Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Integration with Excel

Revit Integration with Excel

We need a lot to have a full- direct integrated tool between Revit and excel,

which enable us to export an excel sheet from Revit , update the schedule and the exported parameter values in excel , import again in Revit , and by default all updated data that has been modified in excel , to be updated in Revit too after import.

70 Comments
tomAtSera
Advocate

For any firm after a certain point they see the value in bulk editing and manipulating data outside of a revit schedule.  Not to mention there is so much data that is available but not exposed to be scheduled.  Just look at the market for XLS export/import add ins.  

BIMLink from Ideate

CTC's Spreadsheet Link

CASE tools

I'm sure there are others.  

But, since you write the code you could go further.  I'm in the midst of re-configuring everything for our company and bringing it up to current standards.  And consistency is our main goal.  Renaming line patterns?  not possible without click, type, click one at a time.  

Bulk edit fill patterns? Nope

Bulk edit line styles? Nope, subcategory and barely exposed to api.  You can create them, sure.  Rename? 

tl;dr

Build in function to expose database to CSV/XLS export.  Open up the gates to everything.  Is it dangerous? Yeah, folks will do dumb things.  But you've always allowed us to explode DWG imports, so is this really any worse?  Will people love you for it? definitely. 

Tags (3)
cesare.caoduro
Enthusiast

Is it possible to allow the user to access to all parameter from schedules?

One of the biggest issue is related to levels and offset: sometime the level is called Reference Level, sometimes only level, sometimes we have the host and for electrical elements Schedule Level. Even with Dynamo is difficult to find a way to automate this task. Each family has different names, each family has how parameters.

It will be very useful to unify all the common parameter and give the possibility to access to both type and instance parameters from the schedule.

Finally I can't understand why after 10 years, still I've to buy a plugin to be able to export a schedule to Excel or I've to use Dynamo.

Thanks

Cesare

tauber42
Advocate

We're only given a .txt option when exporting schedules.  It would be great if we could at least get a CSV file option which removes a renaming step.

arek_keshishian
Advocate

With all the formatting and everything or you REALLY have to take schedules to the next level.

Tags (4)
Yien_Chao
Advisor

we asked this since long ago.... meanwhile, try to use google Flux, its the perfect bridge between Revit and Excel.

https://flux.io/

arek_keshishian
Advocate

Can Flux be used to import Excel tables seamlessly into our native Revit sheets?

Yien_Chao
Advisor
Yes. But you need to setup a dynamo graph.

Yien Chao
Architecte
dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

>> But you need to setup a dynamo graph.

That, and $60/month.

Yien_Chao
Advisor
you can have a free evaluation.
2 projects.

Yien Chao
Architecte
Intégrateur BIM
et photographe

514-880-8982
www.yienchao.com
SashKaz
Advocate

@arek_keshishian

I'd be curious about how seamless the transfer from Excel to Revit would be. Can you clarify what you mean by seamless? What are you trying to accomplish or bring from Excel to Revit?

When we were preparing Ideate Sticky for Revit 2017, due to the text changes, we had to be careful so that we could map the Excel fonts into Revit so that folks would not have issues with the Excel fonts and tables looking different from the Revit fonts. Here is a good blog post on the fonts. We wanted this to be as 'seamless' as possible: http://ideatesoftware.com/blog/revit-2017-text-size-changes

Sash

filipefrancisco
Collaborator

Yes good suggestion

schlueter
Advocate
rana.hamed
Advocate
Thanks Schlueter , I know that this feature can be done by a "Dynamo Package" and also can be done by "Ideate software" , but it will be much better if it is done done natively by Revit, without external resources.
phyllisr
Enthusiast

We love the Ideate solution and think it is hands-down Best in Class,  CTC also has a similar add-in.  In case you have not noticed, Autodesk rarely adds features to the platform that one of their partners has already solved with an add-in.  So it might be nice to have it integrated but I would bet the farm that it will never happen.  All the really cool stuff happening in the Revit space is not driven by Autodesk.

filipefrancisco
Collaborator

Needed

laurenk
Advocate
We condone implementing as part of the revit suite.

The addins suggested above are quite costly for small practice.
phyllisr
Enthusiast
This is an issue with Revit and not just add-ins. I agree but unfortunately, Autodesk is a publicly traded company with a very strong profit motive so I doubt that will change any time soon. The software is simply too costly and Autodesk is very close to a monopoly.
AnthonyBuckleyThorp
Community Visitor

Take a look at this Flux App which is specifically about scheduling to and from Revit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vADkkJqdxQk   The example uses Google Sheets but the process is exactly the same with Microsoft Excel

carlo.muffatoKS59R
Participant

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the only way to use our schedules in Excel to "do some math" is to export a txt file that excel not always is able to import? ( for example numbers are not seen as numbers but as text because of international differences of decimal separation).

IT would be so handy to link the results of a schedule to an excel sheet or just have a direct exportation button (no txt please! - just xls)

thanks,

Carlo

mgarciaTT
Contributor

That would be an awesome feature. Editing schedules in Revit is awful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report