Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage Links - Sorting

Manage Links - Sorting

Please allow us to sort Files in the Manage Links GUI for all links including RVT, DWG, Images etc.

Sometimes we can have so many different DWGs loaded in (not good or preferred workflow, out of necessity from architectural internal layouts...) and the sheer amount of DWGs can be overwhelming. The same applies to RVT models with multiple parts per consultant eg. 3 models per consultant, ~8 consultants + as-built models from surveyors etc. easily adds up to 30 revit models loaded in.

Now all these are not loaded at the same time and worksets are being used to optimise resources i.e. hide elements not required at that time. BUT, reloading requires the effort as the filenaming is not consistent and all over the show (again, laborious to manually rename files received from other team members.)

I propose we get a link sorting browser, similar to the project browser, that allows us to apply certain tags to links and create either subgroups similar to the project browser or simply sorted groups with each consultant of group of model types bunched together.

7 Comments
CFNBen
Advocate

I can't comment on the solution you're suggesting as I can't figure out how it would be helpful. 

However - do you not have a common naming convention that all the team members are following? When we go to reload a link to bring in the latest model, we don't have to rename anything as the model always has the same name. Everyone syncs, we bring the new model into the folder, reload the link, sync and then everyone else syncs 

pieterdewaal
Advocate

@CFNBen 

We do have a naming convention; however, files received from the other consultants/as builts/markups do not conform. When you have 30 different links listed and all the files are shown mixed owing to poor naming, and upwards of 100-150 dwgs, it becomes a problem to reload the links. Adding a sorting parameter, similar to how discipline and sub-disciplines ordering of views work in the project browser, would resolve this issue and always bundle say the architect, electrical and structural engineer's models into their own respective groupings.

Renaming files received is not a practical solution, but grouping them is as the same instance is simply reloaded while remaining in its logical group.

CFNBen
Advocate

I can totally see how having that many links can be come impossible to manage without a decent sorting function!

Are you familiar with the concept of a BEP (BIM Execution Plan) or similar document? It sounds like it could be worth you advocating for them on your projects. 

Having all stakeholders aligned to a common naming convention such as ISO 19650 would really help you, I feel!

pieterdewaal
Advocate

@CFNBen 

The BIM team from the architect's issued a BEP which we work to. Unfortunately, a lot of team members are not using Revit and rely on AutoCAD. Addtionally, we have individual DWGs for tenant layouts per floor (not in Revit), individual sleeve layouts per floor (not in Revit as BEP mentions 2D penetrations requirements) etc.

Even with a BEP, having an optional hierarchy with which we can neaten the manage links viewer would improve the workflow of all users. I see this as a win-win with no drawbacks.

Agree with the first poster that it would be very helpful to group linked models so you can toggel the visibility of multiple models quick and consistantly but also keep the options to check/uncheck the individual models as subcategories if you want to adjust your selection.

Renaming models from external consultants is not a option for us since it violates regulations of bim-protocols in atleast my country. 

Made a rough mock-up of what it could look like:

davidjohanssonvbk_1-1663067906650.png

pieterdewaal
Advocate

@david.johansson.vbk Spot on mock up!

robert.jungergard
Enthusiast

Is there any update to this idea suggestion, Autodesk?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report