Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Filters based on RVT Links

View Filters based on RVT Links

Add the ability to filter elements based on the Revit link file that they are located in. For example, this could be used to filter out any levels or grid lines from linked models. This can currently be achieved by editing view properties for Revit links, but this needs to be done for each link, which can be time consuming for large projects and needs to be maintained as new models are added to the project, while the ability to filter would be applied universally.

7 Comments
Marc_F_Page
Observer

I totally agree with this and I feel this pain.

We are currently working on a large project and we had to keep breaking our model in pieces and linking other ones. We have hundreds of sheets with multiple hundreds of view (if not thousands) and I ended up spending a lot of time doing this. It's nice when you have a view template and you do the change in it but a lot of time we assign a view template then remove it to tweak it to our needs. These are the views you have to manually go in and fix the Grid Lines and Levels.     

justin_rygel
Explorer

The project I am currently working on is a large multi-structure site that has over 100 linked files (and growing), mostly separated out by discipline and structure. Agree that view templates are the best path for now, but being able to use link status in filters would simplify the view templates quite a bit.

jimmi.opperud
Contributor

I agree, and want to filter tings based on the link regulary. 

I remember lines and reference planes from an architecture model were handy, but structure also had a lot of reference planes in the way. 

On a note about grids and levels, I don't find them too hard to filter. 

Some suggestions:

-Give your families a unique name and filter by (Does not equal) to only show yours.

-Filter grids by name. Say you have 2 buildings A1,A2..  B1,B2.. ,then filter by (Does not begin with). If you have running numbers, then filter by (Is greater than)+(Is less than)

justin_rygel
Explorer

Yes, all of those things would help, and we have done some of them for some projects, but for the situation I am currently working on, where I have a very large team, all of those solutions require that all team members have a similar level of sophistication and diligence with respect to their Revit modeling practices. It is rarely the case that this can be said uniformly across a team of hundreds of people working in 100+ linked models and management of the model 'hygeine' becomes just another task that (for many cases) filtering by links would remove.

lionel.kai
Advisor

One example we (structural) come across is wanting to turn off the architect's CMU grout lines (to only show ours, when there's a miss-match), but want to keep their other wall patterns (so we can't just turn off projection patterns for ALL their walls. If they are adding a company identifier to their Wall types ("XYZ 8" CMU Wall", etc.), I can use that to filter theirs (without catching ours), but that's not always the case.

One WORKAROUND I found for this was to add "Workset" as a condition to the filter. I rename our "Workset1" to include a company identifier ("KAI Workset1") to separate it from theirs (if they're still using the default), and then the filter becomes: "Type Name" <contains> "CMU" AND "Workset" <does not equal> "KAI Workset1"

Same can be applied to other situations, but it gets complicated if you have multiple links and want the filter to apply to only one of them (MEP, but not ARCH, etc.).

BTW, adding the link names & file info as filterable parameters would probably be the best solution (give us the most options), but just adding the "Filters" tab to those available under "RVT Links" would be better than nothing, if the developers find that easier to implement...

pieterdewaal
Advocate

We do not use any default workset naming & rather very short codes to represent services etc.

I would for example make a filter for Linked model piping only via the following criteria:

The filter criteria are AND type & set to "does not begin with" as we have service type prefixes.

FS = fire services workset grouping , ME = mechanical services grouping , WS = wet services grouping etc. We even rename the shared levels & grids to have a unique workset in order to hide others rather than trying to disable all annotations from each link every time...

pieterdewaal_0-1712837633969.png

Now I can change the colour & linetype for all linked pipes etc. This works on all other categories, provided your worksets are linked

Note: This will not work if someone has the same workset name, or if another consultant you know very well tries to troll you, but how likely is that... (very much. Engineers are funny people).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators