Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex line types

Complex line types

In Revit the  lines types you can have is really pathetic compared to AutoCADs - dashes, dots and continious lines. (And the ofcourse the Insulation that has its own button to make, and the revision cloud if that counts...). Would be very helpful to be able to make various line types with shapes in 2d - like tracks, talus and I thing that was already suggested - with text in it. Out from deperation (again) we are using detail line family with text in it to display  ELEC, HYDRO, Xs (for fence), etc... but comes a curve and there the solution stops. We are also forced to do untinkable things to a surveyors drawings in order to preserve their line types in Revit.

177 Comments
cindy_wang
Autodesk

Linestyles should contain text elements (EGRESS, GAS, 2HR, etc.)

suggested by: Perkins+Will

angela_bachetti
Contributor

Have additional property linetypes. ie: setback, easement.

jaboone
Advocate

We need a line style manager that has the ability to edit every component of a line and its aspects instead of a blackbox of items that uses 1980's technology to determine how lines display.  Get away from acad and the anique methods it uses to control a very limited old school method of lines.

I would hope to see ability and edit small family symbols into a line as well.  The current methods if fire wall labeling is very old school and the socioty has been brainwashed for so long, we think there is no better method of designating line types.

lionel.kai
Advisor
lionel.kai
Advisor
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.  

The Factory

Kimtaurus
Advisor

One more sugestions for the linetypes: create a parameter for the line ending. Right now it's always a round ending, I'd like to be able to set a straight ending if neccesary. It's mainly a problem for thicker lines, because the rounding become noticable.

E.g. when using a filled Region with a thicker lineweight, the lines go over the edges of the region.

Lineweight_pattern.PNG

lionel.kai
Advisor

@Kimtaurus Control over line endings should be a separate idea. Also, in your example, having straight line endings wouldn't help the situation - the "corners" would still stick out (and not go to the boundary line on the inside). BTW, how are you using the example since you can't match it to material fill patter line weights? (see http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/create-a-dedicated-fill-pattern-lineweight-pen/idi-p/63771...).

randy.sallwasser
Explorer

It would be nice to be able to have line styles with text in them. That could then be used for piping so single line pipe could match industry standards. without having to jump thru hoops.

Kimtaurus
Advisor

This idea has already been posted and is under review.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/complex-line-types/idi-p/6330340

Karol_Piroska
Advisor

This is not that difficult to do actually. I created mine based on the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swR-zJkc1fQ

Kimtaurus
Advisor

@Karol_Piroska This technique (or using Repeating Detail Components) only works for straight lines.

(But again, this idea was already posted 4 months ago (see reply above).)

yavork
Advocate

As Autodesk staff has told me the proposed idea is actually two ideas (one for complex line type and one for line type with a text) to make it clear I suggest the first priority would be the complex linetype so when importing surveyor dwg it imports as it should.

Linetypes.jpg

m.steffannoe
Enthusiast

What about an Editor for creating line types?

evertz
Participant

The insulation-line should get a parameter for start and end-width!

And how about multilines for roof-sealing?!

laurasmagin
Collaborator

Please, it would be perfect if we can generate linetypes with text, special txt characters, or symbols.

We still need to show these linestyle in our delivery e.g. 2D views.

YarUnderoaker
Collaborator

Here is same idea Complex line types

WKopp
Contributor

There is actually a video in the Autodesk University describing how to create this kind of linetypes in Revit. We are doing this for all our schematics we need to do in Revit and it works fine.

dkuzev
Participant

@evertz Insulation line with different start and edn widths... great idea!!!

mmoschner
Contributor

The new line types should also be able to display a real dot instead of the short "1.5" line!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report