Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL file import for sculpting edit?

173 REPLIES 173
SOLVED
Message 1 of 174
Anonymous
14515 Views, 173 Replies

STL file import for sculpting edit?

i have built a model in another design program and exported as stl, now i import stl into fusion,can i edit it using the sculpting workspace?

Capture.JPG

173 REPLIES 173
Message 41 of 174
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

please do so because on my end when i convert it looks like it only does the shoulder area but not even a good conversion, also it does not let me do it by using the actual conversion process but by going into the model workspace and turning it into a component and then i can use the conversion option...

Message 42 of 174
Anonymous
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

thanks for trying but this video player sucks i have no control over pause as if i push stop/pause it just keeps playing
Message 43 of 174
Anonymous

i do want to know how you did that hole thru the model cuz i cant and i keep hearing to make the model into parts but if i cant cut a hole thru it never mind trying to cut a arm and legs off

Message 44 of 174
PhilProcarioJr

You import the obj into a new file, make sure you save the new file or it wont let you import. Then from the menu select Create Base Feature.

Untitled-1.jpg

Then right click on the mesh and select mesh to brep.

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Then you can either leave base feature mode if you want history or continue on. Select a face then start a sketch.

Untitled-4.jpg

Then push pull the shape.

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Hope this helps.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 45 of 174

This isn't going to really help you though because its not a water tight mesh so you end up with surfaces instead of solids...to fix this mesh in Fusion is a waste of time, you could do it a million times faster in another app like Blender and since the quads are all non planar they get converted into triangles which is really bad to work with in Fusion. So again your wasting a lot of time.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 46 of 174
Anonymous

thanks i did not know about the base feature " well i did not know it was a feature as im very dependent with common used tools and therefor i dont explore what else can help me do what, so that being said im not sure what is the point of Create Base Feature. but i see how you used it here, thanks
Message 47 of 174
Anonymous

ok phil i hear you and you might be right which is why i thought i wasted $400 on this old program i bought 3 years ago called NetFabb Private and i recall something about watertight and i guess it was for 3d printing ? well i used that soft as well as Instant Meshes which is how i got my model to be Quadface for Fusion
Message 48 of 174
Anonymous

that file you uploaded  is kinda small for a model that size , I found an im file online and I will see how fusion reacts to it before I post it up for you . 

Message 49 of 174
Anonymous

thanks,
Message 50 of 174
Anonymous

one more thing guys can someone address me how to clean up my tree? remodeling is crazy when i have this spine that has alot of parts and there all on the tree but not in one folder amed SPINE 

Capture.PNG

Message 51 of 174
Anonymous

OK that model i found would not work , here is a make human model that is in sculpt mode with the start mesh models . I hope this gives you an idea of how this program HANDLES imported mesh with lots of points . now this type of model once in can have edge lines manually thinned out . I have used t splines under rhino there are webinar for that product that help show you  how to use the software to make mostly jewelry but can be applied to anything . t-splines needs less points to make a smooth model then a mesh and that is the problem when pulling in mesh models to it . 

good luck with what your trying to do . 

i used win rar to make 4 volumes three posted here and one posted in next post 

Message 52 of 174
Anonymous

volume 4 

Message 53 of 174
PhilProcarioJr

@Anonymous

Watertight means that the mesh is a closed shape, a solid, no holes in it. In theory it got its name to help people understand, the mesh can hold water...no leaks. The term is MOSTLY found in rapid prototyping (3d Printing).

This is why programs like Topogun and blender come in handy, you can retopoligize say the Head and bring that model in and work on it. If you plan to use T-Splines the theory of less is more comes to mind. You don't want or need high poly count meshes to convert to T-Splines, except in a few rare cases. Honestly even a human head probably only needs 100 or so faces to make a very nice looking model as a T-Spline. Study information online about Sub-D modeling as the concepts and workings are almost identical. Keep in mind I'm just trying to help save you time and frustration. These poly heavy meshes are not a good starting point for a base model in CAD apps, maybe someday but not right now.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 54 of 174
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous for what particular purpose did you attach almost 16 Mb of data proken into 4 pices ?

If there is an upload limit of 4Mb then that si a rather obvious indication that you should not upload such large files.

To me  the humanoid mesh discussed in this thread does not look like it's  modeled. It would appear to come first from scanned data that with some sort of software than was automatically re-meshed. that why it has too many polygons and the topology is so terrible.

The level of detail in that model can be had with 1/4 of the polygons or even less ig the topology is better. Then it is also quite editable in Sculpt mode.

To get a humanoid mesh from MakeHuman into Fusion one only needs to load down MakeHuman as it is free software and then expport it as a .obj. that will allow you to observe in fact outstaning topology for a human mesh.

EESignature

Message 55 of 174
Anonymous

Was just to give then a demo of what an imported mesh into fusion will function like with there hardware .
Message 56 of 174
Anonymous

thanks for the tip
Message 57 of 174
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

your correct this is a 3D scan of a toy, and then brought into Instant Meshes for a Quad 

Capture.PNG

Message 58 of 174
Anonymous

np i understood your point , thanks tho
Message 59 of 174
Anonymous

has anyone looked at mudbox ? 

Message 60 of 174
Anonymous

I actually think im just about done with what  was looking to do so thanks ya'll for the support, i just wanted to out fit this robotic skeleton with the a flexible 3D printing plastic which is what i was going to print the human body with but before all that i wanted to do some boolean op on the human body with the robotic skeleton and remodel from the inside so i can ater assemble the Android and as you can see by the photo below i when thru diff iterations before i found the right body type. 

gf.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report