Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit in-place Revit links

Edit in-place Revit links

As we are doing lots of model referencing and linking, it would be more efficient if Revit has the capability to "edit model links in-place". This means that we do not need to open the linked files separately to do the adjustments needed and the linked files can be edited directly to the currently opened working file.

37 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Autodesk,

My dream would be able to inplace edit linked files in Revit, similar to the function we have with CAD xref's.

This would save links being dropped when we open in the same Revit environment, and reduce the amount of circular references to keep everything coordinated.

I am sure others would love this function.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now this is a long shot...

We often need to have 2 or 3 linked models and it would save considerable amounts of time if these could be edited from within each other (much like the group editor).

Lots are going to ask why so this is why:

We are medium size FF&E contractors, our work consists of both fixed and loose furniture, when working on a project we are often provided with 2 models, the building and the M & E models which we link into our projects.

We create pdf & DWG layouts of the rooms we are working in and we also often supply our furniture model to the main contractor & Architect for visual and renders etc and also to the other subcontractors for clash detection etc.

The architect/main contractor want everything (fixed and loose furniture) but the subcontractors only want the fixed (as the loose simply clutters up their model).

We have no use for a central model as we currently only have a single person at any one time working on it and that is an entirely unnecessary complication, in addition worksets would only solve part of the issue.

To achieve what we want we create 3 models, a fixed furniture model, a loose furniture model and a drawing sheet model, this means we can use them as follows:

Fixed model - can be issued to the other subcontractors very quickly without having to delete all the views, 3D views, schedules and drawings

Loose model - as above can be issued with the above to the Main contractor/Architect for display to the client

Drawing Sheet model - contains sometimes hundreds of views, sheets, schedules etc that we can use to issue our drawings from

If anyone can suggest a better workflow I would love to hear it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Similar to editing a group but with RVT links versus opening a separate session of Revit and having to Syncronize and upload
Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

i need to be able to edit my links inside the file like edit xref in autocad using the refedit command and also send notification to the team link done in autocad

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be great if we have an option that give us the opportunity to edit the links files in the project that we have linked them. It would be Like the icon we have in AutoCad "edit block in place".

pedro
Contributor

Even being able to just have the linked model open in the same instance of revit would be helpful. Why must it be unloaded to open it? Currently I run two or more instances of REVIT to be able to switch between the linked models and the main model.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeap totally agree! Sometimes even that doesn't work, cause Revit won't reload the reference link as it 'thinks' Revit has it open. Very annoying.

Does anyone know if this has been addressed in 2019?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely agree with this idea. Especially in CCSM & MEP which have a lot of link models.

rommel_bernal
Contributor
Yes, for CCSM (Coordinated Combined Services Model) which is consist of 13 different systems model + ARC model + STR model, it will definitely boost productivity. Just imagine if you will be able to edit the linked model in the current model host where there are clashes as visually inspected, then the coordination would be much more smooth and instant.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely agree with this idea for more efficient coordination and production.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, I agreed also
its repeated a lot of times but Autodesk not paying attention to this valuable request

I hope the do this time

GA-LT
Advocate

it would be great!! but binding links without any problems and 10.000 warnings, deleted objects etc would be fine too! generally to bind rvt links is not possible now so it's useless. therefore more control and quick access to linked models will be very helpful

rommel_bernal
Contributor
Yes, we are also avoid binding links in our workflow as you had experienced. Another case also is one of our colleague binded 2 model versions of ACMV + Electrical and exploded both (old and new versions) and the next week we found out about the problem and we had a hard time in cleaning-up the host model to remove the older model.
pascal.robben
Enthusiast

what about company / aspectmodel rights when edit in place is an option?
If this would be a future option, edit in place should be able to lock models from editing when you are not the owner.

rommel_bernal
Contributor
That's a good idea Robben, a lock from the model author preventing other stakeholders to edit the model.
pieter1
Advisor
rommel_bernal
Contributor
Yes agree, never thought there is an earlier post with same requested feature.
RobertAGlover
Advocate

This is made more useful because you can't open a host model and a linked model in the same copy of Revit. I think they will need to get past that code bug before they can incorporate this idea. But I really really hope they can do it!

pascal.robben
Enthusiast

in BIM 360 it is possible to open host and linked models in the same copy of Revit

jdelaney_kearch
Contributor

We desperately need a tool that allows us to repeat apartment units. 

Model groups, assemblies, and traditional links just don't cut it. Whether it is a new tool or in-place link editing doesn't really matter to me. 

Desired functionality:

Copy one or multiple unit instances unit between levels

Changes in one unit propagate to all units of the same type

All editing happens in the same copy of Revit

Tag and schedule the entire unit

Control the visibility of the entire unit without having set up elaborate filters or create new types (this is why it is extremely difficult to work with groups)

Automatic disallow join to walls outside of the unit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report