Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Unlock the default line types

Unlock the default line types

Modify the line styles to allow for renaming of system line style types in project and families to be consistent with Company standard nomenclature

1. Move Axis of Rotation of rotation to a system line type delineated
  2. Remove Hidden Lines ( is already an option)
  3. Remove "Insulation batting lines" Then allow fore delete or rename of:
  4. "Lines"
  5. "Medium Lines"
  6. "Thin Lines"
  7. "Wide Lines"

This would allow naming based on company standards. e.g. ncs_1 ncs_2 ncs_3 ncs1.hidden.red or whatever they user deems logical for their use.

31 Comments
WM_Ron_Allen
Collaborator

How many other people are bothered by 'clutter' in their drawings?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great suggestion Ron!

pieter1
Advisor

I don't get why this one did not got 100+ votes...! This must be the easiest suggestion to implement on this entire platform...

WM_Ron_Allen
Collaborator

Probably cuz this stuff gets buried fast- many folks don't want to take the time or don't have the time to fish through and find similar items.

One of the GREAT ideas at AU- they had programming folks go through and estimate how much time it would take to implement- and there was a "cost" associated with it. Lower costs were faster to implement, folks could then put their points to a particular item.

Hoping the AI here will get smarter and start to group and present more refined similar ideas.

This is achievable with a comprehensive idea I shared for overhauling the Revit Database and opening things up and accessing it live on the backend. See: https://goo.gl/dJhSjo short URL for this idea.

lionel.kai
Advisor

Most of the issue is that the OOTB naming convention is a bit of a mess. If it's truly a System linestyle, then it should be named as such "<...>" AND have a Tooltip (or some kind of comment) that states EXACTLY what it's used for. Everything else (without the "<...>" brackets) should be delete-able/rename-able.

pieter1
Advisor

Amen

tyrels
Explorer

Just let me rename them! Please!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two years now and still relevant, spread this idea as much as you can to get traction...

WM_Ron_Allen
Collaborator

linetype_rename.png

pieter1
Advisor

What are we looking at @WM_Ron_Allen ? Is this a plugin or a screenshot of old UI? How did the alias work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe the alias collumn would be the renaming option to company standards Ron speak of.

WM_Ron_Allen
Collaborator

@pieter1 apologies, I meant to edit the message and just time ran out...

@Autodesk- if this took me 20 minutes to do this "mock up" in Photoshop- how difficult would it be to add an alias column that would override the pointer to the name field? You could even report the lines as "DEMO <Demolition>" for the reserved types... "AXIS <Axis of rotation>", etc. So long as the alias came first for regular sorting!

jeanmarc.couffin
Enthusiast

a little help on trying to gather some support šŸ˜œ 2 years + later

jmcouffin
Contributor

and from my other self...

Robot Mad

treyk
Autodesk

Hi Ron et al--

I'm on a Revit team that's looking at the issues having to do with default Line Style naming.  You posted this great thread about this several years ago, and it seems to still have traction.   You photoshopped the UI for an "Alias" column in the Line Styles dialog... very cool idea.  Have you had any other thoughts about this in the intervening years?  šŸ™‚

To start, I think we could consolidate all the default system line styles by putting the chevrons around ALL of them.  This would keep all the undeletable/uneditable line styles always grouped together.  I know this doesn't solve all the problems, but it would fix something that has always bothered a lot of people.  I know that a lot of customers would like to be able to edit/delete these system lines types, but that's definitely much more difficult.  That's why I do like your Alias idea.  By the way, I assume that you'd want to be able to sort the Alias column alpha-numerically?   In your mock-up it looks like the table would remain sorted by the Category column, which would probably frustrate customers.

I gather that when a line style gets an alias, then the category name is grayed out, per your mock-up.  Ribbon drop-downs would display the alias name, if it exists (or the category name if there is no alias).

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Thanks,

Trey

Trey Klein
Architect & Sr QA Analyst - Revit

trey.klein@autodesk.com

pieter1
Advisor

Hey Trey,

Great you guys are looking into this! Yes, having < > on all otb linestyles would be a good first step. 

If deleting/renaming is hard, I can live with an alias as a compromise. 

I don't think a lot of people will care about the sorting order of the linestyles manager (where you setup the linestyles) to be honest. But the sorting of the linestyle dropdown is crucial. Just like Ron suggested, that dropdown should sort by Alias.

I wouldn't even show the OTB name in the dropdown for linestyles that have an alias, so to not confuse people. We might re purpose some of the OTB linestyles, and I could see how it would become confusing if the alias and OTB name were telling a different story. People that do want to include the OTB name next to the alias, can just manually include it in their alias.

pieter1
Advisor

It would be really nice if we could hide some of the linestyles from the dropdown as well. For me, these are irrelevant:

1. Hidden Lines ( is already an option)
  2. Insulation batting lines
  3. Evacuation path

Of course I could repurpose them using an alias, but it still might be confusing that I use insulation batting lines for waterproofing now... 

boyce.postma
Enthusiast

WHOA - 3 YEARS LATER we get a response from AD! Just wow. I mean, I guess we should be thankful that someone might actually be working on this very small, very simple fix, but we need more support that this. There are hundreds of other small fixes in this forum that would make the UX vastly better. You need backup! 

jeanmarc.couffin
Enthusiast
@Anonymous thanks for the well deserved sarcasm šŸ˜
pieter1
Advisor

I feel your energy would be better spend responding to @treyk  questions rather than directing your frustration to people who are actually trying to fix it šŸ˜‰

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators