Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declutter family section of project browser

Declutter family section of project browser

The family section in project browser is full of system categories. These cannot be deleted, and most of the time are just in the way. Please add a way to hide system categories or categories with no instances in the project. For me 80% of the list would go away and that would be great.

This idea could be rolled into the other idea of pulling the family section out of project browser and making it stand alone. That is also a good idea!

12 Comments
MuirEng
Collaborator
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since this involves all disciplines, I had nowhere else to post it but here. It's more of a gripe. When I start a new project, why does Revit automatically load families that I don't need or will ever use? It seems like it just populates the Browser with useless families that I can't even delete, making it that much harder and time consuming to find the actual family that I WILL USE.... +Annotation Symbols...+Cable Trays...+Ceilings...+Conduits...   Families that I'll never use or need. Do they really need to be populating the Browser? I know they're System Families, but can't that information remain in the background somewhere without having to overload my browser with useless information? 

Tags (4)
ipselute
Advisor

When you are starting a new project Revit creates it from a template file which contains all those elements. Simply create a new project/revit file, delete (unload) all those elements you don't need and save the file as a (project) template. Then use that template each time you create a new project.

pieter4
Advisor

I get @Anonymous problem though, there is just a lot of stuff that you cannot get rid of and will never use.

However, there's already an idea to fix that so also add your vote to that one: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/declutter-family-section-of-project-browser/idi-p/7537525

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ipselute They are System Families and can't be deleted.

Aidenj
Enthusiast

Excellent ideas - thanks for sharing them. I hope someone at Autodesk is reading these product requests.

pieter4
Advisor

as architects we never use any of these, we'd love to hide/delete/filter them out to make our list easier to navigate.

Capture.JPG

cadmanger
Explorer

Great!

dplumb_BWBR
Advisor

At a minimum allow us to apply the same Discipline filter that we currently have in the Visibility/Graphics dialog.

dplumb_BWBR_0-1591882320356.png

MuirEng
Collaborator

Nice to see this one getting some traction. I'm 0 for about 10 acceptance vs ideas submitted. Having just one of my ideas accepted would really improve my attitude about this whole process, which I'm afraid to say is quite pessimistic right now. 

andrey_pawlow
Enthusiast

That will be very helpful to allow user to focus on selected family categories and instances the same way it alows to organise pages and views.  

The same idea was earlier submitted by @craigh_bim and voted by @Kevin.Bell @Anonymous @purvigirwin and @Anonymous , but it didn't get any support, I think this is worth bringing up once more. 

fruity101079
Collaborator

Hello

The family tree structure is a bit chaotic. It would be great to be able to hide the ones we are never going to use.

Or filter by discipline.

Exemple: An electrician is not going to use walls, profiles, stairs, etc... in his common work.

Add sub-categories would be great also. It's not very user friendly when you have to scroll down for 2 minutes because there are dozens of elbows, connectors, differents materials, differents diameters, etc...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators