Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TURN OFF VOIDS IN FAMILIES

TURN OFF VOIDS IN FAMILIES

For YEARS I have been wishing we could turn voids on and off via a visibility parameter in Revit Families. This would open up so many more possibilities for parametric families. As it stands, when I want to add a void to a family in some instances/types, I have to make a void floating outside of the family that only cuts the family when a distance parameter is adjusted so the void then overlaps with the geometry. This makes the family messy! Alternatively, I just make a new family, but with voids being able to be turned on / off, we could utilize the type parameters to a fuller extent, making more detailed families. 

... Also, please can we join voids... In general, the void capabilities need some improving. 

5 Comments
mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

Assign a Y/N parameter to the "Cuts Geometry" property.

wr.marshall
Advisor

Unless I'm experiencing a Mandela effect I'm sure they released this feature a few years ago whereby you could assign a y/n feature to a void cutting a family. Ie you could create an opening in a door panel for a window thereby eleminating a need for 2 seperate door familys where only difference was this window in the door panel.

Out of interest what version of Revit are you using. Trying to find year this was released. 

edit: This was introduced in Revit 2021. @hilary_romaniukHUJS5 are you using an earlier version to this ?

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@wr.marshall is correct. This functionality is available by associating a Yes/No parameter with the Cuts Geometry parameter of the Void.

kimberlyfuhrman_1-1692642095722.png

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Void doesn't cut the host

example: if you cut a panel door with a void, it works; but if you try to cut the host you are not able.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators