Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2024 user interface too light

Revit 2024 user interface too light

The properties tab and project browser in Revit 2024 have lighter colour/ less contrast compared to Revit 2022 and therefore are much harder to read. See below screenshots. 2023-05-10_13-49-18.jpgCould this be please fixed. 

131 Comments
mhiserZFHXS
Advisor

Agree they went a little far with this, but have you tried dark mode? Very easy to see.

yana_vi
Participant

Being visually impaired myself, I can not agree more to this! Even in dark mode, greyed out text is still hard to read. Contrast should be enhanced again. Please Autodesk, I was so dissapointed when I saw this!

ks2_wmb
Advocate

In Revit 2024, the project browser text has less contrast against the background than in previous versions.  Please increase the contrast of the light theme to match the contrast in previous versions.

Revit 2024 on left, 2022 on right.

ks2_wmb_0-1683824678780.png

PatrickGSR94
Enthusiast

tried dark mode, and could not see which sketch tool was selected when drawing sketch lines for floors, roofs etc.  Not enough difference between the dark ribbon background and the dark selected sketch tool itself.

ks2_wmb
Advocate

To elaborate on the previous comment:

ks2_wmb_0-1683915409963.png

The "rectangle" setting is selected.  Can you tell?

PatrickGSR94
Enthusiast

barely.  It's not nearly as obvious as this.  Also I've always used the Dark setting that changes just the top menu bar and QAT.  Seems there's no way to do that now, which is unfortunate.

Screenshot 2023-05-12 132120.jpg

EvaHs
Explorer

It’s the overall graphics that make the 2024 UI less readable and intuitive. I noticed it immediately and keep discovering even more aspects, that bother me (not only lighter colours, less contrast, also the overall icon style on toolbars). The dark mode does not work for me either.

2023-05-12_20-50-42.jpg

PatrickGSR94
Enthusiast

@EvaHsoh wow yeah that's not a good change.  I work on dual 27" monitors running 2560x1440 each, but because of my sit-stand desk setup, the monitors are around 30 inches away from my eyes.  Less contrast is definitely NOT helping!

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

Well I'm going to be the devils advocate, I absolutely love the new interface so I guess there is always going to be some user debate over this but I do feel the 2024 interface has a more sophisticated look about it and it looks crisper than previous interfaces.

We do use  display monitors with a resolution of 3840x2160 and a text scaling of 350% so the text is ultra crisp at a nice to easy read scale. The display driver  in sue are RTX 2070 super,  which is a mid priced card?

I do agree that the tool selection/background is not obvious and that the new icon style is initially disorientating but go used to it. 

Tool  Bar screenshot

Screenshot 2023-05-18 100733.jpg

2024 Project Browser screenshot

Screenshot 2023-05-18 094509.jpg

My 60+ year old eyes are giving it the thumbs up.
Did anyone notice the new auto spell-checker when you do a search in the project browser?

tlagardeAJBTA
Enthusiast

Do they have a dedicated forum for the Dark Theme improvement ?

evan_grady
Enthusiast

I agree they need to add some form of a distinctive barrier around what you are selecting in the ribbon. I also would like to have the old properties pallet and project browser come back. Or if they want the out of the box Revit to look this way add additional flexibility to what we can change about UI within Revit.

mspillerBEU8F
Participant

I agree. I posted about this back in April after downloading 2024 for the first time thinking it was a glitch. There's just not enough contrast and it's a needless change. I dont understand why Autodesk are playing around with the visual appearance of icons/UI in revit when there so many improvements needed to the actual tools we use in revit or new tools.

joshpAZD9W
Contributor

@mspillerBEU8F

My thoughts exactly. The contrast is worse than before. I have no great feelings about the icons except to say I do not think they're any better. There must be other projects their designers could be used on. We need developers

Mark_Engwirda
Collaborator

I would have to admit the view control bar is pretty awful.

The temporary hide tool doesn't show whether it is active or not and it's quite small compared to the rest of the icons.

I've shown it a little larger with some yellow lenses to show it's active, yes have a laugh! 

On all of the others, I find that the teal colour is really distracting as my vision zeros in on the colour rather than the tool, so it makes the tool harder to find at a glance. Why not use a dark grey to show they are inactive?

View Control Bar.jpg

 I respect everyone will have their own views on this... 🙂 🕶 😎

MGreweDHW
Community Visitor
I went from having no problems reading the screen to fighting to be able and read the information because of the lack of contrast.
jeff_re_y
Explorer

I think Autodesk UI team needs to consider accessibility when adjusting interface color. In Revit 2024 the light theme is way too light, to a point that hampers productivity.

ks2_wmb
Advocate

The teal color in the lightbulb is intended to match the color for "selected objects" and "temporary dimensions" in dark mode in Revit 2024.  I think the teal lightbulb actually looks really good in dark mode.  This teal color is integrated into all new icons in 2024 for consistency.

However, note that the light blue color in the old icon set was intended to match the color of the "selected objects" and "temporary dimensions" colors of light mode.  This blue color for selections in the light theme has not changed in 2024 to match the new teal color of the user interface.

To the icon designers, please provide a separate icon set for the light theme which uses a light blue color to match the light theme's default selection color.

OEG_Andy
Community Visitor

The UI text contrast in 2024 is a clear example of form over accessibility/function. If not fixing this, please at least add a toggle to make the text have proper contrast.

peterQWRL6
Contributor

Change User Interface back to Revit 2023. I find the interface for 2024 (colors, icons, slider bar, text, etc.) difficult to read. At least give users the option of customizing interface.

ks2_wmb
Advocate

This is my new pet peeve with the 2024 icon set:

ks2_wmb_0-1690839290347.png

This was the old icon set in 2023 and earlier:

ks2_wmb_1-1690839464038.png

The new icon set takes longer for me to read (but I think it's clearer about the functionality of the tool).  Maybe thickening the blue centerline would help the new set of icons read better?  "Thin lines only" seems to be a design rule for the new icon set, but for these large buttons without fills, I would appreciate thicker lines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators