Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix default view extents in elevations and sections

Fix default view extents in elevations and sections

I’d like Autodesk to fix a problem with the default view extents in elevations and sections.  Level elements define the default extents of views and this causes a problem when linked files contain outlier levels.

Currently I'm working in a model that contains an architect's linked model that is located in Sun Valley, Idaho that is 5000 feet above sea level.  They have drawn a physical level line at 0' sea level in a workset that I have turned off.   Still, every time I create a new elevation the crop box outline is 5000' high.  Granted, this is an extreme case, but many users complain about this. See the following post about this issue in this forum:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/crop-region-resets-after-jogging-section-ele...

The solution I propose is to add control over which level lines to use for the default view extents.  Imagine a dialog with 2 check boxes: 

When calculating the default view extents for sections and elevations:
[checkbox] exclude levels in linked models.
[checkbox] exclude levels in unloaded worksets.

This solution would also help with the related problem when jogging an elevation/section cut line.  However, Revit should take this case one step further:

My understanding is, when you jog an elevation/section cut-line, Revit creates a new view (using the default extents)…so that changes the crop outline, sometimes by 5000 feet!  So, if Revit is so smart that it can copy the annotation elements from the old view, and add them to the new view, why can't it also get the crop extents from the old view and apply those same extents to the new view?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report