Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Unlock the default line types

Unlock the default line types

Modify the line styles to allow for renaming of system line style types in project and families to be consistent with Company standard nomenclature

1. Move Axis of Rotation of rotation to a system line type delineated
  2. Remove Hidden Lines ( is already an option)
  3. Remove "Insulation batting lines" Then allow fore delete or rename of:
  4. "Lines"
  5. "Medium Lines"
  6. "Thin Lines"
  7. "Wide Lines"

This would allow naming based on company standards. e.g. ncs_1 ncs_2 ncs_3 ncs1.hidden.red or whatever they user deems logical for their use.

31 Comments
jmcouffin
Contributor
3 YEARS
boyce.postma
Enthusiast

@pieter4 

Fair enough, though "Actually trying to fix it" seems a little generous. I will believe it when I see it. Some acknowledgement by AD that this system for UX improvements is extremely frustrating would go a long ways. On to the questions posed by @treyk :

Chevrons are a start. Great.

Next allow deletion of all linetypes except a <0> default. It was written that it will be difficult. Okay. Fine. AD rakes in 2.75 billion annually. Find some staff to dedicate to some "difficult" problems.

Aliases seem like a bandaid that will just add another layer of naming conventions that are not necessary. Just fix the issue. 

jesseM225G
Contributor

I agree.  We are currently trying to move to Revit and set up our office standards.  The default line naming convention is pretty crazy and illogical.  Why do some lines have <> around them and some don't?  Thin lines, wide lines, Medium +1 and -1, all organised alphabetically?  Madness.  Not designed by someone who actually draws drawings.  Don't understand why we can't just rename or delete the line types.  I'm no programmer but surely renaming a field is not rocket science?

This seems to be symptomatic of a much larger problem with Revit which is that you're confronted with what seem like completely arbitrary restrictions at every turn, causing workaround after workaround which destroy the supposed efficiency of the software.  It seems that the developers have decided "oh no people won't want to do it that way so we'll make sure they can't".  All very frustrating.

jeanmarc.couffin
Advocate
I agree.  We are currently trying to move to Revit and set up our office standards.  The default line naming convention is pretty crazy and illogical.  Why do some lines have <> around them and some don't?  Thin lines, wide lines, Medium +1 and -1, all organised alphabetically?  Madness.  Not designed by someone who actually draws drawings.  Don't understand why we can't just rename or delete the line types.  I'm no programmer but surely renaming a field is not rocket science?

indeed... and 152 votes does not seem to be enough of "gathering support" idea

This seems to be symptomatic of a much larger problem with Revit which is that you're confronted with what seem like completely arbitrary restrictions at every turn, causing workaround after workaround which destroy the supposed efficiency of the software.  It seems that the developers have decided "oh no people won't want to do it that way so we'll make sure they can't".  All very frustrating.

It makes it also harder to argue with people that want to stay with cad whenever they see the amount of frustration Revit can produce on end users

jeanmarc.couffin
Advocate
WM_Ron_Allen
Collaborator

I was hoping Autodesk would start allowing for sorting of columns much the same way Microsoft's project explorer works- allowing for sorting by 1. Tree/sub component view, Alpha ascending, Alpha descending... any column could be used to sort this way (hierarchical sorting) to sort by the family/sub, Family+Sub or the Alias.

cuddyUCMTK
Contributor

It would be nice to get/see/hear an actual reason from the Autodesk team about why we simply MUST keep the system linetypes. If you absolutely must keep those lines none of us users use, then giving us an ALIAS column would be one way. But, if you're using the Alias idea, then who would ever create an alias for a linetype other than the system linetypes?

As for the sorting, more options for control would be helpful. I have Revit version 2022 thru 2016 on this computer. Sorting the Line Styles dialogue Categories would be okay. But sorting the dropdown of linetypes when drawing would be amazing. The line styles dialogue and linetypes dropdown currently sort alphanumerically and can't be rearranged. I would be nice, for example, in the dropdown to be able to group our company's hidden lines by lineweight, solid lines by lineweight, and so on. This can be achieved by using a naming convention to force it, but it would be nice to have the opportunity to sort them however we think would help us be more efficient (based on either lineweight, line pattern, name, etc). I would imagine a sorting parameter field would need to be added to the Line Styles dialogue window. In this way, an organization could maintain a line style naming convention they like while also arranging the linetypes in the dropdown to help us all be more efficient.

cuddyUCMTK
Contributor

And, yes, 'Clutter' drives many of us bonkers.

Maltezc
Advocate

Hi all, Although this doesn't quite solve your problem of renaming issue, I did create a plugin that does help with some easy clean-up / decluttering of Revit Line Types. 

The tool helps with view-specific or project-wide Line Type merges and deletion. 

You can find it here

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=261344364454788433&appLang=en&os=Win64

Hope this helps. 

I'd also love to hear some constructive feedback on how to improve the tool. 

Feel free to reach out to me at support@m3dida.com

WM_Ron_Allen
Collaborator

Ideate style manager is amazing for cleaning and managing this stuff. Still stuck with the system overrides. Being able to sort them manually is a nice touch @cuddyUCMTK . group or scale them from thinnest to largest or by whatever criteria is desired.  The System line types are bound into things like <BEYOND> and <ABOVE> and are used for line type overrides with the linework or detail/model line tools.  imagine Autodesk has to be getting closer at this point ; )

WM_Ron_Allen
Collaborator

@treyk  - Hopefully I responded to you direct two years ago, apologies if I didn't. I just saw this thread pop up again!

Seeing this gaining traction again. 

• Yes chevrons around <CORE> Name types works.
  • <Batting> doesn't make sense as we don't have complex linetypes. outside detail components.
  • The option to SHOW or HIDE <CORE>  if ALIAS  exists or only show ALIAS'd linetype

Assuming - are the <CORE> Linetypes are reserved forparametric/programmatic use? it would be great to be able to start from nothing but those required by the system. <AXIS> would be better as a picked model line or a hidden category until it is used... Lots of ways to simplify/clarify the interface.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report