Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editable Reference Name for Links

Editable Reference Name for Links

I'd like to see functionality where the user can edit the "Link Name" to allow for sorting of links in the Manage Links and Visibility/Links dialogue boxes. This would work similar to AutoCAD where the user is able to edit an External Reference's "Reference Name" to be totally separate from the file's actual name while maintaining the file path.

5 Comments
Dunx
Explorer

Add an option to nickname linked files in the "Manage Links" window to simplify the organization and management of links in the project.

For example, I want to a column to the left of Link Name in the Manage Links window in which I can add a nickname so "2017_04_13-ProjectNumber-GreatEngineeringCo-ProjectName-detached.RVT" could be "Structural (Current)" so I can spot it faster and not have to expand the Link Name column to work out what it is.

Tags (2)
kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Hi, @michael.douglass ,

Here is a similar thread.

Nickname Linked Files - Autodesk Community

I would like to consolidate the two to boost both posts...does that work for you?

-Kimberly

michael.douglass
Explorer

Hey @kimberly.fuhrman , that works for me! I didn't see that post in my search, so thanks for pointing it out to me.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

Thank you, Michael!

-Kimberly

twellins
Advocate

This would work REALLY well for view templates as well.  Currently we have "placeholder links" called LINK_ARCH1 for example and all of our View templates are setup to these links.  We simply replace the link with the correct file and the view templates will automatically adopt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report