Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email all users

Email all users

It would be nice to have a feature where the Vault admin could send emails from Vault, to all current users in Vault.

Additionally, an enhancement to that could be the ability to send separate emails to groups.

Main reason for the feature would be for things like notifying the users of a pending change or Vault server reboot.

23 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for posting the Idea. If you use the Windows Active Directory integration and import groups, you can use your email client with AD integration to email out to the Vault users. Have you tried this?

Curtis_Bussey
Contributor

That would require me to look in Vault and get the long list of names, and then create an email group in Exchange. Then would require a constant update of the group when someone was added to Vault. Since our Vault users are controlled through ACL groups, there's no way for me to know when a new person is added.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

If you have an Active Directory group with the Vault users in it, you can set the email for that group. When you need to add a new user, add them to the Active Directory group and they will automatically get added to Vault with a new user account during their first attempt to log into Vault. You don't have to do anything after that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am more interrested in a message system sending a pop up message to all user using vault at the moment. 

Curtis_Bussey
Contributor

ihayesjr,

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@Curtis_Bussey The Active Directory integration has always allowed a new user to log into Vault after they were added to AD group. It has never been necessary for you to manually update the AD group in Vault. If the user attempted to log into Vault with the Windows Authentication option, Vault automatically looks them up in AD and adds them to Vault with the Groups permissions.

The link to the Idea you posted is about adding an option to automatically updating the Vault AD group without the administrator performing it manually.

Curtis_Bussey
Contributor

@ihayesjr   The idea that I linked to was created for the exact issue I'm describing, if you look at what @Anonymous  posted, he states exactly that. If the automatic sync (when a new user logs into Vault) has been working, why would there need to be a manual sync process to begin with? For us, this is a manual process, and I have received a lot of emails from new users after being told they should have access (via Windows Authentication option), but do not. On the original email issue, there's no method available to a Vault admins, to email any user/group from Vault. The admin has to maintain a list in their email software, and manually update it. If you have a step by step procedure of the suggestion you posted earlier, it would be very helpful if you could share it. Thank you for your replies...I'm not trying to be argumentative, there's just some things that you are saying that are not the same as I see on my end.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Curtis_Bussey is correct, we have not had success with this and we have had to go back into Vault regularly to pull any any changes or modifications to any AD groups we have in Vault (Vault 2016 Pro).  We are current;y upgrading to Vault 2019, and have not verified if the behavior is different now.    

Anonymous
Not applicable

We never had any of the issues mentioned above. IT adds the user to a predefined AD group and after one hour that person can login Vault. I never had to do any manual actions as a Vault admin when a new user is added to any the vault user groups.

I do have to manually switch the Vault user to 'off' when this users isn't in the AD group anymore. (left the company or another role at Parker) It would be better if there is an option available to check if the current Vault users are still members of their AD groups or not. If not, I, as a vault admin, should be able to set them all in one click to 'off'

ihayesjr
Community Manager

Maarten describes what I was talking about. We have not made any changes to the Windows Authentication between 2016 to the latest release (2019). As far as the email, if your Active Directory group has an email address, you only have to know that group name. All Vault users can be in that group and will get the email.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ihayesjr - is there a time period that we need to wait to see those changes pulled in?  Maybe that's what we aren't expecting to see - I assumed that when the users are added to an AD group, then we should see them immediately.  If there is some sort of soak period then perhaps we can deal with that.  However, we do know that users aren't turned off or otherwise disabled when they leave the group, that was the real issue that I was trying to rectify by my particular request.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Login as the new user and in the command prompt enter 

gpupdate

This will refresh the AD settings of the user.

Or wait till the user restarts its windows machine 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous - I wished we could, but we are not Windows AD admins nor do we have access to a users machine via their account.  That is the rub for us - we can create customization and we administer vault, but we are not AD admins or system admins (we can do the work, knowledge isn't the issue - enterprise segmentation and silos are).  So, if the issue for syncronization is that we have to wait for a group policy update and/or a reboot then that isn't a good solution for us.  We have users who don't reboot but once a week.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@Anonymous we have hijacked this idea talking about the synchronization idea:)

I agree that having Vault automatically synchronize with AD is a great idea to implement for multiple reasons including your scenario. Although, you will still have a time period to wait between times of synchronizations. It wouldn't be a live connection between Vault and AD. Since AD groups don't change that frequently, you wouldn't want the synchronization to happen frequently. So you will still have a wait time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ihayesjr : Understood, sorry.  @Curtis_Bussey and I work for a large utility company, and due to regulatory stuff, our AD groups and our Exchange servers don't have the correct linkages to support emails from groups like you describe.  We can't just type an AD group name into Outlook and send emails because our Exchange doesn't recognize that group.  We would have to create those groups as mailing lists ourselves, which would be tedious at best, and would require synchronization.  Since Vault does have email capabilities, and knows which users are in what groups, it would be great if Vault could just send the emails via a button poke and a dialog, per this particular idea.  Hence my endorsement of the idea

loic_guilloux_GE
Enthusiast

Nice Idea for the pop up message .... In the same way, would be great also to use this function to send an e-mail based on the groups defined in the software...

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

m.veldkamp
Explorer

I'd like this too. 

v.dobreaA3C4X
Advocate

Hi all ...  maybe we can ask @Markus.Koechl if this option can be added to Vault-Thunderdome. 

Or maybe we can send custom mesages to all user trough Thunderdome interface.

Markus.Koechl
Autodesk

Hi @v.dobreaA3C4X, thank you for promoting Thunderdome. Please be aware that the scope of Thunderdome has been the deployment of settings like custom views, saved searches, and so on. Vault 2024 synchronizes Inventor templates, and design data, and deploys Vault Views, Searches, and Shortcuts (Update 2). So, Thunderdome is about losing its relevance and I don't plan to add new features to it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report