Did you mean: 

AUTOCAD in terminal server

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
12183 Views, 14 Replies

AUTOCAD in terminal server

Hello, we want to install on the server (Windows 2012) and use AUTOCAD with terminal server (15 simultaneous users).

1. Is it possible to use AutoCAD in terminal server?
2. What server configuration need ?, graphics cards?
3.- termnial really work well with AUTOCAD server, or the server can not with graphics?

Thank you!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

This will help you get started with basic info: notice the "special license" requirement https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Licens...

Then call a reseller in your region of the world to discuss the details http://www.autodesk.com/resellers/locate-a-reseller
Message 3 of 15
owen66

i'd be curious how well ACAD works as a thin client app...is there any lag? what are the practical limits on drawings size (complexity)?

"Aah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention...science has it all."
Message 4 of 15
pendean
in reply to: owen66

All the performance load is carried by the "server", your 'dumb' terminal/end user experience will depend only on that hardware.
Message 5 of 15
owen66
in reply to: pendean

do you know anything about the "heartbeat" between your local installation and the license server? seems that this can rear its head over long distances.

"Aah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention...science has it all."
Message 6 of 15
TravisNave

Keep in mind when deciding on using a thin client, as Dean pointed out, that to stay complaint with the terms of the Licensing, you must use a Citrix XenApp with your network licensing.  Using Autodesk products on a standard Server 2012 Terminal Services alone is a violation of the License Agreement. 

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: TravisNave

We would like to do this in our school computer lab. I have tried to follow the links in this forum, but none of them are working?

Could you please explain the license agreement violation? As an educational institute, Autodesk has granted an educational licence and I am trying to set this up so the students can start using AutoCAD in the computer lab. We run a "dumb" thin client environment with a pretty high spec server. I just need help in getting AutoCAD properly licensed on the server.

Message 8 of 15
TravisNave

Terminal services violates the license agreement because you are accessing the software remotely.  This is not allowed.  You must access your software locally or locally via a virtual machine such as Citrix. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

I suppose "Remotely" is a very broad term... It's a LAN (Local Area Network) but the connection is seen as "Remotely". The server is in the same classroom... We have enough licences for each student... So I don't quite understand the breach?

Message 10 of 15
TravisNave

If the software is not installed locally on the physical machine that is
being used or on a virtual machine used locally, then it is a violation of
the license agreement. Anything not local is remote, whether it be
Internet, WAN, LAN, AdHoc, etc.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Sorry - not arguing, just saying it is a bit weird. Cause if I have the same server running 14 virtual machines it is allowed, but 14 users connecting to the same server is not? Bit contradictory... But I get it that it has to do with the number of AutoCAD instances running at once. One instance per user, which cannot be done on a terminal server.

Could I maybe just ask how the Citrix solution work? Is this also a local installation or is it only cloud based?

Message 12 of 15
owen66

It's a fool that looks for logic in Autodesk pricing.

Simply ask yourself what's the best way to get the most money from everyone forever while not really having to add anything of new value year after year. (I don't mean to be snide, perhaps smooth circles while zooming is valuable to someone)

At this point, AutoCAD should be open-sourced and Autodesk can focus on their new products in the BIM and reality capture worlds.

Message 13 of 15
DRW_CAD

@TravisNave Am I correct in understanding that this is no longer in violation of the license agreement as long as you're using single user license? 

Message 14 of 15
TravisNave
in reply to: DRW_CAD

Correct.  Virtualization is supported now so long as you are using named user (or are still on nw seats.)

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 15
DRW_CAD

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report