Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable tag and dimension in legend view.

Enable tag and dimension in legend view.

there is something annoying that makes many of my colleagues create a "legend" phase for just for legend purpose.

For instance, we can tag material and layers on a wall composition , but why couldn't we dimension the overall width or even tag the typeMark of the wall?

who use only material tag? 

132 Comments
WM_Ron_Allen
Collaborator

Don't cross-post unless it is to consolidate multiple threads of the same idea.

If we are talking Hyperbole - just go back to Vanilla Flat-cad Autocad.  I am sure it can handle BIM and 3D data fine in 2d. And think of all the time you save by not having to look at every aspect of the model- especially that pesky 3rd dimension!

Autodesk laying off large divisions in the old hire-fire scenario rather that doubling down in development Right as their AutoCAD Spokesperson Lynn Allen left... See a indication of direction here? I suspect those were AutoCAD coders and AutoCAD base folks when the closed the Swiss office in 2017.

If you really want them to push all their development into Revit- Stop using AutoCAD and its derivatives!

WFTDesign
Advocate

Yes, if you really want to learn Revit in hard ways, the be OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS. That's what I am doing now because I want to work in Architectural Firms again. I had made the decision to give up AutoCAD for good. If you have a strong AutoCAD background then you should embrace Revit easily. 

I recommend you subscribe to Jeff the "Revit Kid" blogs. 

pedro
Contributor

I'm far past "learning" REVIT at this point. I'm at the point of knowing it so well I can see its inadequacies and complain about things I expected to see resolved years ago. As a 12 year user of this software I believe I'm qualified to do so without being told to "go back to AutoCAD." But hey, at least we got PDF insertion this year right? But not linking, or snapping, or anything else you'd expect to have... which is something AutoCAD actually does better, and has for years.

@pedro I've sent the list you compiled to the moderators as duplicates of this idea suitable for merging. When they merge them the votes get consolidated which helps push the idea up in front of the roadmap planning people at Autodesk. 

WFTDesign
Advocate

@MichaelWarwick7522 , yes I like that. That can help them to see that and include that feature sooner than 2026. Good thing, especially you liked my screencast!  Thank you!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to tag the thickness of a layer in a wall for etc. I only can tag the material but not the thickness, I have to write it manually, even though revit has Information about the dimensions of the construction of a walltype

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep that sounds great. upvote.

and of course Dimensions would be great too.

I'd like to add Parts view in legends! Then Parts tags could show layer thickness and material with a leader pointing to the relevant part layer. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everybody,

I did a search on this topic and I don't seem to have found any proper solution. 

What I am after if a tool (dimension style?) that I can use to dimension the legend component. I've never quite got why I can dimension every layer of a wall in a plan or section view but when it comes to a legend I'm not able to do it - something that has always got on my nerves!

Is there a way this can be done and if not can this become an enquiry for Autodesk? I am sure I am not the only user who would benefit from this tool. 

josh.hafel
Enthusiast

I know that its been 4 years since this thread has started but MAJOR Upvote. Window and Door Legends would be way less stressful if I could use a parametric window and door tag on my legend symbol rather than a text box that someone could forget to update.... Legend symbols are one of those revit things that are soooo close to being this perfect tool, but falls just short. Tagging in legends would fix that.Annotation 2020-02-04 135456.jpg

craigh_bim
Advocate

You can dimension a Legend component. You have to be in your Project, then create a Legend. Then you can dimension one item to another. There has to be something to Dimension to, so sometimes you need to add a Reference Plane, or a Model Line.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@craigh_bim 

Sorry, I haven't been clear. I was talking about items like walls, which can't be dimensioned once placed in the legend. Even if you switch from plan to section view there is no way to add dimensions to the layers unless you draw a detail line on top of them. And that's very annoying! 

craigh_bim
Advocate

@Anonymous 

I get it. Legends are inadequate. 😞

peter.besley
Participant

It's possible to do a Material Keynote but not an Object Keynote. Object Keynoting of Legend View items is needed.

gsucci
Collaborator

yeah, its mid of 2020 and we still cannot create a real BIM legend in Revit...

unbelievable.

gio

michaltaras
Contributor
This is a request to endorse LEGENDS with ability to TAG a legend component. In example walls legend should at least be possible to tag represented walls. That way we'd have a "live" display of what this element is, and could pair it with a schedules, at least. Otherwise, any other way to display a parametric description of placed legend elements.
Tags (5)
Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be a great option. Especially for type parameters.

Matt-Bishop
Contributor

This deserves so many more votes, Legends are awful in Revit.  Considering this is BIM, the function of these are completely opposite of what BIM stands for. Should of been fixed many years ago. Allot of work is needed on increasing functionality of  legends.

gsucci
Collaborator

What is the status of this request? "Gathering support"?

This is IMMENSELY useful for us to create REAL BIM Legends... and we need to make legends EVERY DAY, for EVERY PROJECT, this is not a rare task, but a daily occurrence.

Only materials parameters can be tagged in legends, last time I checked.

Right now we still have to create a "Legend" phase, or option... and actually model the legends' elements in some remote portion of the project... quite incredible after 15 years of development.

Thank you

Gio

pedro
Contributor

Incredible is one way to put it. Abusive/Irresponsible/Careless would be others. 
It's things like this that forced the largest names in Architecture to pen an open letter to the pathetic attention design has received in this program. Even after that there's been no progress on this or the thousand other quality of life issues in the design-realm in REVIT updates. 

https://www.archpaper.com/2020/07/leading-architecture-firms-pen-open-letter-to-autodesk/

Kev_D
Collaborator

This is a much needed addition. We can't simply draw lines on the edge of a wall and dimension to them, only for the wall to change width and then the legend is wrong. We have to go into the Legend and make the change. This is not BIM. I see so many additions made to Revit 2022, and although some are great, the ability to dimension properly (and tag) in a Legend is much more important. It reduces so much time double checking things in Legend views after something is changed in the Model. I will not introduce a new Phase as other posts have suggested to deal with this. Please introduce this asap @Anonymous. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators