Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add a "Fixed Distance (Minimize Number of Joists)" Layout Rule for Beam Systems

add a "Fixed Distance (Minimize Number of Joists)" Layout Rule for Beam Systems

The current "Fixed Distance" Layout Rule puts a Joist centered in the Beam System (by default). This sometimes results in Joists placed less than half of the spacing from the edges (i.e. one more Joist than is needed). For example, if we have TJIs at 16" within a 25' wide space, we wind up with (19) TJIs and 6" spaces at the ends. If a SPACE was centered (instead of a Joist), the end spacing would be 14" and we'd only need (18) TJIs.

For my current WORKAROUND, see my "Centered Space" Justification idea:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/add-a-quot-centered-space-quot-justification-option-for-be...

What I would REALLY like is a Layout Rule that AUTOMATICALLY minimizes the number of Joists needed for the Fixed Spacing given. My suggested logic would be:

1. Count the number of Joists needed for the "Fixed Distance" Layout Rule with "Center" Justification
  2. Count the number of Joists needed for the "Fixed Distance" Layout Rule with my proposed "Centered Space" Justification (see my idea link above)
  3. Set the Justification option (disabled in the UI) to the one corresponding to the smaller number of Joists

Probably 6-7 years ago I submitted this idea and was told that implementation would be "non-trivial." I completely disagree (and hope you do too) - PLEASE VOTE! 🙂

3 Comments
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get the support of the community over the last 6 months and as such we will not be pursuing it at this time. Please feel free to rework (titles and clear descriptions are really important) and resubmit this one down the road.
sasha.crotty
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

lionel.kai
Advisor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report