Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depth Cueing

Depth Cueing

This is an admirable development in Revit, however I do feel that it is of more value to designers, who need to come up with views that are pleasing to the eye. On the production side, however, I would prefer crystal-clarity over the current greyish fuzziness. Instead of varying shades of grey, can I put in a case for varying lineweights to indicate depth?

16 Comments
pieter5
Advisor

How would a wall that curves back work? Should it taper the lineweight? I'm not sure you can do that with vectors.

mfenton3
Explorer

The new depth cueing function looks great, however this doesn't quite suit our firms' drawing style.

To be able to change lineweights according to depth instead would be an excellent addition. We spend a lot of time overriding individual objects' lineweights in order to achieve this effect.

Maybe you could say that the lineweights of objects at X distance from the 'camera' should be displayed at a certain % of their assigned lineweight.   

vritsmit
Contributor

Agree

johnwehby_LAS
Explorer

Agreed. The fact that using depth cueing in a view forces that view to print Raster makes the feature unusable in Construction Documents.

susana.duarte
Advocate

Please don't lose the existing depth cue style but do create this other option, specially because of the raster option for black and white drawings like @johnwehby_LAS said.

jason_casto
Explorer

I think it would be appropriate to create a setting similar to that of Depth Cueing, except instead of making the lines lighter grayscale the further back in the model (in elevation drawings) the setting would make the line weights lighter the further the element is back. This will help greatly with print quality in the office and on the job site whereas printers don't always work well with grayscale lines. 

Thanks

Tags (3)
akesh
Enthusiast

The Depth Cueing function is amazing, as it allows depth to sections and elevations.

What would be an added bonus is if an extra set of functions was added to this tool.  This extra function being something like a "Line Weight Fade" option.  This will allow the ability for Revit to adjust the line weight of the projection fade lines to get thinner as the depth of the view gets further away, instead of maintaining the same line weight but just fading the line weights down to nothing.

This could be an option which may be activated or deactivated under the Depth Cueing setting, giving users the option of how to Depth Cue - by the current setting or by "Line Weight Fade".

• If activated - the line weight fade method takes preference.
  • If deactivated - the current default method of fade takes preference.

A further option to enhance on this would be to add a function to allow the assigning of a line weight you prefer to be faded down to and perhaps even to fade down those line weights as well.

In our method of producing drawings, we have always thinned down the line weight of elevational elements as they get further away and I feel this could be, although a small added function, a very useful one indeed.  The good thing about it is that it can be an optional function controlled by a checkbox under the Depth Cueing setting, so the user can decide whether they would or would not prefer to use it.

Tags (3)
alan_eu
Collaborator

Normally we represent sections and elevations views with different lineweight, decreasing it as objects get further away. Actually we can see it only with the cut or projection lines and I have to use OVERRIDE GRAPHICS IN VIEW to adjust one by one.

Something like the Depth Cueing function for fade out the black lines (on Graphics Display Options) but for lineweight.

Tags (4)
Anthony36JNP
Explorer
YES!!! Please, please add this. This would be HUGE!
alan_eu
Collaborator
Para quem vem aqui em português... Nós temos o costume de modificar a espessura na medida que o objeto se distancia da vista (cortes e elevações). Foi lançado em uma versão mais recente o Depth Cueing para esmaecer e o objeto ir ficando mais claro até sumir, mas no Brasil nós fazemos isso com a espessura da linha. É algo que eu sempre quis ver desde 2005 quando comecei com o Revit, mas só existem opções manuais...
king.tangC2L5F
Observer

I guess after 2 years there is not good solution for that ?

Even with Grasshopper plug-in ?

samuelsanf
Advisor

@pieter5 , I think revit should implement variable thickness lines also (like AutoCAD does), that whould work great for wall non perpendicular/parallel to the view... in curved walls the "line weight reduction" would not match exactly (with the same mathematical function), but if the if do it like other straigth walls not perpendicular/parallel to the view, would be OK.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report