Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Range for Elevation and Sections

View Range for Elevation and Sections

Now we have Depth Cueing, this is a great tool, but it make your views to print in raster.

I Would like to have some kind of View Range with 3 or 5 zones that behave like View Depth (with and editable line category that orverride all elements in it's range, like <Beyond> line style do. And also, we have the option to adjust the distance and depth of all these zones with a interface similar to View Range.

These zones could be called Depth Plane 1, Depth Plane 2, etc.. for example, maybe there is a lot of better naming options.
16 Comments
samuelsanf
Advisor
Like we do in AutoCAD or Technical hand-drawing. The goal is to change line weitgh/style at defined depths planes and maintaing vector graphics while printing/exporting.
craigh_bim
Advocate

Agreed.

But the controls have to be graphical (visual grips) like splitting a section. Not a dialogue box.

ChrisGamble
Collaborator

I myself, like most new Revit users, have trouble controlling and understanding view range. My idea is for there to be the option to visually see an editable representation of the view range in a section or elevation. When going to edit the view range, Revit would then ask you which level view range you would like to edit. Then it would prompt you to view it in elevation, and then which elevation. Then the view would change to the selected elevation, and you see a visual representation of the view range for that selected level, and you'd be able to simply drag the reference line to set the view range the same as you can drag levels.

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor
In the meantime, I use the "Orient to View" feature to create 3d views that show my basic extents. Great for troubleshooting why your view range is correct or not and why things are showing or not. I usually create an AXO view for each level, based on my plan view ranges. Also great for troubleshooting sections and elevations. Wish it would work with reflected ceiling plans. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Revi...
ChrisGamble
Collaborator

Ill have to look into that, I don't think I've ever used those features.

ArqRobertoDraft
Contributor

I couldn't be more agreed with that. 

Ahmed_Muharram
Advisor

could you make view range appear in Elevation and section same as sections in plans it would be much easier to adjust and make sure to get the needed results 

Check out attached picture

Ahmed_Muharram_0-1694926616168.png

Ahmed_Muharram_1-1694926753986.png

Tags (1)
Mike.FORM
Collaborator

This makes no sense. The only way for this to actually work the way plans are is for Sections to be associated with a grid line so there is some reference to use to associate the depths.

If this was the case how would you be able to cut a section that is not parallel to a grid?

They way it is set now is definitely the best way to deal with the dozens of different situations and instances of sections that arise in a project.

MichaelWolff
Advisor

I think the request is to give plan views some sort of graphical representation towards their viewing ranges similar to sections. They are after all horizontal sections. To test the waters I have just made a section in another section looking down and found that it did not cut where I put it but a bit below the section line. I had a flight of stairs that I intended to section/cut in half and it does not:

20230919 132455-Autodesk Revit 2023.1 - [Projekt1 - Detailansicht_ Detail 1].png20230919 132420-Autodesk Revit 2023.1 - [Projekt1 - Schnitt_ E1-1].png20230919 132355-Autodesk Revit 2023.1 - [Projekt1 - Detailansicht_ Detail 0].png

Maybe this is a bug in R2023.1?

Mike.FORM
Collaborator

Ohh that makes more sense. I definitely misread that being the other way around.

Still I don't think this is necessary as you can already cut a horizontal section in an elevation or section.

Also, plan views are usually parent views so having the cut show up in a child view would be strange and circular.

Ahmed_Muharram
Advisor

Thanks for your comments, maybe I didn't explain my idea well.

What I meant is when I select the level i am able to see the view range visually such as the explanation when we are changing the offsets in the view range option.

Ahmed_Muharram_0-1695196484760.png

It could be simplified and adjusted to be more easier to handle

Mike.FORM
Collaborator

What would happen if you have multiple plans associated with the same level.

Architectural Plans, Finish Plan, Furniture Plan, would it change the view range for all of them or just one? How would it know which one? Would it be the first plan created from that level? What if the first plan you created was changed to the finish plan but you think it is still the main architectural plan?

I honestly do not think this is possible without a major overhaul of how plans work.

Ahmed_Muharram
Advisor

I think it's easy to solve this by adding a parameter which plan is used now for this case 

dealing with graphics and shape handles is much easier than dealing with numbers specially in complex projects 

mbalkey
Contributor

@Mike.FORM As I understand it, the level line always and only refers back to the first plan created associated with that level, regardless of the plan type or what it has been renamed as.  I would love to be able to select any plan associated to that level and assign it as the primary, but that's an item for a different idea.

woodyZXT6P
Community Visitor

Make the view range visible and editable in elevations and sections.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report