Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Printable Text, Lines, Workset or Phase, markups, task list.

Non Printable Text, Lines, Workset or Phase, markups, task list.

Can we have a non printable Text.

Many times we need a reference text to be available to explain something, or just to jot down your thought while working to come back to resolve it..

Some dialog or text box , or like a markup on all types of views which is not printable but purely for people working on the file.

This will help so much while collaborating as well as people wont forget pending things.

Most of the time the brilliant idea gets lost cause it was not written anywhere..

While doing this we can also have  a list of these "to do things" ,

where we can assign task to users and shortcut to go

to that particular location to work on..

I am know am asking too much, kind of combination of PDF markups, Internet hyperlinks, Microsoft office task list, Schedule and property

of AutoCAD Defpoint layer which doesn't get printed..

69 Comments
VMDO-ADMIN
Contributor

We could use no-plot lines in any view the way we used to use construction lines in CAD.  I can see them being the detail line version of a reference plane (Reference Lines?).  It would only exist in a view, would take priority for alignments over other linework or model components, and would never print.

mcnamac
Enthusiast

It would be useful to have the ability to create non-plotting lines, text, dimensions, detail items, etc in a family, template or project, on a view by view basis.  This could be used to create guides, notes, instructions, etc for users to follow.  Similar to <invisible lines>, but in a project, not just a family, and with other annotation items, not just lines.

NateBrush
Advocate

A non-plot linetype or color would be great. If we could just assign a color to annotative objects and know they wouldn't plot, we could improve the consistency of our drawings greatly.

mkirkbride
Community Visitor

Totally agree this would be so helpful.

Yien_Chao
Advisor
Hi

We did find a way to have non printable text, but its odd.
First create a 254,254,254 "white" text
Then make your Revit background grey or black.

For link, do you mean url? You can add a hyperlink through shared parameter, I think.
For pdf markup, again we dont use it, bur instead create our own note and "cloud" which is invisible when its complete (why use if Dynamo)

Corsten.Au
Advisor

Hi Yien 

1.Changing background and text colour to white is a good workaround. 

2.Sometimes I simply use a "Callout" and write note / info in the view attach to that call out.

and while printing we can always check " Hide Unreference view tags " not to print those call outs..

Cheer!

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

I'm fine with some sort of a Markup tool, but I do NOT want to replicate the AutoCAD nightmare of DEFPOINTS.

I like the fact that Revit is WYSIWYG and don't want to have to start explaining to people why they can see something on their screen, but not on the plot.

That's not even what DEFPOINTS was created for.

SteveDFThorne
Collaborator

I think this is a good idea but that it should not be part of any of the tools that exisit. It might become annoying to track down why something isn't printing becuase it got accidentally set that way via the workset or anntation family type. 

I think having a new type of objects specifally for markups would be great. I also think it could match BIM 360 docs and have the markups flow back and forth bweteen the two programs, not not be required for either. 

samuelsanf
Advisor

You can use a Drafting View, defined as started view so everybody read (this also make the project opens faster), write there the notes, status, pendin stuff, last changed mades, etc.

Corsten.Au
Advisor

1. (dplumb) We definitely don't want the nightmare of DEFPOINTS . Just something smarter like "unreferenced views tags" which shows up but we can opt to print or opt not to print.

2. (steve.thorne) The traditional way of working is have markups on pdfs, docs which everyone using and its hard to keep a track . specially multple users working and reviwing drawings becomes another task. Good you pointed  to have the " markups flow back and forth between two programs" that would be amazing..Linked markup files, ongoing, in progress, completed and easy to see the actual revisions whenever required.

3.(samuelsanf) Am currently using drafting view for starting view...

Ex: I have a central file with 5 linked revit. to have consistency on the drafting view, I have kept a " Reference notes, useful info" using " Project based Symbol" and it shows up on starting views of all the files. .consistent. So many advantages to have "Starting View"

4. We are already used to a. Reference point. b. Reference lines c. Reference planes....so probably something like reference text..

Nurlan-A.
Advisor

How about this Idea -add no plot parameter to filter?

tomek
Collaborator

I wish there was a way to markup sheets and views with non-printable (by default) notes similar to how many PDF tools allow you to enter comments. The idea is that you could highlight a portion of the view and associate a note with that markup. Clicking on the markup would reveal the note. Clicking on the note would highlight related markup in the page. 

I imagine that this could look something like the following illustration:

Revit notes idea.jpg

I think that this sort of facility would greatly improve review of drawings and save on mountains of paper being wasted every time someone wants to jot a little note on a drawing.  

This idea is related to and add to my other idea on managing complexity posted here.

cheers,

-tomek

Tags (3)
jacob.thress
Contributor

You have my upvote, but for now a workaround for this is to place a view with the annotations on a sheet and just mark it up that way. It wouldn't be trackable but would at least allow you to just hide / delete the view comments once you addressed all of the markups.

tomek
Collaborator
Yeah. That’s what we do. Sort of sometimes.

I think that having an official tool gives legitimacy to certain work
practices. I realise that there is very little actual difference. It’s all
down to the people doing the work. But it’s hard to argue with someone who
won’t really do something because “it’s just your idea” 🙂

cheers,
-Tomek

jaboone
Advocate

Not only does non plotting need to occur, there needs to be a serious revamp on plotting in general which I think is very crude and needs a lot of improvement.  I have no idea why users have not come up in arms about the mundane functions and layouts there needs to be.  Plotting in revit is like painting with high tech tools and pens then when it comes down to printing or exporting to pdf, is like trying to tell a child how to do some complicated task, which of course couldn't happen.  Please fix these things.  There is actually nothing more important than that right now, if all users can't figure it out easily.

tomek
Collaborator

Here's my idea:

• Add printable property to worksets. If a workset is set to printable it prints. If not it doesn't.
  • Allow for annotations to be placed on their own worksets. And while we're at it, allow annotations to be filtered already.
  • The rest should be pretty obvious.
wr.marshall
Advisor

The ability to have a sticky note within a given view. If an element is selected then the sticky note will be attached to the element and can be viewed in other views. I.e. attach a sticky Note to a wall in plan and it can be viewed in Section/Elevation/3D.... Basically if it would be used note to relay information such as the reason an element has been positioned in such a way, request a change and what the change should be, screenshots references  (jpg, png, bmp...) from other sources like AutoCAD/Inventor.... You would then have the ability to create a schedule to control these notes and share this with a project team. This might involve either a special external program such as design review for members not familiar/unable to use Revit to be able to review and comment on?

stephaniepha
Explorer

Is there a way to create "no plot" objects like notes on sheets/views?

i.e. I'd like to create notes visible on the screen to myself + my team without having them print.

Tags (5)
ipselute
Advisor

There is no such direct (default) option in Revit. But you can create a project parameter of (yes/no) visibility  type, then create a filter for the objects you want not to plot. Like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSkHiob9zC8

It would be much easier if Revit would have such option implemented on saved selection sets.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report