could be solved if the leader origin "box" is not defined by its geometry, but defined by the Top, Bottom, Left, and Right reference planes.

adam
Community Visitor

The biggest issue I have with this is tags that have multiple visibility states.  I have different tag styles for multiple directions that contain a bunch of information and whenever I move the leader it jumps to Revit's "calculated" center based on seemingly nothing, but it's really just the hidden portion of my tag.

crapai
Advocate

How is this still not implemented. It seems like a no brainer. I think another great addition would be to have a propertie for elements in tags that controls whether that elment is considered when caculating the leader location. Something like "Leader Location Contributer."

maria.vaghani
Explorer

I would add my vote for this feature. I would propose introducing a line alone which the leader origin could travel as we change its direction

mmcintosh-ral
Advocate

Please add a way to control a tag's  leader origin location.

When the leader's origin starts away/outside of a tag's shape/outline it is not clear that it is a leader from the tag- it looks like a mistake.

scbunker
Collaborator

Should also be able to specify at what points on the object being tagged the 'Attached' leader attaches to. Similar to this idea.

esperbs
Observer

This is still killing me. You know how hard it is to implement Revit in an office when little things like this can't be controlled? It's a great way for leadership to fall back on "well AutoCAD does that really easily."

JLSMART
Contributor

I'm looking at the weld symbol, which is a fairly complex symbol with leaders that work reasonably well. I can't figure out why it works or what all the constraints do. Can anyone explain it? The problem with the out of the box version is that it's too large. I want to make a half or two-thirds size version, but without understand the constraints, I can't make t work.

schlogl.robin
Explorer
casquatch
Collaborator

@schlogl.robin, yes, this workaround can work in some situations, but not all....or most. It would be better to have this issue resolved so that we are free to build our tag families however we want and also be able to define the specific point(s) at where we want the leaders to snap to.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report