Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduce cables not just wires

Introduce cables not just wires

REVIT have skipped modeling feeders for a long time, since 2018 version being able to connect two panels and adjust the connection length is better than nothing, but that is not enough on the long run, cable layout on cable trays is crucial for cable tray tagging on plan in mega projects to show cables path on cable tray, also for contractor drawings, he needs cable tray sections showing cable distribution and layout on cable tray, REVIT should either devise a way to model feeders or either devise a way to associate them with cable trays and show where they are present along the cable tray or not through annotations, also affect cable tray sections by showing there  

12 Comments
Martin__Schmid
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi @Anonymous  - can you provide an example of what you would want to see "cable tray sections showing cable distribution and layout on cable tray" - is your immediate problem for specific types of cables for a particular purpose where there are a few larger cables in a tray.. or is your need to include a section showing the detailed layout of trays with 10's of communications (cat-5) cables?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Martin__Schmid - below is a sample to what I meant by cable tray sections,

1 - the ability to show cable laid out on tray using some sort of symbolic shape

2 - the ability to tag information or parameters related to cables somehow 

3 - the ability to tabulate such data

note : all of the below are power cables while cat-5 is networking cable

Cable tray.JPG

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

thanks for the image.. very helpful..  what is the 'minimum distance occupied by the feeder' property?  I notice it is 2x the feeder diameter for Feeder 1 and 2... why is that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Martin__Schmid

The idea is calculating "space occupied by all feeders value" (the next standard cable tray size higher than this value will be chosen) which is the total of "everything on tray" but calculating the diameters will not be accurate since there are clearance distance regulated by code, so as a work around, minimum distance occupied by feeder = feeder diameter + clearance, and clearance in that case (this might differ depending on local regulations or design criteria) was equal to the cable diameter, hope that helps

LyleHardin
Advisor

Our electrical department is also always wanting a method of dealing with cables. If you have wires, conduit, and cable trays in Revit, why not Cables? We are a full service engineering firm working with heavy industry and cables with cable tags or IDs are a major part of our electrical department's work.  A big bonus would be to be able to model all this in Revit, then have Revit create the schematics or one line diagrams, or at least provide a method to link the 2D line drawings to the 3D data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the inability to relate a cable to a conduit or to run a multi-conductor cable in tray is a serious omission from the product and would be a good reason to look at other design software options in my opinion.  I was very disappointed to find that this is not an option in REVIT.

The limitation in 2D modes are also a real problem for any schematics and one-lines.   The current situation requires an engineer to maintain both autocad and revit licenses---especially an electrical consultant.   This is leaving a big opening for a competitor to provide a viable alternate solution to the market if Autodesk isn't serving the need.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LyleHardin 

While having a way for "Modeling" cables physically is a big bonus to have (at least follow cable tray paths and hence, produce accurate lengths), but for Revit create schematics or single line diagrams, we will definitely need a lot of "under the hood" features re-considered.

Revit will need to allow customization of the way it calculates voltage drop, for example, recognize cable installation methods and different derating factors, in addition to a lot more, not sure if will have this so many features in the short run though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Many third-party software are trying to "imitate" the missing cables but end up needing the user to manually input properties that should have been extracted from the design itself and that drives engineers to be reluctant to replace the classical process using spreadsheets for example with a "partial automation" offered by current addins.

can we know when the Electrical power cable feature will be available in revit ? it has been almost 4 years of this post but no updates till now 

Martin__Schmid
Autodesk

Hi @narayan.kavinatamai3NGZW - thanks for the inquiry... unfortunately, no, it is not possible as a public company to state when something will (or may) be delivered.  You can, however, see that this is on the Revit Roadmap titled as Analytical Conductors.  

robert.francis2
Explorer

I work as BIM manager for one the UK's largest energy providers. I've been Revit user since 2004, certified trainer 2016-2019 and to date there is no cable function. Cables are one of main function of the business. As the business transitions from 2D AutoCAD to Revit the need for a cable function is a must. We build MV, HV and HVDC substation across the UK connecting wind farms, solar farms, battery storage and multi terminal links to other countries. There is a LV, MV, HV cable add-in at $500 for each type but it's just a conduit system and will not perform as needed (Waste of money). Revit hasn't changed that much in 18 years with minor changes year on year. Can the Autodesk Revit developers look into this as the building blocks are already there is just needs to be developed? I hope I'm not searching for solutions 10 years from now. I'm sure I could get most of the business to vote (22,000+ employees) if this would make Autodesk to listen 

When editing wire paths it is not possible to select cable containment (tray and conduit), instead we must drag by eye the wires to the containment. If the containment used for wires could be selected to automatically edit the path, it could simultaneously add an association on each tray as to what cables it contains. I don't think creating full detail section views will be at all simple, but at least if a schedule could be put on the sheet the person editing the layout detail would have good information. The reason it would not be simple is that separation not only depends on cable size and load, but also classification of load type, sometimes this is a security thing (e.g. secret vs classified).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report