Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix hatch pattern for slope floor!

Fix hatch pattern for slope floor!

This has been a problem for years!

When the floor is sloped, the pattern get's all wonky. Placing a filled region on top is a dumb way of doing it, if the profile change, you have to go update all the filled regions. We prefer to use the live model and not put a band-aid on top. 

ATran_1-1591974197700.png

Autodesk please fix!!

51 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES PLEASE!!  Countless reasons why this is necessary.  I have had to make too many filled regions as a band-aid to this issue

Intuos5
Advisor

In general there is a need for UV mapping patterns to curved objects and also to terrain.

rbarbosa8DQGJ
Advocate

We also need a way to create hatch patterns in sheets, for little annotations, such as key plan.

Simon_Weel
Advisor

Something similar with patterns on stairs-treads. If a tread is, for example, trapezoid-shaped, the surface pattern aligns with one of the sides instead of perpendicular to the nosing line....

christopher_holden
Enthusiast

YES.

For crying out loud Autodesk, just fix your products will you? I consider this to be basic functionality that is broken not an additional feature request.

It should be possible to correctly align model hatch patterns on floors with modified subelements. This is essential for all external works and any internal floor with a fall on it - the arbitrary hatch alignment that appears when sub elements are modified is BROKEN since it was not explicitly set by the user and cannot be changed.

christopher_holden
Enthusiast

"We also need a way to create hatch patterns in sheets, for little annotations, such as key plan."

@rbarbosa8DQGJ 

You should use filled regions in a Legend View for Keys which can be placed on multiple sheets. But...

This is yet more broken stuff. If the floor family legend view worked correctly we would be able to drop floors into a legend view and set the view to something other than Section, ie: Plan, like doors and other family categories, which would then show the surface hatch patterns for a key directly. Sigh.

amir.amgad
Explorer

This is a very huge FLAW in revit especially for those trying to use this program for LANDSCAPE!! I have been battling with this issue for 6 years doing filled regions on top of floors which is double work and it hides Trees and Site furniture!! You really have to fix this AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Congrats! We think this is a great idea, so we've decided to add it to our roadmap. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Factory

pieter4
Advisor

@kimberly.fuhrman  has a decision been made on whether this fix will be targeted to drafting or model patterns? 

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @pieter4 ,

As of right now, it hasn't been decided. Feedback would be most welcomed here and in the Preview Release.

Thank you!

Kimberly

Ra-X
Explorer

Strong +1 to curing the pattern distortions

MDAVIS_MKSK
Explorer

PLEASE FIX!!!! This would be great to add in a hotfix for 2022. No need to wait, since we have been needing this feature since at least 2010.

This is currently the biggest problem for plan documentation. At my new firm where autocad is the lifeline, they cannot fathom how a hatch isn't able to project flat. Filters are also worthless if you have floors that slope. The filter hatch overrides still end up distorted. We then have to resort to filled regions in our plans to correct the distorted hatches. This is true for simple ramps to more complex forms. Using filled regions is not a reasonable workaround. Geometries change then all plans need to be updated accordingly. This is a huge time waster and pretty much feels like we are drawing hatched plans in autocad. Efficiency is definitely lost due to this issue. In 3D views I understand that the hatch would show distorted, but in 2D views used for documentation a distorted hatch pattern can cause confusion or misreading by the contractor!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

My suggeted fix (as an architect who does a lot of landscape architecture as well)

We need a need 'Paving' modelling category which has similar behaviour to floors, however unlike floors the new category understands that block paving or paving slabs have a degree of flexibility so that it can fall in multiple directions without distorting beyond beleif. The top 'paved' layer needs to drape over the shape of the of the paving slab without a load of tridangulations and warped curves.

This functionality needs to be beyond just the hatch pattern it also needs to extend to the material as well such that the material doesn't distort in renders.

In an ideal world this new 'paving' category would have 'pad' functionality built into the underside of the material such that topography would build up (or cut down) to the underside of the 'paving' build up, saves having to put a pad to the underside of each paving slab.

Please please make this happen!

jagostinho74
Collaborator

Would suggest adding a control to Fill Pattern orientation in a similar manner than the "Span Direction.

jagostinhoCT_0-1620297444401.png

neil_vero
Observer

Is there any update if this has been added to 2021 or 2022?

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @neil_vero ,

According to this item on the Revit Public Roadmap, this Idea is still under development. Stay tuned!

Kimberly

MDAVIS_MKSK
Explorer

Any status update on this issue? 

I've been hoping this would get fixed since I started working in revit in 2011! Some plan sets involve a lot of manual work and subsequent updates due to the need to draw filled regions where the hatch patterns display warped in plan. It's the biggest complaint from across my firm.... People migrating from cad use it as a case against revit since it adds a lot of time to documentation and adds the unnecessary task of managing filled regions across multiple views when model geometry changes. It would be great to shut them up! 🙂

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @MDAVIS_MKSK ,

It is still on the roadmap, and thus still in development. Other than that we really cannot say 'when' it might be implemented. You can also join the Revit Preview Release to follow feature development there. Sorry I can't be of more help! 

-Kimberly

W_Whit
Enthusiast

Hi @kimberly.fuhrman 

Can you confirm this function was not released as part of Revit  2023? 

Hopefully, I am wrong and just haven't been able to turn it on? 

Thanks, 

Ra-X
Explorer

I second Will, please confirm this hasn't been addressed - after... I don't know... a good bit over a decade of asking? - in the current version. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators