Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group Edit mode in API

Group Edit mode in API

Add a method for entering group edit mode. All i want to do is assign a group type name and the user gets flashed with a confusing warning. "A group has been changed outside group edit mode. The change is being allowed because there is only one instance of the type."

All Í do is create a group

group = doc.Create.NewGroup(ids);

20 Comments
TimHevel
Contributor

yes, we need this!

stefanome
Collaborator

I use this GroupEditor class to manage the ungroup - change - regroup process, but the limitations are huge.

If a class with a similar interface was available in the standard Revit APIs, it would make my life much easier.

zhuliyi0
Enthusiast

Copy paste from forum post:

Allow API access to group editing mode would be extremely helpful. We are an architecture firm, we use model groups heavily so lots of our work flow depends on it. (We used to work with lots of links but that didn't work well) Whenever there is a automation demand from users, it probably involves model group, and quite often I am hesitant to promise them anything because I know the ungroup-regroup workround is cumbersome and, sometimes, unstable. For us, this is one of the few pain points within Revit API that is really discouraging. I understand that getting API inside group editing mode might not be an easy task for the API team, since other "editing" modes are also missing from Revit API, but still, this is one of the most used functions in the whole software (needn't say an AutoCAD block analogy..), so lots of eager eyes are on it.

About the "unstableness" of ungroup-regroup approach: the model behaves not exactly in the way as when editing a group from within. One example is that some child element on a host could trigger the "ungoup or create new group" dialog during ungroup-regroup, while editing group from UI won't.

christopher_holden
Enthusiast

We simply need to be able to enter group edit mode, edit elements inside the group, then exit with the option to Finish or Cancel as normal using the api, otherwise large parts of the model and elements that we would otherwise be able to interact with are unavailable to our Addins.

Grouping is incredibly widely used for many valid reasons so simply leaving all elements included in a group beyond the reach of our Addins is unacceptable. We've been discussing and waiting for this basic functionality for over 10 years now, please, just implement it Autodesk.

gsMKSQ5
Explorer

Oh yes we need this. Have been trying to do something now with multiple linked Revit projects - and it works, but it very timeconsuming to maintain and edit. So groups would be a nice match for us - except we cant run our custom scripts to adjust a few custom parameters, because the elements are within a group. Please allow this. Just like it is currently possible with Assemblies - to edit elements (parameters, placement and so on) outside the Assembly editor.

SamBerk
Advocate

This is an important feature. please...

psmith37YJ2
Explorer

Revit Groups themselves are not very useful as they stand for a normal user. It's not surprising that the API is just as incomplete.

evgeny.kurbatov
Advocate

Highly demanded.

IC_KAI_ZHU
Explorer

Extremely needed. 

BinghuiLi
Participant

Highly demanded.

F.Garcia6Y866
Enthusiast

This is a must, the day this become implemented it will be a game changer!

dangtrang
Contributor

must have!

maxime.touchard7RAK6
Contributor

We are starting a huge workaround because this feature has never been implemented

zefreestijl
Advocate

please, edit mode of group is a must-have feature.

maxime.touchard7RAK6
Contributor

Currently we are using : https://github.com/stenci/RevitGroupEditor as a workaround

TimHevel
Contributor

Maxime, does this also preserve the attached detailgroups?

We need this!

hemmesMW2F3
Participant

Really important feature to get access to in the API

esatis
Advocate

Yes, we need this!

_Reflex
Community Visitor

For anyone looking for a workaround for this warning without using the GroupEditor class (I found this time consuming for my specific case), you can subscribe/unsubscribe to the FailuresProcessing event and just bypass the warning for the user. This seemed to be a quicker and easier workaround for me. You can look at this other Revit discussion post for reference:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/failure-processing-warnings-swallower-only-for-specif...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report