Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix hatch pattern for slope floor!

Fix hatch pattern for slope floor!

This has been a problem for years!

When the floor is sloped, the pattern get's all wonky. Placing a filled region on top is a dumb way of doing it, if the profile change, you have to go update all the filled regions. We prefer to use the live model and not put a band-aid on top. 

ATran_1-1591974197700.png

Autodesk please fix!!

63 Comments
MDAVIS_MKSK
Explorer

PLEASE FIX!!!! This would be great to add in a hotfix for 2022. No need to wait, since we have been needing this feature since at least 2010.

This is currently the biggest problem for plan documentation. At my new firm where autocad is the lifeline, they cannot fathom how a hatch isn't able to project flat. Filters are also worthless if you have floors that slope. The filter hatch overrides still end up distorted. We then have to resort to filled regions in our plans to correct the distorted hatches. This is true for simple ramps to more complex forms. Using filled regions is not a reasonable workaround. Geometries change then all plans need to be updated accordingly. This is a huge time waster and pretty much feels like we are drawing hatched plans in autocad. Efficiency is definitely lost due to this issue. In 3D views I understand that the hatch would show distorted, but in 2D views used for documentation a distorted hatch pattern can cause confusion or misreading by the contractor!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

My suggeted fix (as an architect who does a lot of landscape architecture as well)

We need a need 'Paving' modelling category which has similar behaviour to floors, however unlike floors the new category understands that block paving or paving slabs have a degree of flexibility so that it can fall in multiple directions without distorting beyond beleif. The top 'paved' layer needs to drape over the shape of the of the paving slab without a load of tridangulations and warped curves.

This functionality needs to be beyond just the hatch pattern it also needs to extend to the material as well such that the material doesn't distort in renders.

In an ideal world this new 'paving' category would have 'pad' functionality built into the underside of the material such that topography would build up (or cut down) to the underside of the 'paving' build up, saves having to put a pad to the underside of each paving slab.

Please please make this happen!

jagostinho74
Collaborator

Would suggest adding a control to Fill Pattern orientation in a similar manner than the "Span Direction.

jagostinhoCT_0-1620297444401.png

neil_vero
Observer

Is there any update if this has been added to 2021 or 2022?

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @neil_vero ,

According to this item on the Revit Public Roadmap, this Idea is still under development. Stay tuned!

Kimberly

amir.amgad
Explorer
MDAVIS_MKSK
Explorer

Any status update on this issue? 

I've been hoping this would get fixed since I started working in revit in 2011! Some plan sets involve a lot of manual work and subsequent updates due to the need to draw filled regions where the hatch patterns display warped in plan. It's the biggest complaint from across my firm.... People migrating from cad use it as a case against revit since it adds a lot of time to documentation and adds the unnecessary task of managing filled regions across multiple views when model geometry changes. It would be great to shut them up! 🙂

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @MDAVIS_MKSK ,

It is still on the roadmap, and thus still in development. Other than that we really cannot say 'when' it might be implemented. You can also join the Revit Preview Release to follow feature development there. Sorry I can't be of more help! 

-Kimberly

W_Whit
Enthusiast

Hi @kimberly.fuhrman 

Can you confirm this function was not released as part of Revit  2023? 

Hopefully, I am wrong and just haven't been able to turn it on? 

Thanks, 

Ra-X
Explorer

I second Will, please confirm this hasn't been addressed - after... I don't know... a good bit over a decade of asking? - in the current version. 

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @W_Whit ,

This was not released in Revit 2023. This is still on our Revit Public Roadmap and currently in development. Feel free to join the Revit Preview Release to test and give feedback as it becomes available in beta.

Thank you!

Kimberly

Intuos5
Advisor

@kimberly.fuhrmanRevit doesn't seem to have open beta positions and this has been the case for quite a while from the looks of it. At least, there is no application form for Revit in the link you provided.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @Intuos5 ,

The Revit Preview Release is our continuous beta program and enrollment is always open. Once logged into the Feedback Community, select "Revit Preview" from the available opportunities. If you are having trouble accessing the project, please email revit.preview.access@autodesk.com, or contact me directly. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

-Kimberly

MDAVIS_MKSK
Explorer

Please release this in a hotfix for 2023! It still boggles my mind how this issue hasn't been resolved in 2023... I've been using revit for around 15 years and get annoyed every time.

I suggest the software development team try producing a document set with ramps, floors with drains, roofs with slopes, or modified hardscape floors outside of the building... you'll be easily convinced how ineffective the program is under these conditions!!! 🙂

JamieMann
Explorer

While you're at it, how about adding hatch pattern visibility to ramps?

admin47
Participant

THIS!

Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 10.57.51.png

 PLEASE sort it out. This has been a limitation of Revit for years. 

emiliolopezUXU8N
Community Visitor

emiliolopezUXU8N_0-1660256715484.png

Isn't there still a way to solve this?

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

@pieter1 wouldn't this be best if it was a model pattern solution rather than using drafting patterns so we could sitll manipulate the pattern alignment?

pieter1
Advisor

@Mark_Engwirda  Model patterns are supposed to represent 'real dimensions' of patterns. And the problem is that in the real world, there is no way to properly align the patterns on a faceted surface.  You need to provide for gaps and misaligned here and there.

Of course Revit could 'fake it', but that would mean that the plans no longer match the 3D views, which I think is a huge drawback.

That same problem does not exist for drafting patterns as they differ in each view (and scale) anyway. So there it is at least theoretically possible.

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

Thanks for the clarity @pieter1 

I am looking at trying to combine a couple of ideas:

a faceted floor e.g. wet area floors that show the tiles correctly in all views;
a floor that will also create a recess into the main floor.
The idea is to have a floor setting or type of floor that cuts (not joins) the main floor to provide the setdown at the same time. The idea of having a floor setdown tool has been asked for previously as per @matt.barnett72U83  and @Anonymous  

I would like to get your opinion on the model patterns again as they do appear to work in the examples, please advise if I have not taken something into consideration.

What Revit currently provides as per the images below...

if the faceted floor is above the main floor.
if the faceted floor perimeter is the same as the main floor height. what you are seeing is the tiled floor embedded into the main floor using the join tool.
as above, the faceted floor perimeter is the same as the main floor height with a floor cutout to the main floor. The cutout has been created separately to achieve the desired result.
In this case, the tile pattern uses a model pattern and all of the model lines are aligned and rotated correctly to match up with each other. This shows the pattern correctly both in the plan view and in a 3D view.
as above but using a drafting pattern, which obviously cannot be manipulated into its correct alignment.

Plan View

Sloping Floors Plan.jpg

3D view

Sloping Floors 3D.jpg

@anielson and @sasha.crotty, you may be interested in this.
Should this combined idea be submitted as a further idea to possibly create extra votes?

 Love to know everyone's thoughts

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators