Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting X/Y/Z point for families

Reporting X/Y/Z point for families

A reporting point in families that would report (read out to tags) its postion in relationship to the project base point and/or the survey point would be very useful. The point should be nameable and attachable to reference lines, reference planes as well as to object geometry in the family. The reported values should go into tags and schedules. 

An application would be to read out all door sill heights in absolute height coordinates without passing by a dynamo script (perpetual source of errors due to forgotten script runs). There are certainly hundreds of other useful applications for such a point.

Libre cours à votre imagination - unlock your imagination.

5 Comments
johanwall
Enthusiast

Great idéa @steiner! I would also benefit from such a feature in my work.

blro.
Enthusiast

We need the ability to gather a family's dependents Level height(s) (both Absolute - from the Surveyor Point and Project Base Point), as well as the families' offset from these Levels - so that we can calculate absolute points within individual components - then schedule and tag this data. This needs to be live information - opening Dynamo and running a script every time a window height changes is unjustifiable.

Spot elevations achieve this only partially with their bottom and top heights - this approach would allow much greater flexibility. In addition, when families are edited and reloaded, often these spot elevations get deleted as it loses its host geometry (I assume) - another problem for another post.

I imagine this looking similar to how Room Information can usually be scheduled within another category, except,

of course, that this would also be available within the Tag Families' environments.

The new 2020 feature of some MEP items getting their elevation heights in schedules (as well as sill heights for windows always being there) was a good first step.

Now let's get this all the way there.

steiner
Advocate
There is an idea with a similiar Goal https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/reporting-x-y-z-point-for-families/idi-p/8710430 . Please consider voting. @Anonymous: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/10017618 Please consider the need of building parts "knowing their heights" in german speaking building enviroment. We had a contact back in 2009 with Autodesk about "heights" in building parts. At that time we were dealing with heights of windows. Autodesk answered us to use "Revit Architecture 2009 Österreichanpassung" (the little red point to set spot elevations), which didn't work for the reason told by @blro. "often these spot elevations get deleted as it loses its host geometry". Also please consider merging votes for similiar goals.
bjoern_teutriene
Collaborator

There is an app for this purpose called BiMTOOLS and it's for free. They use a generic model family called "Einfügepunkt.rfa" which you can place directly in the project or nested in families, e.g. in an individual foundation. Furthermore, you receive heights of doors, windows and wall openings always updated.

wr.marshall
Advisor

The ability to create a coordinate point in the family editor which can be locked to  an object like a reference plane so if there is an adjustment in the dimension it would update it's position.

When the family is then loaded into a project you are able to get the coordinate of this point and able to schedule.

The Coordinate point should also be able to be named

As an example: on a rectangular column I could place a coordinate point on each corner. If I place the coordinate point top left in the family editor and called this "C1" when I load this into the project and turn the column 180 degrees "C1" would now be bottom right.

Tags (3)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report