Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Enhancement - Create PDF as PDF/A

PDF Enhancement - Create PDF as PDF/A

I want the ability for Vault to create PDF's as PDF/A format where editing can not be performed, layers can not be hidden, etc.

11 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

@ThomasRambach, can you explain why this is important? What problem are you trying to solve?

ThomasRambach
Advisor

@ihayesjr it prevents the ability from anyone modifying a released drawing. Several government regulations also require it. 

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@ThomasRambach A user with the Adobe Acrobat Pro can still edit the document (PDF). Is this a false sense of security?

ThomasRambach
Advisor

@ihayesjr good point

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Anonymous
Not applicable

The whole user community globally requires this functionality:

Here is my company policy in line with the Global community:

SA Power Networks are required to hold ALL network design drawings for the life of the asset + 7 years.

Historically Network Records have stored these drawings in hard copy format in an off-site storage facility. Since 2017 Network Records ceased hard copy storage and hence we are required to store electronic versions of these files. Currently we store standard PDF & TIFF. It is our objective to cease the capture of the standard PDF & TIFF file and move to the archiving standard only of PDF/A.

On September 28, 2005, ISO announced PDF/A-1 as the global electronic archiving standard for long-term preservation. (ISO 19005-1:2005 DM e-file for long-term access)

The PDF/A-1 standard identifies with PDF (v1.4 or later) and provides a ‘profile’ that ensures reproducibly in years to come.

The key element to this standard is the 100% self containment factor.

PDF/A file is not permitted to be reliant on information from external sources.”

SA Power Networks are required to hold ALL network design drawings for the life of the asset + 7 years.

Historically Network Records have stored these drawings in hard copy format in an off-site storage facility. Since 2017 Network Records ceased hard copy storage and hence we are required to store electronic versions of these files. Currently we store standard PDF & TIFF. It is our objective to cease the capture of the standard PDF & TIFF file and move to the archiving standard only of PDF/A.

On September 28, 2005, ISO announced PDF/A-1 as the global electronic archiving standard for long-term preservation. (ISO 19005-1:2005 DM e-file for long-term access)

The PDF/A-1 standard identifies with PDF (v1.4 or later) and provides a ‘profile’ that ensures reproducibly in years to come.

The key element to this standard is the 100% self containment factor.

PDF/A file is not permitted to be reliant on information from external sources.”

Can we please have this included in 2018 - 2020 products as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Jim Williams

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

freesbee
Collaborator

exporting PDFs is anyway done via inventor pdfTranslator.
There are already more than 260 votes on ideas requesting some improvement in that area. I would recommend to cast votes also to those ideas (I voted all of them, not just these two):

Andrew.Shaw
Autodesk Support

Another standard to consider would be PDF/E as it's a format for the creation of documents used in construction and manufacturing workflows.

freesbee
Collaborator

Thank you Andrew, I have linked this idea to the one mentioned above (flatten layers) so that the PDF/A & PDF/E features won't be forgotten in case any of the other 2D PDF related ideas comes into discussion

Anonymous
Not applicable
The PDF/E would be great to have as well

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report