Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Hatch Pattern Line Weights

67 REPLIES 67
SOLVED
Message 1 of 68
Anonymous
59553 Views, 67 Replies

Control Hatch Pattern Line Weights

Hello,

I found this being posted by number of people and a lot of answers marked as solutions. But they don't seem to work.

Hatch patterns seem to be understood as taking a default pen width 1. So While playing around for changing these hatch weights, I changed all pen 1 widths to 0.5mm, for all scales, in Manage > Settings > Additional Settings > Line Weights > Model Line Weights - Perspective Line Weights > Annotation Line Weights.

Nothing seems to change hatch pattern or cut surface pattern line weights. Could any sage help?

67 REPLIES 67
Message 41 of 68
RobDraw
in reply to: jsanders

@jsanders wrote:

Autodesk has decided to not make this feature possible and so we will never be able to control the thickness of our walls patterns.

That's right. The programmers decided to stick it to the users.

@jsanders wrote:

you are making the discussion sterile.

I don't see you contributing a solution, either.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 42 of 68
chaldeman
in reply to: RobDraw

Since the lines of a fill pattern used as a cut pattern for walls in Revit appear to default to Model Line Weight 1, and Revit does not offer (as of Revit 2020) the ability to change this default, the only way I can see to control the line weight of walls' cut patterns in Revit is to change the width of Model Line Weight 1 (for each view scale) to the desired width of your wall cut pattern. Then, change all other Object Styles in Revit so that none of them use Model Line Weight 1.

The upside to this workaround is that you could then control the weight of the lines in your wall cut patterns.

The downside to this is that the weight of the lines in all wall cut patterns in all walls in Revit would have to use that same line weight (Line Weight 1).

Message 43 of 68
David125
in reply to: ToanDN

This doesn't really solve anything, does it? Why is it marked as a solution?

Message 44 of 68
ToanDN
in reply to: David125

See post #20.
Message 45 of 68
RobDraw
in reply to: David125

The OP was the one that marked it as a solution. You would have to ask that person. Sometimes people mark posts as solutions because it helps them understand or because it was helpful in some way. There are no rules as to what can be marked as a solution even if there isn't one.

Rob

Message 46 of 68
Cucu_Setiawan
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry, maybe I'm late.
I have a solution for hatch line thickness, You can download the Dynamo definition here

Tags (1)
Message 47 of 68

Lol using  dynamo to define hatch line weight. That's how I like to bill my client.

Simply being able to define which "system" lightweight is used per material or hatch pattern is what's missing. 

Message 48 of 68
RobDraw
in reply to: nathaniel.mcmahon

@nathaniel.mcmahon wrote:

Lol using  dynamo to define hatch line weight. That's how I like to bill my client.

Simply being able to define which "system" lightweight is used per material or hatch pattern is what's missing. 

This forum is for solutions. Not all of us have to justify how we get the job done, plus you don't have to bill your client for it if you don't want to when you use it.

Feature requests belong in the IDEAS forum.

LOLing at someone attempting to help is out of line.

Rob

Message 49 of 68
nathaniel.mcmahon

Sorry just trying to alleviate the drudgery of being an architect, wasn't meant to be personal.

Message 50 of 68
esr712
in reply to: nathaniel.mcmahon

The answer to this issue is in object styles (not visibility / graphics overrides). Try changing the line-weight of your category up (or down) to see if that works for you.

@Anonymous  Let me know if this helps you.

Message 51 of 68
lmpka
in reply to: esr712

From what I understand, the hatch pattern is controlled by the Object Styles line weight.  Line weight overrides don't affect the line weight of the hatch pattern. 

So you set the line weight in object styles that you want to use for the hatch pattern, then use the visibility graphics overrides to change the line weight used for the object.  So, if you wanted your floors to have thick lines for the outlines, and thin lines for your hatch pattern, in the Object Styles override, you'd set the line weight to 1 for the floors, and then in the visibility graphics overrides, you'd set the line weight to 4 (for example).

If it's a linked background model, then you're out of luck unless you want to go into it and adjust it every time you get an update.

Same thing as stated above, just a little more verbose.

Message 52 of 68
David125
in reply to: Anonymous

Is it possible to control the line weight of a pattern in a ceiling? It would be nice to show new/demo ceiling line wight as bold.

Message 53 of 68

It seems like this thread has digressed... 

I'm not here to offer a solution, but I'm seeking a similar work around. 

So, by way of example, I'm contributing a real world example of why it would be useful to be able to affect the surface pattern or cut pattern of an element. (Not via a Fill Hatch Region) 

Architectural problem: 

I need to convey the extents of the demolition of a roofing membrane in plan and the insulation below. Membranes in general do not have a surface pattern. So, the phasing graphic override has no affect. I added a surface pattern using a custom pattern I created with dashed lines to denote demolition. However, the line weight is automatically set to 1 and can not be modified. So, it doesn't read bold enough like the usually heavy weight dashed lines used to indicate demolition. Using a Filled Region gives me the ability to affect the light weight but the Fill Region interferes with Keynote tags. The keynotes lose their host because the Filled region gets in the way. 

I think it would be helpful if, in the PAT file where we create fill patterns, Revit could include another parameter for light weight and/or line style. Then, pattern creation may take on a two step process where first you defined the line style or reference an existing one, then indicate the rest of the pattern geometry using that line style. It might even be cool if you could mix line styles instead of having to define them each time within the pattern definition - i.e. Dashed weight 1, solid weight 3, dashed weight 1... (with the usually offset and origin beginnings). 

...just trying to emphasize why having such a tool would be necessary. 

Message 54 of 68

The IDEAS forum is a much better place for your thoughts. We are users like you here to ask or answer questions about how to use the program.

Good luck.

Rob

Message 55 of 68
JDA_Joe
in reply to: Sahay_R

Ketan,

Maybe you can help me control the appearance of hatch. I have a Wall with heavy line weight Sand hatch and Structural Framing with light line weight Sand hatch. See screenshot below. I would like them to be light, and even lighter than the Structural framing hatch. How can I manipulate this?

JDA_Joe_0-1634945652198.png

Message 56 of 68
JDA_Joe
in reply to: Sahay_R

I meant to send that to you. I inadvertently addressed it to Ketan.

Message 57 of 68
RobDraw
in reply to: JDA_Joe

If you had read the thread or, at a minimum, the posts marked as solutions, you would have figured out that this is not possible.

Good luck!

Rob

Message 58 of 68
RDAOU

@RobDraw 

(Assuming Hatch Pattern they are referring to Surface Patterns)

Overridden surface pattern will follow the Projection Line weight in object style....So technically it is possible if one applies the surface pattern as an Override (ex: using View Filter) ... + add to a view template should it be applicable to more than one view... 

Downside would be that pattern overrides will be limited to Drafting Patterns ...

Surface Pattern Line weight.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 59 of 68
JDA_Joe

I thought someone was suggesting a way to change the line weight of a hatch pattern, but I did not see that option. So there is no way to change the pattern of a projection surface or cut? If so, I'm disappointed. We're supposed to be in control, not the software. That is unfortunate because I have concrete framing over a concrete wall and I would simply like them to look the same. I want the projection surface to be very light, so I'm using Sand. The line weight of the wall makes it almost as dark as the cut pattern, which is makes the drawing hard to read.

The patterns are all mixed up:

See below. Cut floors have a lighter line weight than cut walls, but they should look the same; they are both cut concrete  Beam projection surface has a lighter line weight than wall projection, but they should look the same; they are both concrete projection surfaces.

JDA_Joe_0-1635019669461.png

Message 60 of 68
JDA_Joe

My solution for now is to forget about hatch patterns and go with grey solid fill. I think it reads well. See below

JDA_Joe_0-1635020758255.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report