Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D orbit around the mouse by default

3D orbit around the mouse by default

The orbit center should default to the mouse location. Once I hold shift and middle mouse click, wherever I clicked with the middle mouse should be my center for the orbit.

It would be great if this was an option in the Revit.ini. Either have the option for center on the mouse, or use the current option for center on an object/overall model.

28 Comments
dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

3D Views will use anything selected as the Orbit Center.

It's only one click 

casquatch
Collaborator

I agree it is just one click, but for anyone getting into the software it just isn't intuitive, it just seems backwards to have an orbit that isn't around the mouse. Most other 3D software (even other Autodesk stuff) will orbit around the mouse position.

Again, it's just one click, but if you forget that one click, then you spend a lot of time getting back to where you want to be. This is especially true when you have a 3D section box cropping your view. A lot of times it will not respect the sectioned area and instead just orbit around the entire 3D model either way.

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

There's a nice function that's well-hidden that can help with losing where you are.

If you activate the Steering Wheel, one of the selections is "Rewind"

Rewind stores a history of your Zooms and Pans and allows you to - just like the Rewind button on your DVD player - go back to multiple previous Pan & Zooms.

It's a great command, but its hidden under the unloved Steering Wheel.

I've been advocating for years to put the Rewind tool on the View Tab, but no luck.

In fact, I've made two Revit Ideas posts about it, but neither one got many upvotes

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/make-view-rewind-tool-discoverable/idi-p/7530658

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/add-rewind-to-the-ribbon/idi-p/6827494

pieter5
Advisor

I agree with the topic poster. Programs that use this type of orbiting feel much more natural to navigate in. 

casquatch
Collaborator

@dplumb_BWBR, I do know about the Steering Wheel and the Rewind function, but again, that is just one more thing I have to dig out just to undo something that should have worked the way that my mind / hands assumed it would do in the first place. Intuitive is the thing here. I'd like it to work the way that makes the most sense from the start, the way that is the most efficient as well.

dgorsman
Consultant

Hold up a second.  When you say "orbit around the mouse", do you really mean "orbit around where the cursor was when orbit was called"?  Or something else?

casquatch
Collaborator

@dgorsman, Yes. When I click to orbit, I'd like it to orbit centered at the spot where the mouse is.

There may be more involved with the depth of that orbit, but I would think it can be handled better than the current orbit that is centered in all directions of the model. Usually that isn't what is wanted.

pieter5
Advisor

For reference: sketchup works like this

pieter5
Advisor

Also, when there's an active selection, I would still orbit around that (so in that case leave the current behavior in place). But when you have nothing selected, you should just rotate around where your mouse is pointing. 

casquatch
Collaborator
Yes. Agreed on that!

BenGuler
Contributor

Please implement this idea!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still no response for this?

Tupaia
Advocate

Hi!

100% agree with this wish.

However, to be a little bit more precise, the orbiting center should not be the mouse pointer (because where would this be in 3d space?) but the point on any 3d geometry that is hit by a ray cast from the mouse pointer directly into the scene.

boyce.postma
Enthusiast

@dplumb_BWBR suggesting that we should use an undo (rewind) as a solution to bad controls just doesn't make any sense. How about they just fix the navigation. And I agree with @casquatch - it is completely counter intuitive to click on an object and then move and then click on another object and then move again. It is just a very inefficient way to to navigate a 3D space. 

BenGuler
Contributor

To add to the inefficiency of orbiting around the selected elements - once an element is selected, you can only orbit about the center of that element not a specific corner (especially useful for large elements, that would have a centroid far out of the view). I would completely remove the orbit around selected if the orbit around cursor is successfully implemented.

boyce.postma
Enthusiast

@BenGuler Orbiting around cursor would be a step forward. You are absolutely right that big objects are a problem. 

pieter5
Advisor

@Tupaia 

good point. It's important to note that there's two scenarios here:

Recap-like behavior: if you hold your mouse on the right side of the screen, the center of orbit will be on the right side. 

Sketchup, rhino and formit like behavior: the mouse is used to determine how far the point should be, but the center of orbit is always straight ahead of the user (e.g. on a vertical plane drawn through the middle of the canvas).

I much prefer the second option as it has become somewhat of an industry standard and I feel its more intuitive than Recaps orbit. Users don't have to train a long time to master navigation, even when they are new to 3d navigation.

So to summarize: 

- determine XYZ of geometry under mouse

- project this point on a vertical plane going through the center of the canvas

- use this as orbit

Not sure how the orbit should work when there's no geometry under the mouse, but studying how formit, rhino, sketchup and other programs do this would of course be a good place to start.

cheyneMHL26
Observer

Autodesk really need to sort this out.  I have been using Revit for years now at it still frustrates the hell out of me.   I agree only one click....  but what if you select somthing that is a single body that is big enough to cover the  whole site, for example almost any CAD Import, or..... the GROUND!  It rotates not around the center of what your looking at and have selected, but around the center of the of object, AKA the center of the site.  Stupid,  Fix it already.  

esashn.lic
Explorer

Yes this is still a problem in R2021. This needs to change for perspective. Look at competing software.

ltelesConco
Explorer

I strongly disagree with the "It's only one click" argument. Many times, that one click will require you to leave whatever tool you may currently be using or family instances you may be placing.

Even if you do perform that "one click", it still may not be helpful. Say you are zoomed in to the corner of a very large slab, and want to look under it. That operation will be tricky because it will orbit on the center of the slab, which is probably not even on the screen.

I agree with other posts about SketchUp as an example in handling this. In fact, even Assemble and other Autodesk products handle it better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report