Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple 'view range's on a single plan

Multiple 'view range's on a single plan

Sometimes you want to 'skip' something in the model that is being cut by the view range but you want to hide / not show; maybe it is not required to be shown on the plan or it is a somewhat redundant element. Some objects are needed to be shown as an overall, but not the floor plan. It is quite difficult if you need to hide or filter since the object might be a common object type. Maybe it would be ideal to let users to 'split' the plan vertically by having multiple 'view range's on a single floor plan, instead of just one cut per floor plan.

5 Comments
lucdoucet_msdl
Advisor

@gevanKGYB4 

Maybe it would be ideal to let users to 'split' the plan vertically by having multiple 'view range's on a single floor plan, instead of just one cut per floor plan.

You seem to be describing the plan region view range functionality described here: Create a Plan Region or am I miss reading your intention?

Sometimes you want to 'skip' something in the model that is being cut by the view range but you want to hide / not show; maybe it is not required to be shown on the plan or it is a somewhat redundant element. Some objects are needed to be shown as an overall, but not the floor plan. It is quite difficult if you need to hide or filter since the object might be a common object type.

Also, it does not seem clear as to the reason why a different view range will be an effective solution for masking a model element that you don't want to have appear individually ("skip something") or generally (ex. "show overall but not on the floor plan"). These seem to be better handled by rule based filters and templates that the manipulation of the view range. I am assuming here that if you change the view range in a portion of the view, you still want the floor elements to show up.

Could you clarify with a more specific example of the type of element that would need to be masked in these cases?

-luc

gevanKGYB4
Advocate

Hi @lucdoucet_msdl ,

A plan region only 'moves' and/or 'adjusts' the view range on a certain region. It works for the 'other' needed cut, but forces to abandon the current view range. Plan region does not work if one need both cuts.

Hiding or filtering sometimes do not work if the intended hidden or filtered our element is a common object. Take a regular wall for example. On the following example, I don't really want to show the walls in between the wall openings above and openings below. Since the walls are continuous, hiding or filtering our this wall in between is not really an option. Splitting the wall is quite a bit of work, and I will still run into problems if the openings have differrent widths or heights.

gevanKGYB4_0-1629212436083.png

Figure 1. Elevation View for Wall Example.

To show in a floor plan, on how to build the wall on Figure 1 is a bit hard. The current view range cut on Figure 2 shows the current floor plan.

gevanKGYB4_1-1629212639655.png

Figure 2. Current View Range 'A' on Plan View

On Figure 2, the builder can't really tell what they need to do to build the wall. Compare this to Figure 3 below.

gevanKGYB4_2-1629212810816.png

Figure 3. Proposed Idea with Multiple View Ranges 'B' on Plan View

On Figure 3, it is quite easy to show what are the elements above and below. The workaround done is splitting the current floor plan into 3 and assign different view ranges on them.

For context on the elevation view:

• X shows wall openings
  • Above the openings, there are beams to support the wall above the opening
  • Dashed lines inside the wall openings are for the beams representation on the plan.

For context on the plan view:

• Thick dashed lines are walls below.
  • Thin -hatched walls are walls above (walls on the current floor elevation)

Just additional info: I come from structural engineer background.

lucdoucet_msdl
Advisor

@gevanKGYB4 

Thanks, this example would suggest that your Idea proposal is to have an option that changes how the hidden lines are displayed in a structural view as described in About Hidden Lines and View Discipline.

So in addition to seeing all modelled elements under the main cutting plane as one thin dashed linetype (current OOTB behaviour), you would like to have an additional global view cutting plane height (Proposed Idea) associated to the hidden lines feature that allows you to show the bold dashed line types through elements and openings that are found on the level below.

I say global to the view, unless of course, you would want the functionality of showing what I'll call the "Cut below" lines at different heights in difference regions on the plane. In this sense, the Proposed Idea would be akin to a Plan region affecting hidden line view only.

I think that this would be a bit confusing to apply multiple additional cutting plane heights to the hidden lines generated in the above and below the main cutting plane. There's just so much a person can understand when there are multitudes of dashed lines be they bold, medium, thin, tightly spaced or widely spaced.

Hope this description can clarify the discussion thread in order for your proposal to gain more support.

-luc

gevanKGYB4
Advocate

Hi @lucdoucet_msdl ,

I disagree with your conclusion of the idea proposal. Hidden lines graphic is a different matter if compared to view range.

I think the hidden lines graphic idea does sound confusing because applying multiple plan regions on to a floor plan does sound weird. Regions on a floor plan can be a bit confusing, so I don't suggest to use plan regions on a floor plan especially for common cases.  For me, multiple view ranges on a plan do not sound that confusing since it only means cutting the current view range into multiple view range.

I completely disagree with what you say about the capacity of what a person can understand from different lines/dots (what Revit understands). I can only say that there are many reasons why the linetype and weight options exist.

adamEF2ZS
Observer

I was wondering this, too.

I'm designing a garage with a workshop behind it on a sloped lot. The workshop's floor plane is 6ft below the garage's, but I'd like the plan view to show both structures cut at around 4ft off the floor to see all of the door and window sizes/locations. 

It would be nice if you could stagger a plan view the way you can stagger a section view.

Thoughts?

TIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report