Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Translator flatten layers functionality

PDF Translator flatten layers functionality

I would like that Inventor PDF Translator could flatten layers on exported PDFs (the DWGTranslator already offers this possibility).

this feature currently missingthis feature currently missing

PDF documents are often used as neutral archiving format for multiple reasons. One reason is that they can be lean, efficient and indexed for searches. Even if in the DTP industry PDF layers are leveraged for different scopes, in 99,5% of cases in the Manufacturing industry they are totally ignored. Therefore it should be possible to flatten layers to reduce document size, keep PDF slimmer and better usable.
Since a high number of votes on the PDF Translator could motivate Autodesk in triggering a "PDF translator restyling action", other PDF related ideas are listed here:

15 Comments

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

PLease clarify what "Flatten Layers" would do exactly. Maybe there is a language difference. Would "Merge Layers" be more accurate?

freesbee
Collaborator

@Josh_Hunt 

"Please clarify what "Flatten Layers" would do exactly. Maybe there is a language difference. Would "Merge Layers" be more accurate?"

...maybe.

In Photoshop you can merge two or more layers together, assuming that they are selected. If only one layer is selected you can "merge it down", meaning that it will be merged with the one immediately underneath. On the other hand, if you want to trigger one single command that in one shot merges all layers together, disregarding if they are visible or selected, that command is called "flatten image".

Being in Inventor the concept of "image" probably not really adequate, I imagined that the equivalent command or parameter could be called "flatten layers". We shall also not forget that Photoshop layers and Inventor layers are not exactly the same kind of object: they just have many similarities.

Nevertheless I was tired after a 12 hours flight and bored for 3 hours waiting time when I wrote this idea, so I did not consider all possible options. And after all I am not native speaker, so in principle I am interested in having the option, and for me it will be fine 🙂

photoshop01.pngphotoshop02.png

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

@freesbee That is what I thought you meant. I think the best wording would be "merge to single layer". This feature may be dependant if the PDF translator (which may be 3rd party to Autodesk) supports this at all.

I don't know how to test how much this would decrease file size but I doubt it would be significant. I do know the 'amount' of geometry in an AutoCAD DWG  is what significantly affects file size.

freesbee
Collaborator

...apparently this is the idea on 2D pdfTranslator facelift with the highest vote count at the moment (78). It makes sense to link here another idea, to remember the PDF/A and PDF/E requirement if one day a 2D pdfTranslator facelift should come into some discussion:

Pity that I cannot edit the original post...

davis.j
Advocate

This implementation would be very helpful. Some people use Inventor to make Manuals/SOP's/Documentation within the Drawing environment to pull model data and balloon, dimensions, Parts list, etc. In these PDF there are alot more shaded views. For typical engineering drawings there is usually around than 1-10 pages per Drawing so the file size is easy to manage and usually none or less shaded views.

But when you combine multiple pdfs to a master manual or document you end up with 50-400 pages in one PDF. The file size is way to big and the reason is all of the vector line data. Some people simply take screenshots of their models and then balloon and part list manually in another app such as InDesign or Word. This allows for a much smaller file size as most everything is rasterized or flattened. But it is extra work and quite annoying. Why do this when you can pull everything directly from the DWG PDF?

The ability to change the vector dpi in the pdf export is good to protect IP but it would be helpful to add then flatten button to make lightweight multi sheet pdfs. This would also protect IP even more so.

If you want smaller PDF file size you must always uncheck show tangent edges in the drawing views.

In some PDF Pro editors you can optimize or reduce file size. It helps but it does no treatment to the vector line data (Which in my opinion is the culprit for big file size.) Most of what this doing is looking at the shaded png/jpg and compressing it (This helps, but not enough.)

41 page pdf that is flattened is about 5.5MB vs the same one that has all of the vector line data that is around 13MB

This is just an example but it can vary greatly.

CStilesCARE
Advocate

I'm looking for Autodesk to add an option in their PDF translator to leave out all layer data when converting to PDF. Is that the same thing as what OP was asking for? As of 2022, it doesn't look like Inventor has this option yet (though AutoCAD has had it for a while)...

When I open a PDF of a drawing exported from Inventor, I always see a bunch of layers listed (like "Visible (ANSI)", "Hidden (ANSI)", etc. - the same as the layers in the IDW file) and there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent Inventor from including them (other than "printing" to PDF using 3rd-party software). I want the "layers" section to be empty. Not "merged to a single layer" that still shows up as a layer, but no layer information at all.

Not sure how AutoCAD deals with leaving out layer information, but could it be added to Inventor in a similar way?

CStilesCARE_0-1655921780985.png 

CStilesCARE_1-1655922086748.png

CStilesCARE_2-1655922384502.png

davis.j
Advocate

With Adobe Pro I just flatten the layers. It still keeps the vector data, just puts it all on one layer. Would be nice if Inventor would have a preference for this though the translator. 😁

2022-06-22_13-36-06.png

CStilesCARE
Advocate

@davis.j 

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for, as an option built into the Inventor PDF translator. So that is what 'flattening' layers means.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet convinced my manager that PDF editing software is worth the money yet (though I think I'm getting close).

I'm adding my vote to this idea then. Hopefully others will too and Autodesk can put it into an upcoming patch!

freesbee
Collaborator

Dear @CStilesCARE ,

dear @davis.j ,

This is exactly what this idea is about.

I can confirm you that Autodesk still did not initiate an action on this specific topic, even if the development is aware of this idea. This idea is somehow picking in an area where other related ideas (see the original post) are also scoring reasonable votes. All together they are around 300 votes, but an action will be taken as soon as at least one of them reaches their attention, which is in most cases ~120 votes. So if you care of this feature, and you wish that also other "PDF-Related ideas" get considered, vote up and promote this, and the related ideas.

davis.j
Advocate

"but an action will be taken as soon as at least one of them reaches their attention, which is in most cases ~120 votes."

Watch the Autodesk Devs see this and they up the consideration threshold to 500votes...  😜

freesbee
Collaborator

...sorry, it's late here and I have expressed myself wrongly: at 120 votes they will at least start discussing it internally. At the moment this idea is just on the table of the PM, but still not brought up to the team.

This does not mean that they will deliver anything by 120 votes: some ideas are delivered with 7 votes (it has just happened on Inventor 2023.1) and some other are not delivered with 500+ votes. This depends on the "developing cost" of the idea: the never-ending negotiation between PMs and developers is exactly this perverse game where features are selected and prioritized.

Somehow at Autodesk they have the feeling that "everything will be paperless soon". I honestly do not entirely agree with this, therefore I have written this idea a few years ago.

If the company has internal manufacturing, then "paperless" is for sure a doable way. If the company relies on sub suppliers, then the "2D drawing" becomes a "legally binding document" that defines the supply. That is one reason, why a "pdf2D facelift" (or "botox injection" if you prefer) would be so much appreciated.

david.wartaJA24W
Advocate

Hope to get this option soon, otherwise we need to get adobe standard or pro to be able to edit the pdf.

CStilesCARE
Advocate

@david.wartaJA24W 

For the most part, I've resigned myself to installing a free PDF printer (PDFCreator in our case) to print to when creating PDFs. It's not ideal by any means, since it doesn't retain text as searchable or anything (maybe there's a better free PDF printer out there?), but it removes the layer info at least. Most of my PDFs are drawings, so searchable text isn't critically important for me at this time.

I haven't convinced my bosses to invest fully PDF editing software yet, but they did pull out an old copy of Adobe Acrobat XI for me to use, which has still been very helpful. I highly recommend having SOME sort of PDF editing software. In my opinion it should be a mandatory tool for anyone who has to work with PDF files on even a semi-regular basis.

Foxit might be a decent alternative if you don't want to pay as much (that's what my company was looking into and what I may end up getting).

The ability to add/remove/replace/reorder pages easily, and also add/edit/remove transient text and such (like project/order/tracking #'s) to copies of originals without having to re-author the original document is just SO useful and time-saving if you work with PDFs even occasionally.

freesbee
Collaborator

@david.wartaJA24W 

this specific idea goes together with some other ideas listed in the initial message. Probably casting votes to all of them will shorten the time for having a reaction from Autodesk (I cannot promise, but it may help)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report