Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Duplicate Graphic Overrides

Duplicate Graphic Overrides

It would be great if when using the command "Duplicate View - Duplicate with Detailing" any graphic overrides that are active in the original view copied into the new one or there was an option to do so.

37 Comments
laurenk
Advocate
Include linework overrides in duplicating views with detail
Tags (1)
JanUsinger
Enthusiast

I am not quite sure that I understand your comment (the 'with detail' part).

But, if you like to duplicate a view including lineworks overwrites then just do this.

Duplicate the view as a dependent view first.

Then right click the new dependent view and 'Convert to indipendent view'.

Done.

laurenk
Advocate

My suggestion is:

Select the view in the browser, right click and select:

Duplicate with Detailing

This should include linework overrides.

To dupllicate as dependant and convert to independent adds steps to the process - this is so time consuming & simply a workaround which could be solved by implementing my suggestion.

We are looking to be efficient - especially when duplicating 64 apartment floor plans over multiple levels. 

JanUsinger
Enthusiast

Fair enough.

However, as there is a very efficent workaround already available for this issue (come on, one more right click!) I would rather like Autodesk to look into issues for which there are no quick solutions available.

laurenk
Advocate

If you duplicate a view with detail it should include all detail.

I would like to see Adsk refine the tools so that workarounds arent necessary.

The number of clicks is quite frustrating for the end user. 

Dont know about you guys, but if you do the math..

64 duplilcate views over 7 levels = 448 additional clicks - freaking annoying & totally inefficient!

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision. 

The Factory

sasha.crotty
Community Manager

To help us evaluate this request further, could I ask you all to answer a very quick (1 question) survey? Feel free to share with friends.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BNL7DKV

Thanks,

Sasha

lionel.kai
Advisor

I just took the survey, and included this in the comment:

Linework IS detailing, so "Duplicate with Detailing" should ALWAYS duplicate any Linework overrides. HOWEVER, since "Duplicate with Detailing" is also being used as a (partial [1]) workaround to removing Linework overrides [2], you should look into implementing that feature at the same time OR there should be a (temporary) option (to duplicate w/ or w/o Linework) until the feature to remove linework is also implemented.

[1] BTW, the workaround is "partial" because it does NOT give you the same view (any links to it would need to be changed)

[2] https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/reveal-linework-clear-linework-override/idc-p/6883949

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/reveal-overridden-elements/idi-p/6364095

lionel.kai
Advisor

BTW, ALL Graphic Overrides should be kept when a view is "Duplicated with Detailing" (not just Linework, but Hidden Elements and Element Overrides also).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sasha.crottyI would plead to Autodesk to not fulfill this request.

Linework is NOT detailing. Detailing is anything whose workset=the view. Linework and graphic overides are modeled elements that look different. Duplicate with detailing is very clear in what it does, as is duplicate as a dependent.

Now at the risk of making the software more complicated I would support a "duplicate exactly" which would do precisely what @laurenk wants.

I click about 10,000 times a day and any day where I would be theoretically creating 450 new views manually would already be the worst ever so I don't think the two step process causes much of a loss of productivity for most. To be honest Lauren I think there's probably a more efficient system for your task as is, seems crazy that there are element by element overrides in close to 500 views.

@lionel.kaisuggests two other very good suggestions, reveal and reset of linework and element graphic overrides, both would be helpful.

Please keep the functionality of Duplicate w/ Detailing as it is.

laurenk
Advocate
Totally agree with Lionel's comments. There needs to be a way to create a dupicate view where object and linework overrides are removed.
Or use a temporay view setting to reveal overrides. (See separate idea thread).

Galen, we use linework overrides sparingly- and do not use element overrides.

Linework is used to created a dashed line for a soffit or bulkhead overhead.

We also use it to make a line invisible where two materials do not join as desired. An example would be a wall with paint colour A joining another wall with paint colour B. We see the paint tool as dangerous as it does not change if the wall type is revised. (Refer to idea thread - finishes are not materials).

Fortunately Autodesk seem to be listening to our requests and we hope that they prioritise the above ideas to make the system a better user experience.
These are long time requests and I believe many people experience the same frustrations as is noted by the number of kudos in this thread together with many blog articles over the years.
Anonymous
Not applicable

duplicate without linework/overides = duplicate with detailing

duplicate with linework/overrides = duplicate as a dependent

we seem to agree that a 'duplicate with overrides but not as a dependent' would be a useful 4th view duplication option

lionel.kai
Advisor

BTW, I've just noticed that view-specific model & datum element overrides ARE kept when you Duplicate with Detailing (but overrides to Detail Components are NOT). Like many things in Revit, behavior is not consistent (or clearly documented within the user interface). So if you REALLY want to duplicate a detail with all annotation elements (but no overrides), you need to use the regular "Duplicate", then manually copy all the elements over.

TIP: If you want to duplicate a "Detail View" with all Linework & Overrides, first change it to a "Section" (to enable "Duplicate as a Dependent").

@Anonymous I sincerely do NOT want to start a semantics-based flame war on the definition of "detailing" Smiley Happy, so instead I'll agree to disagree, but I would like to explain why "Duplicate with detailing is [NOT] very clear in what it does":

"Duplicate as a Dependent" is pretty obvious, so we can leave that alone.

However, the other two seem to imply the following:

"Duplicate": make a "clean" copy (as if it was just created with all the same properties)

"Duplicate with Detailing": make an exact copy (WITH all the changes that were made to the view)

In other words, duplicate the view with and without all the "stuff" you added to it after it was cut. However, "Duplicate with Detailing" has instead been coded to mean "Duplicate with Everything except Linework & DC Overrides" (Annotation Symbols, Detail Components, Detail Lines, Text, Dimensions, etc. and exclude SOME other additions/changes to the view. I think it should be renamed to "Duplicate with Added Elements" to make it more clear to the user since it appears to be desired to be kept as is, but a "Duplicate Exactly" option (as you suggested) should also be added (per this wish).

It's not at all obvious to me (and most users, I would think) that if you want to "Duplicate Exactly" that you should first change the "Detail View" into a "Section" (if needed; you're SOL if you want to duplicate a Drafting View exactly), choose the "Duplicate as a Dependent" option, then choose "Convert to independent view", then change the "Section" back into a "Detail View" (if needed).

lionel.kai
Advisor

I also meant to include this link in my previous post ("Hidden model elements and datum ... will remain hidden."):

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/EN...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a new view created by 'Duplicate with Detailing" maintain the Linework tool overrides from the original view.

Surprised I couldn't find this Idea on the forum already. Saw a similar idea requesting the linework tool to override globally. I can see reasons for or against that one, but I can't see any reason why a view duplicated with detailing would not want the linework overrides as well. Like the detailing or VG in the new view, they don't need to be forever linked, just start out with the same graphics. The 'Override by Element' graphics are maintained when duplicated with detailing. Just not the Linework tool.Smiley Sad

Tags (1)
krzystoff
Advocate

I support this option, but it should be additional to the current setting, when you don't wish to copy the overrides, just the elements.

pieter1
Advisor

I would also like to see overrides to annotation elements being included. We often color dimensions, tags or text notes red if they need double checking for example. It's a good way to limit the number of types for dimensions, text, etc.

However, when duplicating a view with detailing, the overrides on annotation items are lost. 

Thierry.A
Advocate

Yes ! And also when we copy a Section.

kunalwadhera
Enthusiast

It does happen.

Override a component in a view for example a wall and duplicate that view.

In the duplicated view you will see that graphic override.

Thierry.A
Advocate

Are you sure about that ? Smiley LOL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators