Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify Sub Elements on Floor with non-variable thickness - maintain perpendicular thickness

Modify Sub Elements on Floor with non-variable thickness - maintain perpendicular thickness

Current situation: Using modify subelements on a floor with non-variable thickness results in a constant vertical thickness. This causes the perpendicular thickness to vary according to the slope of the floor. See screen shot.

Desired situation: The thickness should be kept constant perpendicular to the floor. Thereby maintaining the thickness used in structural calculations.

9 Comments
iCs-tna
Enthusiast

In "structural"-sense the thickness of a floor is perpendicular to the surface (red). Unfortunately Revit constructs a floor with a "vertical thickness" (black). It would be nice to have the option, that the floor thickness is perpendicular to the surface, also because the structural axis are differen (dashed line)

floor.JPG

rnil
Participant

Exactly so @iCs-tna, thank you for your input .

Just a small side note: I would still like the opportunity to have vertical edges with the constant perpendicular thickness, shown in blue.

rnil_1-1623829843008.png

Martijn.Pater
Advocate

@rnil Depending on your situation coulnd't you (just) create it as in-place floor or as roof (by mass face or extrusion)? It would be nice to have some sort of roof functionality for floor category though perhaps. But using modify subelements to create a curved structure doesn't seem like the best approach tbh...

rnil
Participant

@Martijn.Pater Modify sub elements is an intuitive functionality which almost gives us what we need. The possibility to use basic structural floor family types with all its parameters, full reinforcement functionality etc. From an engineering standpoint it makes no sense that Revit would manipulate one of the most important governing parameters of a slab when it is actively set to non-variable.

The example shows a segmented slab approximating a curve, but it also applies to slabs with varying slopes due to e.g. drainage purposes.

G_GRIESSEN
Contributor

I submitted that strange behaviour with the Autodesk support and they redirected it to the development team. Turns out, it is a bug and it will be fixed in one of the upcomming updates. Although they couldn't tell me, when exactly it will be fixed.

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@G_GRIESSEN  Thank you for submitting the issue! Since this is a bug,  we can move this discussion over to the forums. If there is additional or different functionality in this that is not part of the bug issue, we can leave it as an Idea. Thoughts?

rnil
Participant

@G_GRIESSEN @kimberly.fuhrman 

I also contacted support at first, but was encouraged by the autodesk employee to submit it as an idea here as well. As I understood it, to gain traction so the development team would see the need for this to be prioritised. So how to best proceed with this to make sure the development team is aware of and prioritising this, is up to you @kimberly.fuhrman¨. 

kimberly.fuhrman
Autodesk

@rnil ,

Since this Idea has gathered quite a few votes very quickly, I will leave it here. The forums is typically where support escalation happens. Either way, we can now track the issue here and in our support system. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Kimberly

rnil
Participant

@kimberly.fuhrman Any updates? I see this is still an issue in version 2022.1.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report