Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical Schedule Orientation

Vertical Schedule Orientation

Be able to toggle from a horizontal oriented schedule (elements in rows, parameters in columns) to a vertical schedule (Parameters in rows, elements in columns). Currently Revit only supports a horizontal schedule.

This would allow more flexibility for what can be fit on a sheet. Vertical schedules especially makes sense for scheduling a few elements that have many parameters you need to schedule. 

51 Comments
devonpowell
Advocate

For example, an air handling unit schedule with only a few units, but many parameters to define the unit. 

AHU Schedule.PNG

benroberts
Contributor

Yes please! We have exactly the same requirement for AHU's, fans, boilers, pumps, and a variety of other equipment. Currently we simply don't schedule these items within Revit and have to use our own Excel exporter.

Seems like a basic feature to me! Just flip the schedule vertical instead of horizontal. Thanks for suggesting 🙂

stevedav
Observer

Yes please!

mcharrette
Observer

Definitely NEED this feature!!! PLEASE

A lot of mechanical schedules are oriented vertically to fit on sheets because of the amount of parameters needed.

adrianas
Explorer

Definitely needed!

adbryson
Advocate

NEEDED!

You know its bad when an AHU schedule might not fit on a 30x42 sheet depending on what a certain title block looks like.

msartori
Explorer

I think it would be very very useful if Revit allows us to list the fields in a schedule vertically as well.

The horizontal format it is too restrictive.

ex:

Unit Area          0.00

Balcony Area     0.00

Total                 0.00

Rather than:

Unit Area      Balcony Area      Total

0.00                0.00              0.00

Thanks.

draynorQNHWR
Participant

This ranks in the needed column for me as well.  Large equipment with many parameters look ridiculous being broken up into 3 or for separate schedules just to get them to fit.  

rickscUJPTB
Explorer

I just listened to the "What's new in Revit 2019" webinar and checked the Revit Road Map.  I am really disappointed that schedule appearance and formatting is not mentioned on either.  Architects and engineers are generally very attentive to detail and appearance.  The lack of schedule formatting options gives us no alternative but to be chronically ashamed of our schedule sheets. 

Basically, the entire engineering world has been using spreadsheets to schedule equipment for decades.  If we use Revit's equipment schedules it makes that no longer possible.  Therefore, there is no excuse for Autodesk to not make basic spreadsheet functionality, in terms of function and formatting available in Revit.

Autodesk is missing a major opportunity to revolutionize the way equipment data is managed.

devonpowell
Advocate

This is the same idea as the below link, vote for both!

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/vertical-schedule-orientation/idi-p/7040737

devonpowell
Advocate

Here is a pretty typical thing we have to do to break up out schedules and make them fit. This is scheduling 3 electric boilers....2019-04-15 07_41_45-Window.png schedule 1 of 2. Anyone have better workarounds?

jespinoza
Community Visitor

We still use excel for ONLY this reason. I would really like to get away from that but not being able to format the schedules the way we want is unacceptable. For what a Revit subscription cost It's very disappointing that this basic feature has not been added yet.

Evan.S.Hall
Enthusiast

@devonpowell, that looks like a pretty good workaround. This limitation has made my company become more selective when deciding which columns remain in the schedule. For instance, almost all of our physical dimensions have gone away since we model these elements very closely to the actual equipment. Additionally, we've combined some fields and grouped under a common header like what's shown below. This can really buy a lot of space with temperatures (if you can use abbreviations like EWT, LWT, EAT, LAT). I think you could squeeze your schedule down to one without much sacrifice.

All that said, this is a silly limitation.

On a slightly different topic, how did you create the general notes and specific notes? Something like "Insert" a row below the title, and merge accordingly? Or did you use some other magic?

Capture.JPG

adbryson
Advocate

@Evan.S.Hallyou are correct on your notes assumption.  just insert a row or 2 under the title and then combine as needed to get the required number of columns.  Shift+Enter is your friend when getting the text to wrap as desired, and for each new note  😉

devonpowell
Advocate

@Evan.S.Hall  - Agreed, and especially for that boiler schedule we could squeeze it down to one. Other pieces of equipment like an Air source heat pump with heat recovery modules it becomes harder. But good point on using abbreviations, etc. to shrink it down. 

confirmed on the general and specific notes. 

nick.hill7VNXZ
Observer

Please add this feature!

Yet another design firm not using the built in "smart" schedules simply because we desire a different orientation.

hstaabprime
Advocate

Pretty please with sugar on top.

john.mckenna
Explorer

This seems like a pretty obvious feature that has been missed / ignored for Revit!  It would be of huge benefit to most companies who want to use Revit to create schedules.  Please add this as a matter of urgency for a future release! 😬

steven.steel
Contributor

This would make life so much easier, please added Autodesk.

dsanchezRB78L
Explorer

Absolutely necessary! Please do it now!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report