Announcements
Welcome to the Revit Ideas Board! Before posting, please read the helpful tips here. Thank you for your Ideas!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Browser

Family Browser

http://www.kiwicodes.com/products/14-family-browser.html

Remove Families from Project Browser.  Provide new Family Browser.  nuff said...

46 Comments
DarylGregoire3375
Contributor

Having the Project Browser control all access to all views, sheets, schedules, familes, groups etc is insane. Break it up into seperate more user friendly graphically represented palettes.

Best would be user created palettes like we were doing in AutoCAD +15 years ago with both user and network controled content. The BIM manager could load up the palettes with all the project content ahead of time.

There should be at the very least a favorites palettes for all the families we use Over and Over and Over and using the 'type selector' and 'PB' is absolutely brutal. 25 years ago I could drag in 10's of AutoCAD blocks etc from my summasketch table in seconds flat. That time frame has increased 50 times ! Scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and searching for a single family.

Tags (1)
richard.taylor
Contributor

Create a "Family Browser" dockable panel that Family/Type can be reordered or reclassified with "Favorite" settings saved.

bosborne
Advocate
EKey
Advocate

Personally I love the BIM List Browser.

bosborne
Advocate

Potato/Potatoe

Either one works for me - get the familes out of the Project browser and get a dedicated browser for families.  Both Tools have really good functionality that should be investigated to produce a similar solution as part of the Revit platform. 

ktaltd
Enthusiast

The whole project browser needs to be reworked - maybe look at adding "tear off" sub views.   Currently handling over 400 items in the browser on a project and it is slow and cumbersome even with all the filtering etc.

pieter5
Advisor

@ktaltd I completely agree. I think having +1000 items in the project browser is no exception (especially if you include all the families etc). I would suggest you also take a look at the idea for a tabbed project browser and the idea for quick acces to browser organization through a dropdown .

harlan_brumm
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your submission and votes on this idea!  We are evaluating where this request falls into our roadmap and will provide an update when we have made a decision.

The Factory

ktaltd
Enthusiast

Great is is being looked at - really does need some work - happy to provide feedback on any directions.

rolandga
Enthusiast

Yes! Most importantly stop making us browse through Windows folders when loading families from the library, Apart from the plugins mentioned above Unifilabs and ContentStudio are two excellent examples of how to put content at your fingertips with indexed search for both preloaded and externally stored content

tony.crawford
Enthusiast

FWIW:

Separating a Family Browser from the Project Browser was in a Revit beta a couple years ago. But it was pulled out of the beta before I even saw it. 

gareth.spencer
Enthusiast

I personally think having a family browser built-in Revit is a must. It makes finding a family and importing families loads quicker. 

I know others have posted 3rd party applications but I know one which works really well and that's Graitec's Family Manager. (see below you tube video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLpEiqoWjv4G7WDeTcIeYwoxckCOAVrkqG&v=V3AMLkqibks 

jabir_
Explorer

I suggest you to take a look at Fisa Family Browser

pieter5
Advisor

This topic has been under review for 9 months. I wonder whether there are any updates? Any feedback we can provide that would help speed things up?

EKey
Advocate

It would be nice to have a comment from Autodesk team. What is the future for the Family Browser? Would we get it some day or should we start developing our own?

SeanMTA
Advocate

This would be incredibly helpful!

pieter5
Advisor

I would like to add that we would like to see a solution that:

• is integrated with Revit, not a separate application
  • has a spotlight search at the top
  • has a customizable organization with at least two levels (cfr. the dropdown + tabs in Kiwicodes browser). We would the first level to sort per main task (conceptual design, furniture placement, electrical, ...) and the second level for subcategories (for example furniture placement would be split up in chairs, tables, ...). And please, don't use a tree again.
  • has an option to show preview images (thumbnails)
  • lists both families saved in the project + loads families from a network path (the network path could be defined in the template)
  • handles types better:
    • Don't show the type if there's only one and it has the same name as the family. A lot of families need only 1 type.
    • Show the types when you mouse over on an object. That will condense the list a lot when browsing for a model.

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

@Anonymous @sasha.crotty Any update on this? Been under review for amost 2 years as the 6th most popular idea and it would solve a lot of problems.

adrian.calabria
Advocate

How is the review going??

sarsenault2CCSS
Advisor

Should be any time now

7c3.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report