Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag All command - Ignore Shared/Nested Families

Tag All command - Ignore Shared/Nested Families

It would be FANTASTIC to have a check-box option in the "Tag All Not Tagged" menu to control whether shared/nested families are tagged as part of this procedure. There are many times with a few different family categories like doors and casework where we only want the main family to be tagged in a plan and not each nested component and having to manually tag each one can be time consuming. Have this function built into the Tag All command can save some serious time.

3 Comments
IAA-SCO
Explorer

It is 2022 and this "issue" is still not solved. In my project it is even worse! The tag all only tags the shared nested doorfamilies... It is terrible!

You can either:

1) Select all elements in that view and then filter by category (doors, for instance). And when you hit "Tag All", you choose the option "tag only selected objects in current view". Therefore, it will only tag the main family, not its nested elements, as they were not selected.

2) This is my go-to option. What I am doing at the moment is opening my families, then opening their nested elements that I don't want to be tagged (they are "shared" families), hitting "save as", saving them under a different name (I'm calling, for example, "X_DoorFrame_Symbol in Plan" and UNCHECKING the "shared" option.

Then I simply load this new nested family into the original family. By doing so, you should have two nested families now: the actual original one (shared - will be tagged), and the new one you just created (not shared - it won't be tagged). So now you simply select the original one (in the environment of the main / host family), go to their "visibility settings" at the top (in the Revit ribbon) and UNCHECK its visibility in "plan / front / back / left / right". (Revit doesn't tag families that are not visible in the current view, even if they are nested shared families). Now you should only see the new nested family in your views. In 3D you will still see both families, but since they're the same on top of each other, it doesn't matter. The new unshared family won't be quantified. You are only hidding the original nested element from plan view because you don't want it tagged, but you can still see it in your schedules. After you load the new nested family into the main family, make sure you associate all the parameters and lock to reference planes, leaving it the same way as the original nested family 🙂

IAA-SCO
Explorer

Sorry, but the second option is a terrible one! You definitly don't want double elements in your project!

The first one is a workaround that works but it needs much more mouse clicks then should be necessary. Autodesk should consider the option to outrule the nested families...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators