Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit's graphic displays and selections are horrendous and need to be addressed

Revit's graphic displays and selections are horrendous and need to be addressed

Trying to select elements and getting proper graphic displays in views is nightmarish. There are so many basic aspects of graphic display and selecting elements that are counter-intuitive and lacking in proper functionality  that it's practically aneurism inducing. The list is nearly endless, but here are just a few:

When aligning and locking walls, locks for these walls are not shown in all views. i.e. if I align and lock a wall in a foundation plan, the locks for the same walls are not shown in another plan. I have to go switch plan views just to show the locks that I want to adjust. 

When one element is selected, locks for several other elements are also displayed. There's no way to discern what locks are relevant to the element that is selected. It's highly likely to adjust locks for other elements that not intended to be adjusted. 

When hovering the cursor over an elements to be selected, Revit will ALWAYS highlight the least apparent element first. Even when an element is completely behind another element, Revit will highlight/select that element first. When hovering over a plan element, if there is an element above, Revit will always highlight/select the above element first. 

When dimensioning walls in plan, there are usually several elements associated to the wall, such as floors, 2 walls adjacent to each other, roofs, grids, etc. Revit will always select the wall - which is being cut in plan and the primary element being viewed - LAST. The tab key has to be used to tab through all other elements to select the wall to dimension to. 

When editing an in-place void-extrusion, often it's impossible to select the actual extrusion to modify it. Views have to be changed, and sometimes phases have to be changed just to be able to select the void. 

The tolerance for for cursor placement is so low and inaccurate, and terribly twitchy - when moving the cursor around a view, Revit will highlight multiple objects that are not even visible in the view - especially in 3D views. And when attempting to select a particular element that is visible, Revit will select every other element in the vicinity before selecting the most apparent element. The cursor placement varies and there is no consistency in views and elements as to which part of the cursor needs to be placed placed on - or - near the element trying to be selected. 

When an item its selected and a command is used to modify the element by using right-click, Revit will deselect the the element and select another element that is in close proximity. 

Revit's text function may be slightly better than the previous version, but it's still pathetic. One example of extreme frustration is when editing text, when copy/pasting a text, and then selecting all text to replace it, the cursor has to be located within the selected text. If the cursor is out of the bounds of the selected text, yet still within the text boundary, Revit will not input the text. 

It appalling that Revit has such poor and frustrating interface. ACAD's interface, by comparison, is very smoothly, seamless, and intuitive. Revit is atrocious. And what's even more appalling is that it's been like this forever, and the development team has made no effort towards improvement. This is another example that Revit is maintained and developed by people who do not have to reply on this software daily for their livelihood. 

Please put some significant effort into making Revit's user interface better for a more productive and less aggravating user experience. 

2 Comments
mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

It sounds like 50% of your issues can be solved by turning off "Select Elements by Face".

Revit's text could certainly use some improvement, but I'm not sure what the specific issue you listed here is. I've never noticed anything like that.

I see your last complaint somewhat frequently, and its almost ALWAYS from long time Autocad users. Again, there are of course improvements that could be made to the interface. But it is not "unintuitive", at least no more or less than Autocad. You just developed a workflow in one program and you're not allowing yourself to let go of it. Its like learning a new language. Finding and utilizing similarities is helpful in the beginning, but at some point you have to let that go if you want to become fluent. Just think of Revit as Revit and stop linking it back to Autocad.

mpukas
Collaborator

Hi mhiserZFHXS, 

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I've been using Revit daily since 2012, and hardly use ACAD at all, only when I get surveys from my surveyors. While I'm by no means a Revit whiz-kid, like ToanD for example, I'm very experienced and know well how Revit works. I only brought up the comparison to ACAD as example of how a program can have an amenable user interface. 

Revit's user interface is so frustrating it's mind-bogglingly. NOTHING is Revit is ever simple, easy or straightforward. And it starts with the basics of highlighting and selecting elements, and spirals downhill from there. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report