Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add a "Centered Space" Justification option for Beam Systems

add a "Centered Space" Justification option for Beam Systems

The current "Center" Justification option puts a Joist centered in the Beam System. This sometimes results in Joists placed less than half of the spacing from the edges (i.e. one more Joist than is needed). For example, if we have TJIs at 16" within a 25' wide space, we wind up with (19) TJIs and 6" spaces at the ends. If a SPACE was centered (instead of a Joist), the end spacing would be 14" and we'd only need (18) TJIs. 

Our current WORKAROUND after placing the Beam System:

1. Check if the edge spaces are less than half of the typical joist spacing. If yes:
  2. Edit Boundary
  3. Draw a Beam Direction Line on one of the Joists
  4. Move the Beam Direction Line by half of the spacing (in either direction)
  5. Change Justification from "Center" to "Direction Line"
  6. Finish Edit Mode

There are other (simpler/faster/easier) WORKAROUNDS, but they fall short in giving us what we want (the result above): In most cases, using the "Maximum Spacing" Layout Rule would give us the correct NUMBER of Joists (EQ spacing is fine for structural steel), but we ALMOST ALWAYS want an exact spacing for floor joists (for plywood panel alignment, etc.). Using "Beginning" or "End" for Justification would also result in the correct number of Joists, but would sometimes make one side a much smaller space (in which case we would want them centered).

I would like to see a "Centered Space" Justification option (that replicates steps 2-6 above). Considering how many "non-trivial" calcs are currently being done for Beam System Layout Rules and Justification options, I would think this would be easy to do.

Probably 6-7 years ago I submitted an idea of having a "minimize number" Layout Rule for Beam Systems and was told that implementation would be "non-trivial." I still disagree, but hope that this part of the idea will be a little easier for the development team to chew on. 🙂 Then at least it would be much easier/quicker for us to reduce the number of Joists needed. However, I am also submitting that full idea here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/add-a-quot-fixed-distance-minimize-number-of-joists-quot-l...

5 Comments
lionel.kai
Advisor

If this option were to be implemented (instead of the more comprehensive one linked to in my OP), it would also need to check for a condition (when geometry changes, or even upon initial creation) where the "space" is bigger than the width of the Beam System (and therefore no Framing member would be created. The proper response should be some kind of Warning stating "'Centered Space' Justification converted to 'Center' for Beam System ID _." (along with the actual change to the Beam System property).

sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

lionel.kai
Advisor
lionel.kai
Advisor

and reposted the main idea here: Beam System: "Minimize Number" Layout Rule

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report