Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-rectangular Scope Box

Non-rectangular Scope Box

We have non-rectangular crop regions.  Can we please have non-rectangular scope boxes so we don't have to copy/paste the non-rectangular crop region to 30 views.......

151 Comments
Magnus.B
Advocate
Looks good but, not the way you would want it to work. I guess you combined 3 different 3d views on a sheet. I you would like to change the view angle a bit that would require lots of work
Yien_Chao
Advisor
Autodesk habe to integrate something like auto-section box.

https://apps.autodesk.com/en/Detail/Index?id=8920075109543819118&appLang=en&os=Win32_64
Furquan_A
Contributor

I Think 3D View Section Box Boundary should have Customize type, Like Plan/Section Crop View! We could Easy Create Boundaries Poly Type for Different shape of Rooms, Corridor and Other Areas For Better View in Sheet Documentation and Coordination View Purpose  Example See Below for Area Shapes

Room.PNGCooridor.PNGCurv Cooridor.PNG

amorap
Advocate

Hi all from Spain,

Until now we only can do one section box in a 3D view, and this one only can be orthogonal.

There is a lot of wishes to implement a section box that not to be a "box" (cylindrical, polygonal,...whatever geometry).

I propose the ability to place more than only a section box in the same 3D view, in order to combine them and obtain a complex cut, without losing the control of each individual section box, keeping the same way of operation as before.

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Revit should have customizable section box, maybe a section box from a generic mass.

thanks,

Carlo Muffato

Anonymous
Not applicable

The option to invert you section box in 3D. This allows you to essentiaaly peer into a building. 

Normally the process would require several section boxes overlayed on top of each other in Photoshop etc.

Marvi
Enthusiast

Would be great to have a toggle button that inverts the 3d section box cutting function. 

This means that the 3d section box will cut everything inside the box and show the all the rest which is outside.

Practically the 3d section box becomes a void box that cuts everything in the file (see attached jpg)

This will help us have cross- longitudinal- and horizontal- sections in one image, for customers and clients to better understand 3d geometry, room space & configuration, 3D construction layers and details etc. 

scbunker
Collaborator

While this would be very useful, it's not going to be implemented for a long time (if ever). I think that this is the next-best thing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm hoping this gets implemented, I've used non rectangular clip volumes in Microstation to achieve an L-shape cut through an object or building before. If Bentley products can do this I don't see why Revit can't implement something like this.

scott_dakin
Collaborator
The entire world population of Revit users has been asking for this since before Jesus was born.
lionel.kai
Advisor

LOL! Thanks, Scott! You started my day with a good laugh. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

If 3D Section Box could be edited to have a desired sketch plan it would be very helpful. Suppose we need a 3D Section box of an L shaped room would could have sketched the plan like a callout and then i we could get an L shaped 3D section box. Also if we could create such things through API

Tags (2)
Kimtaurus
Advisor
Anonymous
Not applicable

Section box is invaluable when working in 3d. It became more useful when Autodesk incorporated the SELECTION BOX (BX) that crops the section box for based on the elements selected. @Yien_Chao The selection box is similar to third party auto section box but it is based on elements and not on a view.

Selection Box.JPG

Please allow for a reset of the section box to building extents or some set/saved size. 

When I use the SELECTION BOX it is most often in one room. I don't want to have to stretch each grip back out to the building extents.

I sometimes use multiple 3d views, one to crop down and one for the overall building.... but please still add reset function.

eric.stimmel
Enthusiast

Every couple of months I re-find this issue and forget that I have already voted on it and am sad to re-discover that it requires too much effort to implement. To reiterate what others have said, this would be a huge help setting up plans for certain buildings. There is a workaround, however less convenient or error prone, for this in editing the crop boundary of the view manually. The other reason to have non-rectangular (in plan and section) scope boxes is to address exporting models to Navisworks, Glue, FBX, DWG, IFC, etc. that need to meaningfully address split levels, ramps, adjacent buildings or other spatial needs related to coordination in other software. For this, there is no functional workaround.

Also, Scott's comment is the best thing I've read all day. 🙂 Thanks for that!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Graag zou ik zien dat je een gebouw dat uit meerdere bouwdelen bestaat af kunt bakenen met Scope Boxes. Dat is nu al mogelijk, alleen zijn deze altijd vierkant/rechthoekig. Het zou mooi zijn als je Scope Boxes kunt maken die precies de Boundaries van een gebouw afbakenen. Daardoor krijg je precies het bouwdeel in je view te zien zoals het er in de werkelijkheid uit komt te zien. Op het moment dat je aan een Scope box met Boundaries ook Levels kunt koppelen met de keuze of ze wel of niet voor het hele project gelden of alleen in een bepaald bouwdeel, dan ontstaat er ook vrije keuze op het vlak van het creëren van Associated Levels. Als er dan in een gebouw op één verdieping een (klein of groot) verschil qua hoogte in de vloeropbouw is, dan kun je de componenten altijd direct de juiste Offset geven zonder zelf het verschil in de plaatsingshoogte uit te hoeven rekenen. 

Voorbeeld:

Een gebouw heeft 3 bouwdelen. Twee rechthoekige vleugels (Bouwdeel A en Bouwdeel C) met uitwendige trappenhuizen gescheiden door een vierkant bouwdeel (Bouwdeel B). Bouwdelen A & C hebben een kelder en Bouwdeel B heeft een Souterrain dat -1050.0 mm onder het Peil = 0 ligt. Peil = 0 is de hoogte van de afgewerkte vloer van Bouwdeel B. De Begane Grond van Bouwdeel B (afgewerkte vloer) ligt 2050.0 mm (-1050.0 mm + 3000.0 mm) boven de Begane Grond van Bouwdeel B. De Begane Grond van Bouwdeel G ligt 1000.0 mm de Begane Grond van Bouwdeel B. 

In dit gebouw heeft de Begane Grond dus drie verschillende Levels. Het zou mooi zijn als je deze af kunt bakenen met Scope Boxes die met tekenfuncties in een plattegrond vormgegeven kunnen worden. Als de Levels dan ook ieder hun eigen Associated Levels kunnen hebben, dan zou je voor iedere afzonderlijke verdieping een Begane Grond in kunnen stellen.

Of en welke mogelijkheden hiervoor zijn ben ik erg benieuwd naar. Wellicht is er al een, of zijn er al meerdere oplossingen hiervoor aanwezig, dan hoor ik dat uiteraard graag! Vragen, op- en/of aanmerkingen, ideeën of suggesties: graag!

Met vriendelijke groet,

Bjorn Koolen 

danielgijsbers
Contributor

Try English, I am pretty sure the product team is still busy learning Dutch....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @danielgijsbers! When I wrote it I thought about it, but decided to post it in Dutch. I was doubting if this helpdesk was a Dutch one or an international one.

I placed it in English now. Thanks again!!

Bjorn

Anonymous
Not applicable

This shouldn't be that hard to implement. Ever since the ability to change the shape of section boxes, I assumed you'd come to the logical conclusion and allow us to do the same for scope boxes. But alas, it seems 40 years of starvation in the desert isn't enough.

lionel.kai
Advisor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators